|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Europa universalis IV impressions

Default Europa universalis IV impressions

September 3rd, 2013, 14:09
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I saw some yelling in the chat about NVIDIA drivers that the latest ones have really slowed down both EU4 and CK2. Could that be it?
Dunno, I have an NVIDIA and updated drivers yesterday but don't see any slowdown so far
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#21

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 3,292

Default 

September 4th, 2013, 03:39
Originally Posted by Gloo View Post
I only played the demo…
I just bought the full game yesterday so I'll post my experience here in a few days
Gloo is online now

Gloo

Gloo's Avatar
Sentinel

#22

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chapelle Guillaume
Posts: 323

Default 

September 4th, 2013, 09:30
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
I saw some yelling in the chat about NVIDIA drivers that the latest ones have really slowed down both EU4 and CK2. Could that be it?
Asus drivers so it cant be.

I think they skip sampling in order to optimize the computation load. When you are used to click at a high rate, the lag in the interface shows.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#23

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,143

Default 

September 4th, 2013, 09:41
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
Asus drivers so it cant be.

I think they skip sampling in order to optimize the computation load. When you are used to click at a high rate, the lag in the interface shows.
He is talking about graphics drivers and I'm pretty sure asus don't make those.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 958

Default 

September 5th, 2013, 12:42
ATI then.
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,143

Default 

September 5th, 2013, 12:52
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
ATI then.
I think you mean AMD

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 958

Default 

September 6th, 2013, 17:59
This is quite a fun way of them to integrate CK 2 methinks.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/14/th…ave-converter/
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#27

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,238
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

September 7th, 2013, 21:37
Originally Posted by ManWhoJaped View Post
At least that's more like history. Actually france and to a little extent ottomans seemed to get nerfed in divine wind and that at least made me happy. There's really no reason to put france down as an amazing power when brittany was almost as strong until just recently.
You are clueless about European early modern history. As the second most populous European country after Russia, and one of the most developed,
France was (together with China) arguably the strongest power of the world during most of the EU period.

Britain (I assume you dont mean Brittany) only became a world power in the last 100 years of the game, and the supremacy of the British Empire occurred later, during the 1800s.

Not to mention it's been on the losing side of about 9/10 greatest military disasters in history.
Nonsense. The main reason for this silly myth is the disaster of WW2, but that is only one conflict of many. Lost wars during the EU period usually took many years of coalitions of other great powers. This is what happened to the ambitions of both Napoleon and Louis XIV.
Zaleukos is offline

Zaleukos

Zaleukos's Avatar
Bum

#28

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,869

Default 

September 8th, 2013, 05:58
Originally Posted by Zaleukos View Post
France was (together with China) arguably the strongest power of the world during most of the EU period.

Britain (I assume you dont mean Brittany) only became a world power in the last 100 years of the game, and the supremacy of the British Empire occurred later, during the 1800s.
I think he means Brittany. I'm not sure I agree with you around "most of the EU period". France didn't really become a true power until Louis XIV. Austria could field an army roughly twice the size of the french. Also being nestled between the 2 biggest naval powers in the world really made it hard for it to expand.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 958

Default 

September 8th, 2013, 06:08
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
I think he means Brittany. I'm not sure I agree with you around "most of the EU period". France didn't really become a true power until Louis XIV. Austria could field an army roughly twice the size of the french. Also being nestled between the 2 biggest naval powers in the world really made it hard for it to expand.
After the dust settled on the fall of the Roman Empire, There was the East Roman Empire on the east and the Carolingian Empire to the west. When the Carolingian divided in 3, and the middle kingdom was absorbed by East and West Francia, guess that's when you can start calling the western part as 'France', and it was pretty much on and off one of the 3 most powerful entities in Europe from like the 9th century until I'd say the 19th century.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#30

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 3,292

Default 

September 8th, 2013, 06:50
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
it was pretty much on and off one of the 3 most powerful entities in Europe from like the 9th century until I'd say the 19th century.
Agreed, I would also have it in the top 3 in europe for most of the timeline.

I do still take issue with the generalisation "arguably the strongest power of the world during most of the EU period" though but the original poster ManWhoJaped was still wildly off base and deserved to be corrected harshly. I don't think many would argue that Spain was not the worlds superpower in the 16th century.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
Last edited by bjon045; September 8th, 2013 at 07:00.
bjon045 is offline

bjon045

bjon045's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sigil
Posts: 958

Default 

September 8th, 2013, 19:16
I'd of course agree about Spain in the 16th century, but that is only about a third of the game

Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
I think he means Brittany. I'm not sure I agree with you around "most of the EU period". France didn't really become a true power until Louis XIV. Austria could field an army roughly twice the size of the french. Also being nestled between the 2 biggest naval powers in the world really made it hard for it to expand.
I am curious as to when Austria could field an army twice the size of the French. Or do you mean a HRE coalition? The Habsburg crown lands were AFAIK never as populous and rich as France.

Spain was ahead of France during the 16th C (until the 30 years war and Richelieu, and after 1650 Spain declined badly), and Britain took over as number one after Napoleon but that is outside the game's timeframe. On the other hand France also had a period of weakness during the wars of religion in the late 16th C.

