|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

November 19th, 2013, 21:55
Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
I like the Big Bang Theory What's your problem ?
Wanna pick a fight ?
You mean other than racism, misogyny, homophobia, an abusive and over-zealous laugh track and insulting misrepresentation of scientists? Just that it is the absolute lowest common denominator form of humor …

And given that the writing is poor, the characters are incredibly shallow, the interactions are meaningless, and the plots are throwaways … I would say that at least one function the show serves is to demonstrate that awards can be bought.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#421

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,468

Default 

November 19th, 2013, 21:58
Well I found it entertaining at times. Very silly, and not realistic in the slightest, but I imagine ignorance could lead dummies to form and believe bad stereotypes from the show. I guess I shouldn't over-estimate the intelligence of the viewing public. :/
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#422

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,108

Default 

November 19th, 2013, 22:08
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
'Large segments' are easily swayed … award shows are a joke controlled by the industry as self-promoting and self-congratulatory events to push an agenda and slate of shows.

When shows are new, for the most part things are on even footing, but as they cntinue there is industrial iniertia to keep them going. And the reality is that if they are pulling huge advertising revenues, there is a desire to keep ratings high through whatever means are required.

I don't know if payola or similar shenanigans are at play with TV shows, but somehow I doubt they are immune …
Sorry, but that's mostly nonsense.

People continue to watch shows they enjoy. That's the bottom line. All the money and advertising in the world isn't going to sway me to watch something that I don't genuinely like.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#423

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,013

Default 

November 19th, 2013, 22:11
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
You mean other than racism, misogyny, homophobia, an abusive and over-zealous laugh track and insulting misrepresentation of scientists? Just that it is the absolute lowest common denominator form of humor

And given that the writing is poor, the characters are incredibly shallow, the interactions are meaningless, and the plots are throwaways I would say that at least one function the show serves is to demonstrate that awards can be bought.
But then South Park is basically the same and I like that too…

Does that mean I am falling for all the money or that I just like crap shows ?


It's exactly those things that make South Park and Big Bang funny.
Pladio is online now

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#424

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,238
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

November 19th, 2013, 22:17
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Sorry, but that's mostly nonsense.

People continue to watch shows they enjoy. That's the bottom line. All the money and advertising in the world isn't going to sway me to watch something that I don't genuinely like.
Wait - are you seriously going to debate the power of money and advertising to have a large impact upon shifting a market? Because debating that as a total reality of the US pop cultural marketplace is just not even worth wasting time.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#425

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,468

Default 

November 19th, 2013, 22:54
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
People continue to watch shows they enjoy. That's the bottom line. All the money and advertising in the world isn't going to sway me to watch something that I don't genuinely like.
I thought the point of adverting is to make people *believe* that they like/want/need something even though they don't "genuinely" like/want/need etc? If this is not the case I can't see how the advertising industry is still going strong.
lostforever is offline

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

#426

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,153

Default 

November 19th, 2013, 22:56
Not entirely, advertising can make you aware of something you may not have been aware of.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#427

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,108

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 02:14
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Wait - are you seriously going to debate the power of money and advertising to have a large impact upon shifting a market? Because debating that as a total reality of the US pop cultural marketplace is just not even worth wasting time.
No, I'm saying that no amount of money and advertising is going to make a show popular if it's total crap. It's really not that complicated.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#428

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,013

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 02:17
Originally Posted by lostforever View Post
I thought the point of adverting is to make people *believe* that they like/want/need something even though they don't "genuinely" like/want/need etc? If this is not the case I can't see how the advertising industry is still going strong.
The point of advertising to make people more aware of a given product and to try to appeal to specific demographics. It's not going to magically make someone interested in something they don't like.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#429

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,013

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 04:23
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
The point of advertising to make people more aware of a given product and to try to appeal to specific demographics. It's not going to magically make someone interested in something they don't like.
Please tell me you are NOT seriously that naive? In fact, you sound like a classic advertising pitch, where they sell the good sides of advertising as a benefit to society.

Advertising is pushing cigarettes to kids and poor people; advertising is making people think sugar is good for you and a weight loss method and preferable to eating fruit; advertising is hiding the dangers of HFCS, fast food, processed products and so on until forced to reveal those dangers … and on and on.

Advertising is ALL about making products appeal to those who wouldn't generally be interested.

But I think we've hijacked this thread long enough.

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#430

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,468

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 05:13
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Please tell me you are NOT seriously that naive? In fact, you sound like a classic advertising pitch, where they sell the good sides of advertising as a benefit to society.

Advertising is pushing cigarettes to kids and poor people; advertising is making people think sugar is good for you and a weight loss method and preferable to eating fruit; advertising is hiding the dangers of HFCS, fast food, processed products and so on until forced to reveal those dangers … and on and on.

Advertising is ALL about making products appeal to those who wouldn't generally be interested.

But I think we've hijacked this thread long enough.
I feel sorry for someone who is as hopelessly cynical as you seem to be. No, I'm not that naive, but advertising is not the root of everything evil.

Of course there are certain products that can be viewed in such a way, but it's still up to the consumer to be foolish enough to partake in something that would be detrimental to them.

