|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shadowrun Returns - Berlin DLC Delayed

Default Shadowrun Returns - Berlin DLC Delayed

August 18th, 2013, 02:43
Shadowrun Returns has a new post-fuding update informing us that the Berlin DLC is being delayed, and that a save everywhere option might be forthcoming.

Beyond working on bug fixes, translations, Linux, and finishing the tablet versions of the game, the engineering team has been investigating improvements to our save game functionality. We are aware that there are a number of people who would like the ability to save in the middle of scenes. However, we also know that adding this feature would involve major changes to the core infrastructure of the game. Its still too early to say whether this is going to be possible, but we wanted to let you know that were actively investigating it and will let you know more in the coming weeks.

We've heard a lot of questions from you wondering what to expect from Berlin. Well, our original plan called for a modest-sized campaign that we could ship by the end of October. However, after listening to your forum discussions and feedback, it became clear that you would like to see something bigger (and so would we). So, we've decided to spend more time on Berlin to create an experience closer to the size of Dead Mans Switch. A story of that scope will take longer, so were targeting January for its release. While we're still in the early stages of development and many things could change, wed like to share what were planning so far. For example - we know that we want our next story to feel more like the player is part of a shadowrunning crew and contain more corporate intrigue.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 18th, 2013, 02:43
A save anywhere option "has to be forthcoming."

Because of time constraints, I spent about 3 hours total on the last mission due to a number of restarts.

Until the save feature is fixed, there will be no further Shadowruns for me.

Dajjer

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2013, 02:52
I wonder if we can import an existing character. It would be nice if we could, but I'm guessing the answer is probably no.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 18th, 2013, 04:08
No surprise. I'm guessing they want to ship it before the Christmas rush though.

Berlin is getting feature creep it seems to me.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

August 18th, 2013, 04:22
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I wonder if we can import an existing character. It would be nice if we could, but I'm guessing the answer is probably no.
Last I heard, the developers are still debating whether they should design the Berlin campaign for a character that finished "Dead Man's Switch" or a new character. They obviously left the possibility open at the end of DMS. I'd also kind of prefer if they made it so we could carry our character over, but the downside of that would be that those characters are already pretty powerful… so they'd probably be godlike by the end of Berlin. They could solve this problem by just making the karma rewards per run smaller in Berlin though

daveyd

Sentinel

August 18th, 2013, 06:00
I'd prefer a new character. What I like about RPGs is the advancement, starting as a nothing and getting powerful little by little. If I start already powerful then might as well play a shooter.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 18th, 2013, 08:05
Originally Posted by Lucky Day View Post
Berlin is getting feature creep it seems to me.
In this case, I think that's a good thing. I'm a little shocked they wsnted to do an even simpler/shorter campaign than dead man's switch, to be honest. Also that it takes them this long to build one on this level. But I am happy to hear about the new elements, good tobhear they are listening to feedback.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 18th, 2013, 13:13
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
I'm a little shocked they wsnted to do an even simpler/shorter campaign than dead man's switch, to be honest. Also that it takes them this long to build one on this level.
I agree… I thought the same thing after reading the paragraph. I enjoyed the "Dead man's switch", but would love to play both a larger and deeper campaign. I had hoped the new setting would offer this.

Zerotown

SasqWatch

August 18th, 2013, 15:44
Scary quote: "So, we've decided to spend more time on Berlin to create an experience closer to the size of Dead Mans Switch.

What was Berlin going to be before, 4 hours long?

Stingray

Sentinel

August 18th, 2013, 16:57
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post
In this case, I think that's a good thing. I'm a little shocked they wsnted to do an even simpler/shorter campaign than dead man's switch, to be honest. Also that it takes them this long to build one on this level. But I am happy to hear about the new elements, good to hear they are listening to feedback.
They're probably going to create a bunch of new art assets; new buildings, props, character portraits, new creatures, etc. I think Jordan Weisman has also hinted at the possibility of creating an Astral Space segment…. So there's a lot of stuff to work on beyond simply writing the story and making the campaign. That and they still have a lot of their staff working on patching the base game engine.

daveyd

Sentinel

August 18th, 2013, 17:15
Given that they've already developed the engine, I was expecting something a little more ambitious. Surely they can develop the scenario, write patches, and create art assets in parallel? Ah well, maybe next year….

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

August 18th, 2013, 23:36
We all seem to be forgetting one thing here money. All the kickstarter money is gone. There now relying on the money brought in from selling the game.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 19th, 2013 at 03:25. Reason: Spelling mistake fixed.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

August 19th, 2013, 00:06
Will short games sell as well as longer games? I guess we'll see.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

August 19th, 2013, 00:45
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
Scary quote: "So, we've decided to spend more time on Berlin to create an experience closer to the size of Dead Mans Switch.

What was Berlin going to be before, 4 hours long?
More likely.

"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Gokyabgu

SasqWatch

August 19th, 2013, 02:40
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
We all seem to be forgetting one thing here money. All the kickstater money is gone. There now relying on the money brought in from selling the game.
I was also going to mention that but I guess their deciding to considerably up the scale of Berlin means it sold well enough.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

August 19th, 2013, 02:58
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
I was also going to mention that but I guess their deciding to considerably up the scale of Berlin means it sold well enough.
Yeah, thats my guess, too. Of course, any guess can be wrong but, judging from the little info available, I think it's within commonsensical area.

Dusk

Sentinel

August 19th, 2013, 05:37
I don't know why but this game really couldn't hold my attention past the first playthrough and I usually try many characters. Not even the promise of UGCs enticed me back as I found the gameplay itself rather disappointing

SonOfCapiz

Sentinel

August 19th, 2013, 13:38
I liked the game well enough, but I'm sure the best is yet to come.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

August 19th, 2013, 17:44
Perhaps they are hoping for a serialized release model? If Berlin sells well enough, it may trigger another follow-on.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

August 19th, 2013, 19:39
I was one of the guys that thought that Berlin was going to be a full size campaign and that DMS was just a sample mod ala NWN vanilla.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Shadowrun Returns - Berlin DLC Delayed