Britain as a premier naval power only took off during Cromwell, and that navy didnt prevent the restored Stuarts from being French puppets.

French importance fell in the 19th century as she no longer was the most populous western European country (for some reason birthrates went down earlier than in other industrialising countries). Prior to that France had the largest or second largest population in Europe (Russia overtook France in population about halfway through the game's timeframe). In 1500 France had about 2-3 times the population of Spain or 4 times the population of Britain (the last gap had narrowed considerably by 1800).

That said there were times when nerfing was appropriate for gameplay reasons. Computer games are poor at simulating the inefficiency and difficulty of ruling a large early modern state, and blobs tend to be more efficient at warfare than they were in real life.
Zaleukos is offline

Zaleukos

Zaleukos's Avatar
Bum

#32

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,869

Default 

September 10th, 2013, 09:12
History has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

A number of players play those kind of games not for the game mechanics, but because those games offer a way to make things right, to make things like they should have happened.

The issue of France is simply because the US market is the dominant market and that most players there relate to England or Germany.

After playing both England and France, it appears that England is easier than France. With England, it is very easy to end the game as the first power and you can even run for world conquest.

France comes with a lot of made up problems that makes the experience slightly more difficult. One funny is that at the start of the game, Brittany was de facto a vassal of France, a puppet kingdom. Yet as gaining Brittany gives naval bonuses, the integration of Brittany is made difficult.
Usually the AI never captured or only conquer Brittany around 1800. Historically, Brittany was officially integrated in 1492.

So why so much concern about France? After investigation, a lot of players do not care about playing with England to become the world dominant force. They want to crush France or even conquer it all.

Hence the OP impression.

Same as for muslims in Crusarder Kings 2. Given the current context, muslims in that game were deemed OP.

The end result is that the generic game usually end with Muslims close to lose or losing the Mecca.

Hard to support that ending based on history.

That is an ending wanted by customers though. You wont find many threads on Paradox forums with titles like "Oh my god, European countries OP, muslims too weak, do something"
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#33

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,143

Default 

September 10th, 2013, 13:48
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
History has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

A number of players play those kind of games not for the game mechanics, but because those games offer a way to make things right, to make things like they should have happened.

The issue of France is simply because the US market is the dominant market and that most players there relate to England or Germany.

After playing both England and France, it appears that England is easier than France. With England, it is very easy to end the game as the first power and you can even run for world conquest.

France comes with a lot of made up problems that makes the experience slightly more difficult. One funny is that at the start of the game, Brittany was de facto a vassal of France, a puppet kingdom. Yet as gaining Brittany gives naval bonuses, the integration of Brittany is made difficult.
Usually the AI never captured or only conquer Brittany around 1800. Historically, Brittany was officially integrated in 1492.

So why so much concern about France? After investigation, a lot of players do not care about playing with England to become the world dominant force. They want to crush France or even conquer it all.

Hence the OP impression.

Same as for muslims in Crusarder Kings 2. Given the current context, muslims in that game were deemed OP.

The end result is that the generic game usually end with Muslims close to lose or losing the Mecca.

Hard to support that ending based on history.

That is an ending wanted by customers though. You wont find many threads on Paradox forums with titles like "Oh my god, European countries OP, muslims too weak, do something"
I would agree, though if you see the national ideas, France does get a very powerful idea that gives them a big advantage early in the game, and most people play for a hundred years or so and then try another game. So they get to experience them at their height without seeing the other countries 'catch up' eventually.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#34

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 3,292

Default 

September 11th, 2013, 03:20
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
The issue of France is simply because the US market is the dominant market and that most players there relate to England or Germany.
Errr, wha?? Where did that come from?
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#35

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 2,818

Default 

September 11th, 2013, 12:18
Does the UI scale better now in EU IV? EU3 on a notebook in my native resolution (1920x1200) wasn't working, because symbols and fonts were WAAAAY too small. And BTW, CK2 has the same UI, is that correct?
yllaettaevaet is offline

yllaettaevaet

yllaettaevaet's Avatar
Watchdog

#36

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 126

Default 

September 11th, 2013, 13:15
Originally Posted by yllaettaevaet View Post
Does the UI scale better now in EU IV? EU3 on a notebook in my native resolution (1920x1200) wasn't working, because symbols and fonts were WAAAAY too small. And BTW, CK2 has the same UI, is that correct?
I don't play on a notebook so I don't see the issue, but I know some people said the same thing at release and some of the first mods changed the font size for many UI elements.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#37

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tardis
Posts: 3,292

Default 

September 11th, 2013, 13:57
I'll have too look for what has already been modded. And I just realized it's one of the issues still / which has never really been adressed. Font sizes seem to be ideal for outdated resolutions around or less than ~1400 width.
Discussion e.g. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/…onts-too-SMALL
Someone I agree with writes: "But I do agree with you that Paradox is way behind the curve on this issue. It's unfortunate to have such a beautiful looking game marred by the need to play it a 1990s screen resolution."
yllaettaevaet is offline

yllaettaevaet

yllaettaevaet's Avatar
Watchdog

#38

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 126
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Europa universalis IV impressions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:49.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch