|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Paper Sorcerer

Default Paper Sorcerer

December 5th, 2013, 22:38
Paper Sorcerer is a first-person turn-based RPG with adventure game elements inspired by Wizardry, Dungeons and Dragons, and Shadowgate.

• Play as a renegade sorcerer as he struggles to escape the book prison and regain his powers.
  • Escape a magical prison filled with heroes hunting you down at every turn.
  • Strategy over grinding battles, with a charge based spell system.
  • Create a party of summons to join you as allies in battle.
  • Discover open-ended puzzles and solve them with a combinations of spells, items, and your wits.
  • Hand-drawn high-resolution sprites inspired by the work of late eighteenth and early nineteenth century illustrators like Aubrey Beardsley and William Bradley.
  • DRM-free for PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, and possibly Xbox Live Indie Arcade and web-browser.
  • All-inclusive game, promise to never make you pay for DLC content.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 5th, 2013, 22:41
I just finished it.
I played it on hard (3rd out of 4 difficulty levels), my summons where cultist, troll and imp and I took magic specialization for sorcerer.Here are my short impressions after finishing it.

Gameplay:

Stat system is simple and works well in game.Combat is fun and challenging especially towards the end, but this isn't generally my kind of RPGs so wizardry veterans should set difficulty to hardest setting(called 1980's).There are inventory puzzles and secrets like hidden switches and fake walls but they are not as good as in Legends of grimrock.

Writting.

Story is interesting, especially ending.There are some npcs and books and books and journals so there is good amount writing for dungeon crawler and quality of writing is decent.

Other:

Hand drawn black and white graphic is something you either love or hate, I found it very appealing.When I started playing all game breaking bugs where gone but there where lot o minor ones, but game gets updated and fixed fast, not just bugs but also balancing issues.

Overall:

One of my favorite crowd-funding games along with FTL and Expeditions:Conquistador, and it was very cheap(I think price should be higher at least double, no need for dev to underestimate his work).I highly recommend it especially with price of 5$.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

February 25th, 2014, 20:29
Nice game in the tradition of Wizardry 4.

For $5 this is a great deal.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

February 25th, 2014, 21:33
I need to look at this more closely. I kinda forgot about it.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

February 26th, 2014, 18:52
I liked this game a lot, from the moment when I first saw the KS project, till the moment I finished it. I'll be playing it again for sure, and likely adding it to the list of games that I replay periodically. It's just a lot of fun, imo.

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Games Reviews & Comments » Paper Sorcerer