You can blame advertising for such things if you wish. It's certainly the easy way out.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#431

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,013

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 07:34
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I feel sorry for someone who is as hopelessly cynical as you seem to be. No, I'm not that naive, but advertising is not the root of everything evil.

Of course there are certain products that can be viewed in such a way, but it's still up to the consumer to be foolish enough to partake in something that would be detrimental to them.

You can blame advertising for such things if you wish. It's certainly the easy way out.
Are you seriously saying that advertising isn't about making products appeal to as many people as possible - including those that would not otherwise be interested?

The point of advertising to make people more aware of a given product and to try to appeal to specific demographics. It's not going to magically make someone interested in something they don't like.

Haha! I wouldn't have thought you'd be THAT naive.

You're living in a country that's more or less based on creating needs where they never existed. It's been like that for many, many years.

Wow, I guess that explains a few things about you
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#432

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 07:55
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Are you seriously saying that advertising isn't about making products appeal to as many people as possible - including those that would not otherwise be interested?
No, that isn't what I said. Of course the goal of advertising is to get someone interested in something. Like I said though, that doesn't mean it's automatically going to work.


Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Haha! I wouldn't have thought you'd be THAT naive.
And I don't think you're that stupid which is why I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you misunderstood me.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#433

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,013

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 08:01
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
No, that isn't what I said. Of course the goal of advertising is to get someone interested in something. Like I said though, that doesn't mean it's automatically going to work.
I don't think txa is suggesting that advertising is hypnotising every single human being on Earth.

But you're kidding yourself if you don't think people are being heavily manipulated - especially young people.

Don't you remember your childhood and how you wanted a toy simply because you saw it on TV? Public school with whatever brand of clothes?

These things are instilled at a very young age - and a lot of people never stop to think why they keep acquiring a lot of material shit they don't really need, even as adults.

We're all a part of that, really.

And I didn't think you're that stupid which is why I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you misunderstood me.
If I'm stupid for not knowing what you mean - then so be it.

It sure sounds like you're being very naive - and if that makes me stupid, then that's ok. One might suggest you're simply not capable of articulating your level of naivety successfully through words - but who knows.
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#434

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 08:08
Guys, please get back on topic and if you want to discuss advertising with all its evils, then please begin a new thread.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#435

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,551
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 08:11
I think we're talking about two different things here.

Of course I wanted certain toys I saw advertised when I was a kid (as an example) because that's what I was into anyways. Brand of clothes? Of course, as long as it was the type of clothing I was into.

I'm talking about advertising suddenly making me want something that I had absolutely no interest in previously. It's never happened to me as far as I can remember. Not even once.

For example, no amount of advertising is going to suddenly make me watch American Idol. On the other hand, I doubt many people who hate anything to do with zombies are suddenly going to start watching TWD because of advertising. That's my point.

*Edit* Sorry Corwin, you posted while I was still responding. I'm done though.
JDR13 is offline

JDR13

JDR13's Avatar
SasqWatch

#436

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida, US
Posts: 18,013

Default 

November 20th, 2013, 08:15
The topic is actually kinda interesting - but I guess Corwin's right. I'd gladly continue in another thread, though. Briefly: what you were into as a kid was very likely instilled partly because of the power of advertising. One of the most obvious examples would be Star Wars toys - which I assume you might have played with. Do you think Lucas and his merchandising genius had anything to do with that?
DArtagnan is online now

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#437

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,809

Default 

November 22nd, 2013, 20:12
Arrrgh, just learned that local TV that airs Doctor Who will not air the special!

Luckilly, BBC is one of programs that are aired for free on Filmon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FilmOn
Well, HD is not free but what can I do…

This is tomorrow's schedule:
CBBC
16.00-16.50 Doctor Who: The Infinite Quest
16.50-17.50 The Sarah Jane Adventures
17.50-18.35 Doctor Who: Dreamland
18.35-19.30 The Sarah Jane Adventures

BBC One
20.50-22.05 Doctor Who SPECIAL: The Day of the Doctor

BBC Three
22.05-23.10 Doctor Who Live: The Afterparty
23.10-01.10 Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide (R)

And if you can't watch it because cretinous CEO on your network "forgot" to buy rights or whatever, peek here:
http://www.filmon.com/tv/bbc-one

Yes, it's a legit site! Still is… As there are some legal issues ongoing, but from US side, not from UK side… And we don't want to watch silly US remakes anyway, right?
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/media/ne…-channels.html

Till tomorrow take a few mins to watch three new teasers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jsKcfxM7hI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ErqhSvSPM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-1c3PLJqac

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; November 22nd, 2013 at 20:33.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#438

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,178

Default 

November 22nd, 2013, 20:45
Whew … Ours is showing it… My younger son would have blown a gasket

— Mike
txa1265 is online now

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#439

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,468

Default 

November 25th, 2013, 01:11
If the aftershow excitment is gone let's move to some more news from BBC. Although it's BBC America.

Orphan Black (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/ ) is returning in 5 months.

The teaser just emerged:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zCNJG07i-g

Synopsis:
Spoiler


In case you didn't watch the first season of this masterpiece, I'll just say shame on you.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#440

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,178
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:19.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch