|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Blackguards - Preview @ The Gamers Hub

Default Blackguards - Preview @ The Gamers Hub

September 10th, 2013, 21:05
The Gamers Hub writer Vaughn has posted a new preview for Blackguards.

This isn’t just any entry into The Dark Eye series though, Blackguards casts you in the role of criminals and murderers who have set out to help rid the world of evil that plagues mankind. It may just sound like a story with no real substance, but Daedalic promise that each character in your party has its own specific traits that will reflect how they do battle, interact with others or handle certain situations. And, because these are criminals you’re playing with, the story and world adapts to your actions – or lack of – as you can leave damsels to be in distress while you keep busy with something else. You’re rarely forced into playing through something that you don’t want to play through.

We weren’t treated too too much of the story and world in our preview presentation, but we did get to take a peek into how towns have become hubs for you to rest in and work from. Here you’ll grab help for hire, extra quests and some main quest objectives, and do trade with a variety of traders. Interestingly, Daedalic decided that it wasn’t worthwhile making these into 3D explorable towns layered with NPCs as feedback from testers showed that it only slowed down the pace of play. It’s a shame too as this is one visually beautiful title.

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised by that, seeing as Memoria is a lavish hand-drawn affair and so is Goodbye Deponia, but as everything here is a 3D modelled world, it seems a shame to only ever utilise that for dungeons and battle. But, I’m not going to argue if it keeps the pace of play up, I know all to well that I get sucked into doing small, menial tasks in towns in RPGs.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

September 10th, 2013, 21:05
Their approach to Blackguards seems more cinematic in nature. I can probably live without trekking through extensive 3D towns where there is very little to see or explore apart from the occasional shop or chattable NPC. However, some of the towns in prior TDE titles—Ferdok and Nadoret—were two of the best looking medieval cities outside of the Witcher series. I actually enjoyed roaming through those two.

rjshae

Bob
RPGWatch Donor

September 11th, 2013, 15:37
PC Games Hardware preview

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

September 11th, 2013, 16:06
^ Good interview, though it lacked tangible info on character creation. So flanking isn't in. Is there a flanking mechanic or something similar in the new TDE rules?

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

September 11th, 2013, 16:24
What do you mean with "flanking mechanism" ?

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 11th, 2013, 16:25
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
What do you mean with "flanking mechanism" ?
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/com…s.htm#flanking

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

September 11th, 2013, 16:29
Hm, I don't remember, to be honest.
Although I think that there might be something - I'm just not an TDE combat expert at all …

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 11th, 2013, 18:48
Another old interview with executive producer Kai Fiebig.

incident = accident

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Blackguards - Preview @ The Gamers Hub