|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Nehrim Retrospective

Default RPGWatch Feature - Nehrim Retrospective

October 8th, 2013, 19:13
I played a fair bit of Nehrim and then lost interest - I'd like to try again, but i remember Oblivion with this mod running rather slowly on my i7 + GTX480 system. Did performance improve with later releases?

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

October 8th, 2013, 19:37
All I can say is that I played it with a Dual Core AMD and a GF 8800 and it ran fine back then (not on highest settings). Guess something is wrong with your system or your memories play a trick on you.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

October 8th, 2013, 20:51
I would never call Oblivion a bad game, I had a great time with it when it was released. My favourite still remains Morrowind though, Oblivion and Skyrim are both great games but not on the same level in my book.

The reason I like Morrowind is because it feels so much more "open" in terms of both skills, magic and danger. I have fond memories of fighting gods where I had to kite for half an hour to put them down, and then I was already high level. Not to mention how crazy powerful you can get in the endgame. Fast travel? Who needs it when you can jump several miles and just cast feather fall right before you land? Silly? Yeah maybe, but I love it. Also, the story was to me much more interesting than both Oblivions and Skyrims.

Rose tinted glasses? Probably, but in my opinion it's the best TES so far. Others disagree, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

tomasp3n

Watchamacallit?

October 8th, 2013, 22:51
Yep, I couldn't get into Morrowind nearly as much as Oblivion and Skyrim. I think I didn't like being the hated outsider.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

October 9th, 2013, 17:43
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
All I can say is that I played it with a Dual Core AMD and a GF 8800 and it ran fine back then (not on highest settings). Guess something is wrong with your system or your memories play a trick on you.
I was playing with higher settings - like I did with Oblivion - but there were definitely parts which ran terribly. Like one forested part, with lots of spider/webs, where you had to change the view distance etc - this was even know and commented on. I was wondering if those perf issue shad been fixed?

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

October 9th, 2013, 17:57
The only performance issue I had with Nehrim was slowdown in this certain forest, which is well documented. You have to turn your distant views off or to the lowest setting. Other than that the game played great on max settings. The FPS would dip a bit in places like the middle of Erothin, but it still stayed very playable.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

October 9th, 2013, 18:08
Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
The only performance issue I had with Nehrim was slowdown in this certain forest, which is well documented. You have to turn your distant views off or to the lowest setting. Other than that the game played great on max settings. The FPS would dip a bit in places like the middle of Erothin, but it still stayed very playable.
I also found large towns/villages would drop fps - there was a fairly large walled city where this was quite apparent. I guess this wouldn't change though because they remove transitions into cities/towns… I'm just very sensitive to choppy frame rates, but I also like my eye candy. Hopefully this won't be an issue with Enderal - never had issues with Skyrim, even with everything maxed out.

booboo

Keeper of the Watch

October 9th, 2013, 19:20
Well, the thing is that Nehrim also included several mods which made the exterior look much better than in the original game, including a strong vegetation.
So Nehrim definitely needs more processing power. But when Fluent mentioned the performance problems in one certain area - these I had too. I think it was in some barren area northwest of the starting "forest", which was also farther into the game. I also barely remember that there were enemy types which either sucked or were bugged.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

October 9th, 2013, 19:40
The area was called the Dark Forest, I believe. It had a lot of lighting effects and whenever you would cast a spell, the game would get very choppy. That's the only real choppiness I experienced in my play-through. The FPS in Erothin would drop to 20-25 or so but it was still very much playable.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

October 9th, 2013, 19:45
FWIW, Nehrim was slow, clunky and awkward on my high-end setup back when I tried it.

It was fully playable, sure, but it ran like a dog. Something like 15-25 FPS on average - and that's not good.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

October 20th, 2013, 23:58
Outside of the dark forest it was pretty smooth for me. The big city had some slowdowns, but it didn't matter much. Brilliant thing Nerhim.

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - Nehrim Retrospective