|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Steam - Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 Now Available

Default Steam - Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 Now Available

September 11th, 2013, 11:57
Originally Posted by Clocknova View Post
Also of note: the Steam versions are compatible with not just Windows, but Mac and Linux. The GOG version are, at the moment, Windows only.
Wow, hadn't noticed that! To clarify it is Wiz 6 & 7 (Wiz 8 was never Mac) on Steam, but even THAT isn't clear as it also says "Wizardry 7 Gold is currently only available in English and on the Windows platform."

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 11th, 2013, 13:47
Originally Posted by Gloo View Post
If I might say, there's a downside in playing the GoG or any other re-badged version though (AFAIK) : it voids the possibility to run the original version in its most glorious appearance, namely the Glide renderer ! The original version still runs fine without tweaking on XP and adding a Glide wrapper to it is a must. The difference is really interesting graphically speaking.
I fear that most people might have never heard of any Glide Wrapper for that.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

September 11th, 2013, 17:05
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Dude, they were just on sale about a week ago.
Hot damm you are right! The one weekend I didn't check and I am even on the GoG email list. Oh well I've scored so many sales I may as well just pay full price on Steam for once.

jpnole

Watcher

September 11th, 2013, 17:09
Steam version of Wiz 7 seems to be Wiz Gold, which has horrible portraits and a broken diplomacy skill IIRC.

"In Grimwhoah, you can ride on turtles."

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

September 11th, 2013, 19:24
Great news, good to know, thanks for posting!

I have a few originals on dvd, but have only finished Wizardry 8 unfortunately.
It's definitely a series I need to give some more attention to as a party-based/turn based fan. It'd be fantastic to painlessly install these games and just go all out at this trilogy.

Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards

September 12th, 2013, 01:30
Just a note - the Mac & Linux versions on Steam are Wiz 7 *non* Gold version … apparently trying to get the Wiz 7 Gold running outside of Windows was a crash-fest.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 12th, 2013, 16:48
Originally Posted by Sacred_Path View Post
Steam version of Wiz 7 seems to be Wiz Gold, which has horrible portraits and a broken diplomacy skill IIRC.
I personnaly wouldn't complain about the portraits but more about the random encounters ! Too much combat has always been my main reproach to this series. Don't remember about a so called broken diplomacy either but that was eons ago so…

Gloo

Sentinel

September 12th, 2013, 16:56
I personnaly wouldn't complain about the portraits but more about the random encounters ! Too much combat has always been my main reproach to this series. Don't remember about a so called broken diplomacy either but that was eons ago so…
Diplomacy was quite important in the early game (if you started a new party anyways) because even shopkeepers could attack you if you lacked social skills. IIRC the skill was still in Wiz Gold, it just didn't do anything anymore.

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

September 13th, 2013, 14:12
Diplomacy was quite important in the early game (if you started a new party anyways) because even shopkeepers could attack you if you lacked social skills. IIRC the skill was still in Wiz Gold, it just didn't do anything anymore.
I see but frankly I do not remember being attacked by shopkeepers at all. Maybe that was corrected in the European commercial version ?

Gloo

Sentinel

September 13th, 2013, 14:34
I see but frankly I do not remember being attacked by shopkeepers at all. Maybe that was corrected in the European commercial version ?
Truth be told, I myself have played two different copies of Wiz 7 (although they were patched identically) just recently, and one of them was decidedly easier than the other, including rolling of bonus points in character creation. But IIRC in both games, getting that Umpani in the first town to sell you weapons instead of bashing your head in wasn't easy… either way, you certainly remember that you had the option to attack NPC's including shopkeepers? It works the other way round, too. Though, if you've played Wiz Gold, diplomacy is simply not needed from what I heard. I'd take that to mean that all neutral NPC's start out as friendly towards you.

Sacred_Path

Basement Horror

September 13th, 2013, 14:48
Playing some on the Mac last night made me realize that all of my memories are of Wiz 7 Gold … Still just so much fun!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 14th, 2013, 14:26
…you certainly remember that you had the option to attack NPC's including shopkeepers? It works the other way round, too.
Sure but can't remember having that much troubles in Wiz Gold. On the other hand, I remember well such problems in Wiz 8, specially in the first town, with the Umpany shop keeper but looting his bank coffer helped a lot to circumvent his reticence to sell me his stuff… !

Gloo

Sentinel

September 14th, 2013, 14:43
Sure but can't remember having that much troubles in Wiz Gold. On the other hand, I remember well such problems in Wiz 8, specially in the first town, with the Umpany shop keeper but looting his bank coffer helped a lot to circumvent his reticence to sell me his stuff… !
Are you talking about the rapax shopkeeper in Arnika?

He could be quite uncooperative.

sakichop

SasqWatch

September 15th, 2013, 15:51
Originally Posted by sakichop View Post
Are you talking about the rapax shopkeeper in Arnika? He could be quite uncooperative.
Himself, of course !

Gloo

Sentinel

September 15th, 2013, 15:56
I would love to just start these from the beginning and play them all the way through. I have the GOG versions of 6 and 7, but I cannot get them to run decently on my various laptops— Win7 and Win8. They crash, the mouse is wonkey—- So I am hoping the Steam version of 8 works flawlessly.
Man I wish their were fan graphics or texture mods to make help support better resolutions on bigger monitors.

benetar

SasqWatch

September 15th, 2013, 16:16
Patches for Wizardry:
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/

Mods for Wizardry:
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/wiz8mods.htm

Wizardry forum:
http://www.postcount.net/forum/forum…izardry-Series

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Steam - Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 Now Available