|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Elder Scrolls Online Impressions

Default Elder Scrolls Online Impressions

December 6th, 2013, 00:15
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Only 3 character classes? Fact or fiction?
There 4 classes: Dragonknight, Templar, Sorcerer and Nightblade. So fiction!

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
No freeform open character development vs. unique classes/skills for each class? Fact or fiction?
Each classes have 3 unique skill lines (Tamriel Foundry has all of them, weapons too. Look at the game info tab).

All other skill lines minus racial (racial bonus) are obtainable by all. So you get
  • weapons (bow, dual wield, twohanded, 1handed&shield, destruction staff, restoration staff),
  • armor (light, medium, heavy),
  • Guild skill lines (Mages, Fighters and others, raise by gaining reputation),
  • World skill lines (include Vampire, Werewolf and others that haven't been mentioned officially. They did hint at a pet(summon) line in this category too. Most of these have to be discovered as well),
  • 3 PvP skill lines (only usable in PvP).
  • Crafting is now a bunch of skill lines as well (MMORPG broke the news this week, nobody realized it yet…).

Spells from schools are sprinkled everywhere though and you can't buy spells with money, it's all skill point based. Stealth is available to all and not a real skill (something I've complained about in feedback). You are limited to 6 (12 with weapon switching) spells in combat (well active abilities, because weapons get them too, but they don't use magicka).

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
In general, loss of flexibility in character development vs. elder scroll SP games? Fact or fiction?
Selecting a class is like selecting major/minor in the previous games but with a "thematic" and without being able to make your on class. Is this less flexible???

I personally do not think the classes bring that much, racial, weapons and armor are really what define your character.
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#21

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,501

Default 

December 6th, 2013, 00:25
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
There 4 classes: Dragonknight, Templar, Sorcerer and Nightblade. So fiction!
Ah well that makes all the difference in the world. NEXT!

Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Each classes have 3 unique skill lines (Tamriel Foundry has all of them, weapons too. Look at the game info tab).

All other skill lines minus racial (racial bonus) are obtainable by all. So you get
  • weapons (bow, dual wield, twohanded, 1handed&shield, destruction staff, restoration staff),
  • armor (light, medium, heavy),
  • Guild skill lines (Mages, Fighters and others, raise by gaining reputation),
  • World skill lines (include Vampire, Werewolf and others that haven't been mentioned officially. They did hint at a pet(summon) line in this category too. Most of these have to be discovered as well),
  • 3 PvP skill lines (only usable in PvP).
  • Crafting is now a bunch of skill lines as well (MMORPG broke the news this week, nobody realized it yet…).

Spells from schools are sprinkled everywhere though and you can't buy spells with money, it's all skill point based. Stealth is available to all and not a real skill (something I've complained about in feedback). You are limited to 6 (12 with weapon switching) spells in combat (well active abilities, because weapons get them too, but they don't use magicka).



Selecting a class is like selecting major/minor in the previous games but with a "thematic" and without being able to make your on class. Is this less flexible???

I personally do not think the classes bring that much, racial, weapons and armor are really what define your character.
OK, so the class skills are unique to each class. I feel validated.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#22

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 9,985

Default 

December 8th, 2013, 14:02
It's actually way more open for choices in character development than your standard MMO, like LOTRO or something.
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

#23

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,217

Default 

December 8th, 2013, 14:54
I'm still interested because I'm looking for a fresh start with something new. I found the mechanics of maintaining my "Legendary" gear in LOTRO were beginning to overwhelm the game. I was changing the way I managed exploration and combat and I was spending way too much thought and energy planning and executing on a Legendary gear progression path.

Then, the level cap increases basically throw your legendary gear plans out the window.

I need a fresh start.

"For Innos!"
ToddMcF2002 is offline

ToddMcF2002

ToddMcF2002's Avatar
SasqWatch

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,231

Default 

December 8th, 2013, 16:41
Looks interesting enough. I will, most likely, also give it a go.
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,345

Default 

December 9th, 2013, 17:34
Did they already announce some kind of Mercenary System? The thing that disturbs me the most about TESO is the fact that there are 9 races that are allocated to three fractions. I for myself will play a Norn, like I always did. And my friend want to play another race that isn't allocated to my fraction. That can't work out in an MMORPG…
Gulag is offline

Gulag

Watcher

#26

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 33

Default 

December 9th, 2013, 21:24
That's one of the reasons why I tend to believe nowadays that conflict-based narrative is going nowhere - it's basically a One Way road in my opinion.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#27

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,969

Default 

December 10th, 2013, 01:01
Originally Posted by Gulag View Post
Did they already announce some kind of Mercenary System? The thing that disturbs me the most about TESO is the fact that there are 9 races that are allocated to three fractions. I for myself will play a Norn, like I always did. And my friend want to play another race that isn't allocated to my fraction. That can't work out in an MMORPG…
what you can do, what I have done in other MMOs with this type of restrictions, I play one character with my friend, and another character when not. It works out of course if you play more than your friend.
wolfing is offline

wolfing

wolfing's Avatar
Wonders what SasqWatch is

#28

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,231

Default 

December 11th, 2013, 09:50
Originally Posted by wolfing View Post
what you can do, what I have done in other MMOs with this type of restrictions, I play one character with my friend, and another character when not. It works out of course if you play more than your friend.
Yeah but c'mon. You have to admit that this approach kinda sucks… . I don't want to plan any twinks til I have one character on max level. I hope that they will go for a Merc system. IMO the only imaginable solution. I also think that not all races are popular the same way - same goes for the fractions, which is not optimal for a PvP oriented game.

1. Aldmeri Dominion = Altmer (High Elves), Bosmer (Wood Elves) and Khajiit
2. Daggerfall Covenant = Bretons, Orcs, Redguards
3. Ebonheart Pact = Nord, Dunmer (Dark Elves), Argonian

IMO the Ebonheart Pact it is most likely to be the dominating fraction, since all three races can be considered as "popular". Daggerfall Covenant will be understaffed… who wants to play a Breton or Redguard??? XD

I believe that this will be a huge problem within the TESO community.
Gulag is offline

Gulag

Watcher

#29

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 33
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General MMORPG » Elder Scrolls Online Impressions
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:20.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch