|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Risen 1 + 2…75% off

Default Risen 1 + 2…75% off

October 3rd, 2013, 02:51
Over on Gamersgate you can get the complete Risen collection for $12.50. That's Risen, Risen 2 and all 3 DLC for Risen 2.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-RISENC…lection-bundle

Seems like a great deal.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,363

Default 

October 3rd, 2013, 03:04
Nice find fluent it's part of their ongoing pirate sale that JDR posted about it earlier.

Link-http://www.gamersgate.com/games?prio…=piratemidweek

It makes me sad to see these gems priced so low, and realize what I paid for them on release.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator
Last edited by Couchpotato; October 3rd, 2013 at 04:21.
Couchpotato is offline

Couchpotato

Couchpotato's Avatar
Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

#2

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Potato Land
Posts: 10,693

Default 

October 3rd, 2013, 04:04
Nice! Didn't know it was posted already.

I paid $12 for Risen on the Xbox 360. I thought that was pretty cheap at the time, but I never realized PC gaming could be this cheap. $2.50 for a good RPG is amazing.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

#3

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,363

Default 

October 3rd, 2013, 04:15
PC gaming is cheapest. Risen 1 was free in certain countries over the special GMG service.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#4

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,373

Default 

October 3rd, 2013, 04:57
I guess now would be the time to pick up risen 2 and dlc.

Never bought from GG. How do they work? Do they have a client like steam or download like gog?
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,330

Default 

October 3rd, 2013, 05:24
It's a download like GoG with a serial key listed in your account (for some games anyway).
greywolf00 is offline

greywolf00

greywolf00's Avatar
Sentinel

#6

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado, US
Posts: 556

Default 

October 3rd, 2013, 06:32
It seems risen 2 is a Steamworks game. So I assume I'll just get a steam key.

Yep, just ordered and got a steam key. Good deal.
Last edited by sakichop; October 3rd, 2013 at 06:44.
sakichop is offline

sakichop

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,330

Default 

October 3rd, 2013, 09:45
Great deal for a couple of good-to-great games
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

October 3rd, 2013, 16:45
Hey Dart, you enjoyed Risen 2 quite a bit, didn't you?

How do you think Risen 2 stacks up to the Gothic series? I'm playing the first Gothic game now and it's really enjoyable. I'm hoping Risen 2 captures some of that same magic.

I also enjoyed the first Risen game, so I will probably enjoy the 2nd, I suppose.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

#9

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,363

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 10:10
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
Hey Dart, you enjoyed Risen 2 quite a bit, didn't you?

How do you think Risen 2 stacks up to the Gothic series? I'm playing the first Gothic game now and it's really enjoyable. I'm hoping Risen 2 captures some of that same magic.

I also enjoyed the first Risen game, so I will probably enjoy the 2nd, I suppose.
Yep, I think it was a great game overall.

I think it stacks up quite well, once you remove the impact of nostalgia.

I mean, Gothic and Gothic 2 (with NotR) were both masterpieces - and no, Risen 2 isn't quite at the same level.

But if you mod it with the popular fan patches - it's as close as you'll get to Gothic 2. You can check out worldofrisen.de (I think) - and there's a great mod tool that lets you download and apply all the popular mods. Some are for balancing and some are for the awkward visual quirks.

In terms of visuals and atmosphere - I happen to think Risen 2 is better than Gothic 2. I love pirate settings and the rain forest environments of the islands. The problem is one of repetition, because once you get to the 3rd or 4th island - you're kinda full when it comes to the tropical setting. Well, I think most would feel that way.

It's not like Gothic 1 and 2 had more variety - they were just seamless on larger landscapes, which means you're not really expecting "new" stuff as much as when you travel from one place to another. So, ultimately, I think they shot themselves in the foot by separating the landmass in that way, without adding sufficiently unique environments to each island.

But both Risen games suffer from balance issues and somewhat unfinished mechanics. It's like they didn't have time to finetune the skills and implement good enough uses for them in the game.

If I had to rate the games according to time of release and their impact on me, I'd rate them as follows:

Gothic 9/10
Gothic 2 8/10
Gothic 3 (modded) 7/10
Risen 7/10
Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10

Something like that, I'd say.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 10:26
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
If I had to rate the games according to time of release and their impact on me, I'd rate them as follows:

Gothic 9/10
Gothic 2 8/10
Gothic 3 (modded) 7/10
Risen 7/10
Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10

Something like that, I'd say.
Ooo I like this game, I'll play

Gothic 9.5/10
Gothic 2 8/10. Gothic 2 + NOTR 9.5/10
Gothic 3 (vanilla) 6/10. Gothic 3 (CPed) 8.5/10
Risen 8/10 (Strong start, tepid later chapters/small scope)
Risen 2 (vanilla) 7/10. Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10 (did not think the mods made a Huge difference unless we re talking about more than the cosmetic ones ?)

