|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Grim Dawn - Kickstarter Delayed

Default Grim Dawn - Kickstarter Delayed

August 17th, 2013, 23:47
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Kickstarters and all games for that matter should just give a release date that is a year or 2 after what they think will be the real release date.
Unfortunately, Hofstadter's recursive law dictates that won't work: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law".

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

August 18th, 2013, 01:21
Originally Posted by Raldor View Post
This is one of the things I don't like about stretch goals on Kickstarter. I see the need for them, and I'm not even saying the bad outweighs the good… but something rubs me the wrong way when they suggest that they're missing their goal because the funding went so well.

Sometimes a project has so many stretch goals, so far beyond their initial goal that you begin to wonder if they really know what they want to make in the first place. I don't know the solution and I don't necessarily want to see overfunding go away, but something isn't quite right about it.
Most concepts for games are far larger and more intricate then what gets released since there are limits in resources. If the amount of resources you have increases then you can get closer to what you originally wanted for the game. The game concept I have would probably cost $100 million to make but since that probably would never happen I would need to limit it based on the resources I would get when I decide to try getting it made.

PS. Realms of Arkania is up to 1.18 and some people have finished the game.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar

August 18th, 2013, 01:26
I can't say it's a big surprise and I imagine it will become the norm. It just takes time to make a game but if you tell people 3-4 years they will never, ever give you their money. So if you haven't worked on it years already you aren't going to be done in 18-24 mos.

So I am curious to see how this plays out in the long term. Will people get used to it or will they give up on kickstarting games?

ManWhoJaped

Sentinel

August 18th, 2013, 05:18
As compared to legend of dawn which released too early.

Bargeral

Who watches the Watcher?

August 18th, 2013, 08:07
Originally Posted by ManWhoJaped View Post
I can't say it's a big surprise and I imagine it will become the norm. It just takes time to make a game but if you tell people 3-4 years they will never, ever give you their money.
I would.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

August 18th, 2013, 14:17
I trust these folks. Many of the devs are ex-Iron Lore and 38 Studios people.

I can't wait to get my grubby lil' hands on Grim Dawn but I'd rather have them spend time to iron out all the bugs and issues.

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Grim Dawn - Kickstarter Delayed