|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

December 12th, 2013, 10:35
Originally Posted by Menigal View Post
Now I'm plodding along with an orc thief in Skyrim and wondering what to do next. I might give Dishonored a try.
I'm also plodding along in Skyrim again, but dunno with what yet, we'll c.
Dishonored is installed on my machine for ages, still haven't tried it. I should be ashamed, I know.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 12:14
Wandering around in Tamriel again :-)

Also play Shadowrun Returns on ipad - first 'RPG' game on that platform I think works. Enjoying it!

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 13:13
Skyrim's my default game when I'm not into anything else. Normally I finish playing something else, have an idea for a character, start fresh and wander around a while, then stop playing when I get into another game, then I get another character idea when I finish that, repeat ad nauseum.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

December 12th, 2013, 13:34
Tales of Graces F in the PS3 and Mount & Blade on the PC right now. Next would be either Defiance or Borderlands 2 in the PS3.

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

December 12th, 2013, 13:55
Originally Posted by Menigal View Post
Skyrim's my default game when I'm not into anything else. Normally I finish playing something else, have an idea for a character, start fresh and wander around a while, then stop playing when I get into another game, then I get another character idea when I finish that, repeat ad nauseum.
My default game is sadly not RPG. It's MOBA League of Legends.
"Normally I finish playing something else", then return to LoL and have fun for a while, "then stop playing when I get into another game". In League of Legends there are over 100 different heroes to play with, not to mention weekly patches and season item/map/rune/mastery changes so it's never boring.

Why Skyrim isn't my default game? Because it's not anything like my previous default game - FO2. In FO2, in every replay, I'd discover something new. In Skyrim all I can discover is a new… Not an item. Not a story. You know what.

And I'm now replaying Skyrim and bloody Cultists attacked me in Ingstaad (IIRC that's the name of the village). Of course I defended and then village guards killed me. And I didn't touch them during the fight! (The solution to this annoyance if anyone cares is to run away outside of the village since cultists are scripted to follow you so you get attacked outside of guards' vision).

Another tragedy happened when I returned to my home to chest the heavy loot from Lydia's back and I've heard something like "you'll now die" before I entered my home and then some Vampire Elite or something entered my house after me and attacked, the house I couldn't unlock and enter before I've bought the key for it. But of course, you're dragonborn and that's the reason you can't enter where you want, while hostiles in this game not only are immortal but can enter anywhere.
I killed it, and now the corpse is still on the floor. And I dunno how to kick it out of my goddamned house!

Fun? No. It's just a nice looking game that got thousands awards obvioulsy only because of it's visuals. But is still IMO "subpar".

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

December 12th, 2013, 14:04
Yet you're still playing it?

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

December 12th, 2013, 18:27
It's either that or a phone game. Pick your poison.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 14th, 2013, 03:26
gone back to dragon age origins - still an excellent game

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

December 16th, 2013, 20:19
Well I "finished" Witcher 2 on dark mode, and found it great, once I got the hang of combat rhythm and tactics. Area of effect aard and igni, with swords to finish the stunned or on fire, plus lots of dodging and quen is much more fun than the less reliable Yrden trapping. However, I was unable to beat the operator and his gargoyles, … yet. Group aard seems to be key (with the freezing upgrade), but the elite gargoyles are too fast and deadly (not to mention the protected fireball spamming mage). Will try it again as I finish the other paths.

I played the Roche path fairly honestly as a Termerian patriot and avoided killing whenever possible, with all the relevant choices (and in some cases not so good consequences). I'm wondering if characters spared or killed will make a difference in Witcher 3, with a save game import? Anyone know? The choices made in Witcher 1 seemed to have only minor effects in Witcher 2, sadly.

I've been rewinding history and replaying forwards taking different paths at branch points to see how things change (like the Roche/Triss branch in chapter 3), and the Roche/Iorveth branch in chapter 1. I'm liking the lighter Iorveth branch in Vergen more than Roche's path in the somber Kaedweni camp. I'm playing this path more cavalier (we'll except for saving the elves in the tower). So many choices, not sure if I want to bother trying all possible combinations. We'll see.
Last edited by Thrasher; December 16th, 2013 at 20:51.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 16th, 2013, 20:26
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
However, I was unable to beat the operator and his gargoyles, …
Think I had to turn the difficulty down for that one. Will be curious how (if) you'll manage that without cheesy tactics.
Are you planning on giving Flash's mod a serious try-out before wrapping it up?

