|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Lords of the Fallen

Default Lords of the Fallen

August 14th, 2013, 16:53
‘Lords of the Fallen’ is a dark action-RPG being developed by a former ‘Witcher 2′ developer, and it looks a lot like ‘Dark Souls.’

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain…en-dark-souls/

"Set in a richly created fantasy world where the Gods have failed mankind, players will take on the role of a human named Harkyn who sets out on a quest to stand against an apparently unstoppable supernatural force. Players travel across a world that is deeply dived by those that follow and others that resist the Fallen God. Along their journey they will be faced with a series of decisions that will alter both the world and their character thus dramatically impacting the storyline."

"It's a hardcore game, so we spent a lot of time prototyping it," executive producer Tomasz Gop - once the face of The Witcher 1 & 2 - told me at Polish event Digital Dragons.

Promisingly, Lords of the Fallen will have been in development for two years come September. "It's a hardcore game, so we spent a lot of time prototyping it," executive producer Tomasz Gop - once the face of The Witcher 1 & 2 - told me at Polish event Digital Dragons.

The aim is to get it out at some point next year.

"It's a challenging game, action RPG, which means a lot of advanced combat," he explained. "When you walk through a location, and you have to fight 10 enemies, that takes around an hour.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20…les-action-rpg

Seems worth keeping an eye on.

Grangokhan

Watchdog

August 14th, 2013, 16:58
The game has also been covered many times already on the watch. So give it a look also for more information.

Link- http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/news?ref=0&id=548

RPGWatch Senior News Editor & Moderator

"
I Am a Proud BioWare Fanboy, and Have Been One for Fifteen Years."

Paypal Donation Link - If you like my work please donate.
Last edited by Couchpotato; August 15th, 2013 at 17:50.

Couchpotato

The Overworked Potato
RPGWatch Team

August 14th, 2013, 17:00
I keep forgetting about this one. Surely worth keeping an eye on. Has there been any gameplay video footage yet?

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

August 14th, 2013, 17:03
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
I keep forgetting about this one. Surely worth keeping an eye on. Has there been any gameplay video footage yet?
No the coverage found right now is the same stuff recycled since E3. Probably wont be any videos till next year at best.

RPGWatch Senior News Editor & Moderator

"
I Am a Proud BioWare Fanboy, and Have Been One for Fifteen Years."

Paypal Donation Link - If you like my work please donate.

Couchpotato

The Overworked Potato
RPGWatch Team

August 14th, 2013, 17:13
Doesn't look like we'll be able to cover this at the GC, although developer Deck 13 is there and publisher City Interactive probably too.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 14th, 2013, 17:34
What did he say up there? I'll be like Dark Souls (the "awsomest" console port on PC)?
I'm definelty not buying if it's even a tiniest bit similar to that.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

August 15th, 2013, 14:37
And thanks for posting about this game. Sometimes we do indeed overlook RPGs … and especially games outside the big franchises need more visibility.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

August 15th, 2013, 17:21
Looks very interesting! This one had passed me by too.

mogwins

Sentinel

August 18th, 2013, 00:47
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
What did he say up there? I'll be like Dark Souls (the "awsomest" console port on PC)?
I'm definelty not buying if it's even a tiniest bit similar to that.
Granted the PC port sucked ass but if you played it on console I'd imagine your opinion could be different.

I like that this game is an action-RPG but will actually have challenging combat. Hopefully that's combined with a non-linear narrative.

Grangokhan

Watchdog

August 18th, 2013, 08:51
I'm currently playing Dark Souls an the PC (having previously played through it on the 360) and I've not encountered a single bug or glitch (and I've modded the resolution and UI). So it's made it to a good state eventually, though clearly the PC was an afterthought and this wasn't the right way to do a port.

mogwins

Sentinel

February 11th, 2015, 05:21
I purchased Lords of the Fallen today and played for about an hour.

My early impression is that it's pretty solid. The combat is satisfyingly visceral and melee has a real feeling of impact. The visuals are very good minus the typical lack of anti-aliasing that DX11 games suffer from.

I haven't seen a lot of different enemies yet in the short time I've played it, but I'm impressed by the monster design in what I've seen so far. Instead of just having the typical high-fantasy type creatures you normally see in games like this, there are some monsters that are downright alien looking.

The controls are also very solid. Much better than the PC port of Dark Souls at least. I messed around for awhile with both K+M and a gamepad, and both felt equally smooth.

It runs great for me on High settings, and I haven't experienced any of the crashes or bugs that I've seen a lot of people talking about. Granted, I haven't played very long either.

My only complaint so far is the camera. It's pretty wonky in tight spaces, and there's no zoom feature which I like to have in 3rd-person games.

Based on what I've played so far, I'm surprised this game isn't mentioned more often around here.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2015, 06:06
Yes, excellent game. It was my game of the year.

Positives-
- exploration
- combat
- loot
- secret areas
- creative enemies
- move sets, different weapons play differently.
- great M&K support out of the box

Negatives-

- bugs and glitches on release
- wonky camera in close quarters
- story and ending

sakichop

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2015, 06:17
I lost interest in this game when it came out in such a horrendous state. Did the worst problems get ironed out? How stable is it?

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

February 11th, 2015, 06:19
Are there visual clues for the secret areas?

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2015, 06:33
Originally Posted by Nerevarine View Post
I lost interest in this game when it came out in such a horrendous state. Did the worst problems get ironed out? How stable is it?
All my problems were fixed in the last patch. If you want to be sure though they are supposed to release another patch with the upcoming DLC

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Are there visual clues for the secret areas?
Yes. The spoiler is just how to spot them. I didn't list where any are.

Spoiler – secrets

I should say there are some other secret rooms to find but they're more obvious and you should find them pretty easily. The ones in the spoiler were much harder and I probably wouldn't have even looked for them if I hadn't stumbled on to one by accident.

sakichop

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2015, 07:12
Good to know, thanks Sakichop. I'm glad that this game eventually got in better condition - always a shame when a promising game simply doesn't get fixed.

Nerevarine

Keeper of the Watch

February 11th, 2015, 08:33
How does the story/exposition compare to Dark Souls?

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 11th, 2015, 08:45
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The combat is satisfyingly visceral and melee has a real feeling of impact.
I shall have to have a peek. My search for truly satisfying melee combat in a game has been long.

If you believe everything you read, do not read.
Japanese proverb

Ripper

I may chew things

February 11th, 2015, 13:38
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
How does the story/exposition compare to Dark Souls?
The story is more transparent in that there's actually a story there to follow but it's nothing special and wouldn't be a reason to play the game imo.

There is some C&C though but I only played through once so I have no idea if other choices actually make a difference.

I guess I should say there are choices, I'm not sure if there are consequences or not.

sakichop

SasqWatch

February 11th, 2015, 13:54
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
The story is more transparent in that there's actually a story there to follow but it's nothing special and wouldn't be a reason to play the game imo.

There is some C&C though but I only played through once so I have no idea if other choices actually make a difference.

I guess I should say there are choices, I'm not sure if there are consequences or not.
Thanks for the answer

I just bought it, as I'm curious.

The story doesn't really need to be good - but it does need to be there. I can't enjoy Dark Souls because I find the story too opaque and it might as well not be there at all.

How about exploration? Can you find books/journals/notes and stuff like that? Or is it Dark Souls with "glowing objects" here and there?

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Lords of the Fallen