|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Gearbox Lends Homeworld IP

Default Gearbox Lends Homeworld IP

September 2nd, 2013, 06:07
If you were hoping for another Homeworld game then Polygon has good and bad news.

Link-http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/1/4684…e-shipbreakers

The Good News

Hardware: Shipbreakers, the spiritual successor to the Homeworld franchise being developed by founding members of Relic Entertainment, is now, thanks to Gearbox Software, officially a Homeworld game.

The game will now be titled Homeworld: Shipbreakers as part of a deal signed by Gearbox and developer Blackbird Interactive at PAX. What's more, Gearbox Software will help Blackbird complete the game with the help of financial and production resources, CEO Randy Pitchford told Polygon today.

"These guys have been funded by private equity, but it's clear it was going to take many millions of dollars more," Pitchford said. "We're giving them the brand and the resources to make this happen. Now, these guys are cooking and with the money they have now, they can grow the team."

The deal, Pitchford said, was signed last Wednesday during PAX Dev, a developer-only event that precedes PAX Prime.

The game formerly known as Hardware: Shipbreakers was announced earlier this year as a spiritual successor — structured as a prequel, however — to Relic's Homeworld franchise.

"Hardware and Homeworld inevitably share much of the same DNA, and that's a good thing," Blackbird CEO Rob Cunningham said at the time. "Homeworld was a fantastic game and we want to recapture that. But what we're offering with Hardware is really a different kind of RTS experience that isn't found in Homeworld or any other RTS."

The Bad News

Well let's just say it's being described as a social strategy game. So we can assume it may be F2P or require a subscription.
"The vision is Google Earth meets RTS," he says, where instead of just being about quick micromanagement the strategy was dictated by a long-term macro game over weeks and months, with players staking control of pieces of a much larger planet.
Here are some videos

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Last edited by Couchpotato; September 2nd, 2013 at 11:53.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

September 2nd, 2013, 11:36
Well let's just say it's being described as a a social strategy game. So we can assume it may be F2P or require a subscription
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Nameless one

Wizzard

September 2nd, 2013, 11:52
Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Welcome to the darkside of fandom.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

September 2nd, 2013, 13:22
They really really really really should've made an Star Wars game with the Homeworld engine. I never understoof why LucasArts didn't go this route. It was a natural to me. Maybe LucasArts was too much shooter-centric and too much money-oriented then already.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 2nd, 2013, 13:36
Take a look at the effort to build a storyline. Videos only aim at creating the background for a story.

Homeworld was a tale of exile and colonization. Hard to fit a SW narrative.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

September 2nd, 2013, 14:01
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
They really really really really should've made an Star Wars game with the Homeworld engine. I never understoof why LucasArts didn't go this route. It was a natural to me. Maybe LucasArts was too much shooter-centric and too much money-oriented then already.
There is star wars mod for Homeworld 2.

Nameless one

Wizzard

September 2nd, 2013, 14:02
Oh. Thank you.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 2nd, 2013, 23:22
It seems it will not be a F2P game now thanks to Gearbox funding it. It's party time now break out the snacks and liquor.

Link-https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/statu…75147547496448
Randy Pitchford ‏

With our investment, Homeworld Shipbreakers can be a proper commercial release. No need for F2P

Last edited by Couchpotato; September 3rd, 2013 at 00:31.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

September 5th, 2013, 17:45
Woot, a new Homeworld! Wait, it doesn't take place in space? That's a bummer. I'd like a proper sequel to Homeworld, one which has ships fighting each other in space, not armed cars fighting each other on a planet. Oh well, will still keep an eye on this, but won't get too amped. At least it's not F2P shovelware.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Lurking Grue

Random Encounter #23

September 5th, 2013, 20:45
Well it isn't really Homeworld game, as said in OP game was called Hardware: Shipbreakers, but now it has Homeworld name slapped for promotion sake.RiP Homeworld we will never see proper sequel.

Nameless one

Wizzard

September 5th, 2013, 21:05
Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
Well it isn't really Homeworld game, as said in OP game was called Hardware: Shipbreakers, but now it has Homeworld name slapped for promotion sake.RiP Homeworld we will never see proper sequel.
From the looks of it will be a prologue based on the arid planet Kharak. Were they find the mother ship. Time will tell how it turns out, but yes it's going to be different.

You also have HD and regular versions being re-released by Gearbox. Look at at this way at least Homeworld is alive again as THQ just sat on it.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

September 5th, 2013, 21:27
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
From the looks of it will be a prologue based on the arid planet Kharak. Were they find the mother ship. Time will tell how it turns out, but yes it's going to be different.

You also have HD and regular versions being re-released by Gearbox. Look at at this way at least Homeworld is alive again as THQ just sat on it.
I wish I shared your optimism but after failed revivals of many series games I tend to keep expectations as low as posible.If some other developer like Ironclad games(they where in play when licence was on sale) got it I would be more positive, but Gearbox that only made shooters and all of the except Borderlands where either mediocre or just bad.

Nameless one

Wizzard

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Gearbox Lends Homeworld IP