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 16th, 2013, 20:49
I should try that on my last path choice, if I can disable it at any time. But I THINK you really need to start from scratch because it's MUCH more than just a combat rebalance. As well as bug fixes, it also changes the character skill trees and progression. Playing a save at a branch point after modding the game, would probably be a bad idea, and would likely break my Geralt.

Also, I've gotten comfortable now on dark mode, and not sure if I want a reset to that using the combat mod for Iorveth's path. Probably want to play it unmodded first. Going to think on that. Thanks for reminding me!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 16th, 2013, 22:20
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Think I had to turn the difficulty down for that one. Will be curious how (if) you'll manage that without cheesy tactics.
Are you planning on giving Flash's mod a serious try-out before wrapping it up?
Yeah, The Operator was ridiculously hard to defeat. I had to lower the difficulty from Hard to Normal when I played, and it was still a chore to beat him. The reward isn't worth the effort imo.

Did Flash make a mod for TW2? Afaik, his mod was for TW1.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 16th, 2013, 22:45
So after the discussion about whether or not Gothic 2 is a classic I decided to load it back up and see if my opinion has been tainted by nostalgia. Just hitting Ch. 4 now and I can absolutely say no. For me, it's still the perfect mix of story and open world. After spending the last few months bouncing off of RPGs it's nice to get really sucked into one again. If this level of enjoyment keeps up, I might go ahead and kick the tires on Gothic 3 or Risen.

greywolf00

Sentinel

December 16th, 2013, 23:06
I should try that on my last path choice, if I can disable it at any time. But I THINK you really need to start from scratch because it's MUCH more than just a combat rebalance. As well as bug fixes, it also changes the character skill trees and progression. Playing a save at a branch point after modding the game, would probably be a bad idea, and would likely break my Geralt.

Also, I've gotten comfortable now on dark mode, and not sure if I want a reset to that using the combat mod for Iorveth's path. Probably want to play it unmodded first. Going to think on that. Thanks for reminding me!
Understandable. I'm still not sure what the consensus is regarding the mod. In case you're interested in the future it seems there was a new version uploaded recently.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Did Flash make a mod for TW2? Afaik, his mod was for TW1.
This is the one I'm referring to.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 16th, 2013, 23:23
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
This is the one I'm referring to.
Ah ok.. I didn't realize that was the same guy.

Originally Posted by greywolf00 View Post
So after the discussion about whether or not Gothic 2 is a classic I decided to load it back up and see if my opinion has been tainted by nostalgia. Just hitting Ch. 4 now and I can absolutely say no. For me, it's still the perfect mix of story and open world. After spending the last few months bouncing off of RPGs it's nice to get really sucked into one again. If this level of enjoyment keeps up, I might go ahead and kick the tires on Gothic 3 or Risen.
You're in Chapter 4 already? That's pretty impressive considering that debate was just a few days ago.

It's been a long time since I did a full playthrough of Gothic 1 or 2, but they're always installed on my rig. I'll jump in every now and then just to hear the music and run around a bit. And yes, they're definitely classics!

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 16th, 2013, 23:31
Yeah I sunk 20 something hours into it from Fri-Sun. Wife was out of town and Broncos played on Thurs so I had no other major plans.

greywolf00

Sentinel

December 16th, 2013, 23:48
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Yeah, The Operator was ridiculously hard to defeat. I had to lower the difficulty from Hard to Normal when I played, and it was still a chore to beat him. The reward isn't worth the effort.
On Roche's path, it's the only totally legitimate way to get dragon scale to craft kinslayer's dark armor (best armor in the game and needed to complete the chapter 3 dark set).

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 17th, 2013, 01:05
On Roche's path, it's the only totally legitimate way to get dragon scale to craft kinslayer's dark armor (best armor in the game and needed to complete the chapter 3 dark set).
Oh they changed that in the EE version then. In the original version there was at least one other place you could get a dragon scale.

Spoiler – The Operator's loot

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 17th, 2013, 02:31
Correction.

Spoiler

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

December 17th, 2013, 11:25
Played FTL last night. Got my ass kicked the first time as I didn't pause the game to issue orders in my first battle and the second ship killed me after two seconds.

My second game went quite well as I reached sector 5 before dying in 6.
Got pounced in my third game and managed to get to Sector 8 once.

I want to beat the game on Normal, so I'm not taking any shortcuts…
Still playing around with the different weapons and on good decision making (upgrade systems vs weapons vs subsystems, buy a new weapon vs repair hull damage vs buy a new system vs new crew member)

Game is quite good, but it's a shame there are so few events. I would have thought 200k could have given them a script writer….

I wonder what they did with the money ?

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?