|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Banner Saga - Previews & Pax Demo

Default The Banner Saga - Previews

September 6th, 2013, 01:10
I managed to roundup two previews for The Banner Saga, and a YouTube version of the Pax Demo thanks to GhanBuriGhan.

RTSguru

Throughout my demo session the quiet drumming in the background and the accompanying music lent a sense of urgency to the action, as Rook and Alette are on an important journey, gathering not just supplies but help on their quest. When I had to go, I didn't want to take the headphones off because it was just that pretty, even on its own.

The game's style, based upon classic hand-drawn animation and Viking design, is stylized yet realistic. Scenes are communicated not through voice acting or cutscenes, but through rich expressions. A narrowing of eyes here, a widening there, a gaze off to the side while encountering a difficult decision. These elements work to convey the characters' emotions and complement the dialogue on screen.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun

The Banner Sagaís single-player really did impress me, though. Itís still very obviously rough-around-the-edges (and itís still missing a few of said edges, to boot), but thereís heaps of promise. I felt like an incompetent, indecisive leader every trudging step of the way, and it was magnificent. The Banner Sagaís world is a harsh, frigid place, and its cast of characters are far from simple lockstep lackeys. If you want their respect, youíll have to earn it. Sometimes that means making tough calls Ė ugly decisions thatíll twist and writhe around inside your guts for days to come. But thatís leadership for you. Itís not about being loved. You get results, and you worry about popularity contests later.
More information.
Last edited by Couchpotato; September 6th, 2013 at 01:23.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

September 6th, 2013, 01:10
the video embedded in the article is for Dead State?

Lemonhead

Keeper of the Watch

September 6th, 2013, 01:24
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
the video embedded in the article is for Dead State?
Fixed my mistake. Check out the front page for the video.

"We must stand strong my fellow watchers against the horde of red trolls." - Couchpotato

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

September 6th, 2013, 10:45
Nice write-ups especially teh one by by RPS. I'm getting increasingly excited for this game.

GhanBuriGhan

Wose extraordinaire

September 7th, 2013, 21:06
I cannot wait for the single-player to come out!

Merin

'Author'

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Banner Saga - Previews & Pax Demo