OT Though: Great deal this one, that people should not miss out on. Only 3-4 hours left…
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 10:31
Originally Posted by JonNik View Post
Ooo I like this game, I'll play

Gothic 9.5/10
Gothic 2 8/10. Gothic 2 + NOTR 9.5/10
Gothic 3 (vanilla) 6/10. Gothic 3 (CPed) 8.5/10
Risen 8/10 (Strong start, tepid later chapters/small scope)
Risen 2 (vanilla) 7/10. Risen 2 (modded) 7.5/10 (did not think the mods made a Huge difference unless we re talking about more than the cosmetic ones ?)

OT Though: Great deal this one, that people should not miss out on. Only 3-4 hours left…
Nah, Risen 2 mods add .5 for me (not exactly a huge difference) - but the big cosmetic one is the foilage fix - because I found that particular visual "feature" extremely distracting.

Beyond that, there's balance mod that makes Firearms less powerful - which is a good fix, because they were excessively overpowered in vanilla. I can't say how good the implementation is, but from what I've read about it - it seems a reasonable tweak.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#12

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 10:33
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Beyond that, there's balance mod that makes Firearms less powerful - which is a good fix, because they were excessively overpowered in vanilla. I can't say how good the implementation is, but from what I've read about it - it seems a reasonable tweak.
Hmm sounds interesting. Will look it up when I get around to a replay, thanks.
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 11:02
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Beyond that, there's balance mod that makes Firearms less powerful
I'll have to try to remember that. I went the voodoo route on my first playthrough but I'm going firearms the next time. I was planning to stay more of a pure pirate though and concentrate on pistols and pirate tricks rather than muskets.

I'd probably rate Risen 2 an 8/10 and that's despite the fact that I played it before the patch that tweaked the monster combat and added dodging. Going the voodoo route the first time probably had an impact there.

Still, it could have been better. Some of their design decisions were disappointing compared to previous PB titles. Like the instantaneous healing and separate screens for looting and merchants. The companion AI was inconsistent at times as well, and their decision to make NPCs invulnerable to monster attacks (in the patch) was a real head scratcher.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#14

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,218

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 11:09
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
The problem is one of repetition, because once you get to the 3rd or 4th island - you're kinda full when it comes to the tropical setting. Well, I think most would feel that way.

So, ultimately, I think they shot themselves in the foot by separating the landmass in that way, without adding sufficiently unique environments to each island.
This.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Some of their design decisions were disappointing compared to previous PB titles. Like the instantaneous healing and separate screens for looting and merchants. The companion AI was inconsistent at times as well, and their decision to make NPCs invulnerable to monster attacks (in the patch) was a real head scratcher.
And this.

They hurt stuff pretty much close to the core of some of my favorite elements of the series and I would add the impact that their design has taken especially on vertical exploration and the "physicality" of the World/Gameplay that G1/2 had in abundance. That sandboxy feel we were saying the other day…

Hoping on a better showing out of Risen 3…
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#15

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 11:39
I should be fair and mention that I never played G2:NotR very much (I tend to stop once I get to the G1 area) - so maybe my rating of G2 would be higher if I finally got through it.

I've been trying to replay it a few times - but the game is pretty dated by now.

Are there any significant mods for it?
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#16

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 11:47
There is Vurt's texture pack
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showt…t=11732&page=6
Nameless one is offline

Nameless one

Nameless one's Avatar
Wizzard

#17

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sto plains
Posts: 1,228

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 11:49
Originally Posted by Nameless one View Post
There is Vurt's texture pack
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showt…t=11732&page=6
Looks pretty significant

Great!
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#18

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 11:54
Yeah, Vurt has done a pretty good job. You do need a decent CPU though to avoid slowdowns in a couple of areas, but that should not be a problem on a modern PC.

there is also a community patch that I installed last time I played but I do not recall exactly what it fixes right now: http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=168

If you go with it probably install it before vurts as I believe it changes textures too (?)

Edit: Details and tweaking by vurt here: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum…phics-Overhaul
Last edited by JonNik; October 4th, 2013 at 12:05.
JonNik is offline

JonNik

JonNik's Avatar
SasqWatch

#19

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,734

Default 

October 4th, 2013, 12:07
Originally Posted by JonNik View Post
Yeah, Vurt has done a pretty good job. You do need a decent CPU though to avoid slowdowns in a couple of areas, but that should not be a problem on a modern PC.

there is also a community patch that I installed last time I played but I do not recall exactly what it fixes right now: http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=168

If you go with it probably install it before vurts as I believe it changes textures too (?)

Edit: Details and tweaking by vurt here: http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum…phics-Overhaul
Thanks for info

I have the GoG Gold version - and I hope it can run properly in widescreen and what not.

I'm trying to decide whether I should replay Gothic 2, Risen 2 or The Witcher 2

Hehe - tough choice!
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#20

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15,258
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » Risen 1 + 2…75% off
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:15.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch