|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

December 17th, 2013, 13:18
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Oh they changed that in the EE version then. In the original version there was at least one other place you could get a dragon scale.

Spoiler – The Operator's loot
I added some info in the spolier tag…..
GothicGothicness is offline

GothicGothicness

GothicGothicness's Avatar
SasqWatch

#5721

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,408

Default 

December 17th, 2013, 14:43
I'm not sure why you've marked it all as a spoiler.
Guys, the reason to replay TW2 on Roche's side if you have some second thoughts - is that staff. It's cheesy, it's odd, it's this and that, but to have TW2 and not get that staff at least once is a sacrilege!
Now what staff, where and what it does… That's a material for spoiler tags.

Meanwhile, as I've said, replaying Skyrim and short after I've started I went for the DLC. Dragonborn. Yea, the one where you go for a Morrowind island.
What surprised me is lack of thousands of bugs in that area. Yes, there are a few annoyances, but definetly nothing even close to vanilla map. Not only that, but the story, quests, puzzles and characters are superb! Did Bethesda really made this DLC, I mean it's totally different from the dumb original game?
I've cleared everything there (except 3 side quests, possibly grind/radiant as they want me to go back on Skyrim map) so let's say I've finished that DLC.

Compared, I'd give 1/10 to Skyrim and 9/10 to Dragonborn DLC.

Why not 10?
One reason is that some new powers and abilities are OP. Oh I will use them definetly, but still it's OP. For example daily dremora trader to summon and sell stuff. Then dwarven sphere companion, hell why this baby wasn't in the vanilla game? And my favorite: no more friendly fire on Lydia!
Second reason is that dragon riding is made 34653658234623485 times worse than similar thing in Ego Draconis - it's not fun at all!

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#5722

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,733

Default 

December 18th, 2013, 01:04
Playing the original Heretic via the Doomsday engine. Long time since I've played Doom-like games, need to get my circle strafing vibe back.
coaster is offline

coaster

coaster's Avatar
Utarg of Utarg

#5723

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Englandland
Posts: 539

Default 

December 18th, 2013, 01:19
Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
I added some info in the spolier tag…..
Spoiler – more operator stuff
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#5724

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,443

Default 

December 19th, 2013, 02:40
I got to the last sector of FTL ! I managed to
Spoiler
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

#5725

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: London, uk
Posts: 3,396
Send a message via MSN to Pladio

Default 

December 22nd, 2013, 17:20
I've been playing Batman: Arkham Origins, the spin-off game that wasn't done by Rocksteady. So far, it feels exactly like a spin-off game done by an external studio, so the same basic experience, but with far less polish. The controls aren't as tight, it's a lot buggier, and the boss battles are far too long and annoying, but since I'd heard all of that before I started it didn't come as a shock, and I'm still quite enjoying it. We'll have to wait and see if the other boss fights are as badly done as the Deathstroke one.
Menigal is offline

Menigal

Menigal's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#5726

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 879

Default 

December 22nd, 2013, 17:50
Skyrim Legendary Ed. This is the first Bethesda developed game that's ever managed to grab my attention for an extended amount of time. I haven't played enough of the TES series to really say definitively but, it seems like they're creating slightly smaller land masses and saturating them with more and more quest content and the story/voice acting seems to be improving too.

With CD Projekt Red moving Witcher to larger areas and now into open world, maybe TES is looking to shore up their stories. I would be thrilled if so, though I wouldn't be surprised if long time fans aren't.
greywolf00 is offline

greywolf00

greywolf00's Avatar
Sentinel

#5727

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Colorado, US
Posts: 574

Default 

December 22nd, 2013, 17:56
I'm playing a bunch of games, but most of my time is being spent with Morrowind, Skyrim and now Victoria 2. You can view these playthroughs on my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/fluentgamingchannel . Come and follow along on my adventures
Fluent is offline

Fluent

Fluent's Avatar
RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

#5728

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,419

Default 

December 22nd, 2013, 18:51
Finishing Drakensang: TRoT. The Dark Eye will follow shortly (probably right after Director's cut of Deus Ex: HR).
Can somebody remind me why those games weren't as popular as they should have been?
zahratustra is offline

zahratustra

SasqWatch

#5729

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,499

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 13:28
Originally Posted by zahratustra View Post
Finishing Drakensang: TRoT. The Dark Eye will follow shortly (probably right after Director's cut of Deus Ex: HR).
Can somebody remind me why those games weren't as popular as they should have been?
In my opinion, there were several reasons :

- Poor marketing by dtp
- Dragon Age came out around the same time - people were flooding it
- Unknown setting worldwide
- Didn't quite fit into the current fashion of fantasy settings (dark, brutal, C&C, "dark & gritty" etc. )

but all in all I rather believe that it was a combination of the poor marketing with Dragon Age being "hip" at that time what ultimatively broke it.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#5730

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 16,061

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 14:34
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
- Poor marketing by dtp
This is the major reason.

The second reason is some odd ongoing selling scheme where you couldn't buy those games easily just anywhere. Yes, the stupidity still continues, the last release (the whole saga drmfree on one DVD) I had to "smuggle" from amazon.com. See, amazon.com won't ship it to my country so I had to pay to the third party (they have an office both here and in USA so amazon delivers it to their US office then they've sent it here and etc).
Usually I wouldn't bother with that shipment sillyness like it's nuclear weapons I'm trying to import, but I couldn't buy TroT expansion anywhere else before and it's included on this DVD.

One thing to add, I could buy it from amazon.de, no problems there, they do ship it no questions asked, but it'd be worthless as the game there is with german language only and I don't speak german!

But IMO if Drakensang somehow ever comes on GOG, it'll sell like a cure.

——

Still replaying Skyrim.
As I've said, I've finished Dragonborn DLC almost completely (can't kill the overpowered giant boss in a cave that kills me with 2 hits yet, and can't find some "brother") and unlike vanilla game this DLC is awsome.
Built all 3 houses from another DLC, messed with it for hours, etc, even adopted a kid, that DLC is utterly stupid and you gain nothing from it. It's not fun at all unless I've missed something. Everything with it is boooooooooring. The only thing from it worth something is that my smithing skill got a few levels.

In the vanilla finished companions and mages quest chains, many sidequests and a few main story quests. Next I plan to do is thieves guild.
Bugs are still there, many bugs, but I admit not as much as in the initial release. Instead of over 500, let's say now I've seen only 500.
Unbelievably, Lydia is still blocking passages but this time when she does it, I just fus-ro-dah her. Decided not to use unblock mod - simply don't want mods for stuff that were supposed to be patched by Bethesda.
Poor Lydia, right? Feel free to accuse me of sexism, violence and whatever else. Kids will learn much from this game. If a woman is stubborn, shout on her like crazy. That's why it's GOTY. Unlike other games, GOTY contains an education.

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; December 23rd, 2013 at 14:51.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#5731

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,733

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 16:05
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
- Didn't quite fit into the current fashion of fantasy settings (dark, brutal, C&C, "dark & gritty" etc. )
It's intresting that you throw C&C in there. I know that you're anything but positive regarding "mature" or "gritty" games and can see the rationale without agreeing with it, I can't understand why would C&C be a part of that group. Not to mention that I didn't find Dragon Age too heavy on the C&C side.

Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Decided not to use unblock mod - simply don't want mods for stuff that were supposed to be patched by Bethesda.
Just for the sake of arguing, do you also apply that reasoning to other games (i.e refusing to use unofficial patches and fixpacks)?

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Kostas is offline

Kostas

Kostas's Avatar
Dormant Watcher

#5732

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dear Green Place
Posts: 1,666

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 18:02
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Just for the sake of arguing, do you also apply that reasoning to other games (i.e refusing to use unofficial patches and fixpacks)?
Ages ago I walked over internet under a different nick. It was extremist.

Maybe you don't remember that nick. But it's possible that somewhere you dig up who was BG1/2 and IWD1/2 troubleshooting moderator on now defunct Black Isle forums.
But also if you played Shadows of Amn before ToB was released… I believe at sorcerers.net there is still BG2:SoA fixpack created by… me. Who else?

Please do read my posts here instead of skiping them because "that imbecile joxer is probably raging on phonegames and grind again".
If you did read my posts, you'd notice I recently details I've posted about Edwin/BootsOfSpeed bug in BG2. How would I know about it if I didn't work on it?

I don't refuse unofficial fixes. If I did I would never be able to enjoy G3 and VtM. Or Drakensang with unofficial patches applied. And didn't you see that I've reuploaded TroT fixpack because it's not available any more on the original site? Yes, the link is on this forum in Drakensang section. Why would I have it initially if I refused to use such stuff?

In the case of Skyrim, sorry, but the game is one huge pile of bugs impossible to polish properly by modders. Honestly, so many bugs I haven't seen in any other game out there, ever. The only reason ppl ignore them is because Skyrim doesn't crash to desktop frequently - some other almost bugless games were massacred by critics just because of random crashes like that's the only thing worth calling a bug.

If Bethesda corrected major game glitches instead of fixing only "rare occurences", fans could eventually make a proper unofficial patch. Instead, unofficial patches additionally break the game (check for example Skyrim wiki and for a note about some bug with housing that appears if some unofficial patches are used).
I do respect the work ppl did, hell I did such stuff in the past too. But in the case of this game… Sorry. I won't use any unofficial patch till Bethesda fixes general annoyances instead of rare glitches in the bloody bug-o-rama. Which will happen never, they won't fund that.

And we're talking about a bestseller GOTY here. Something Drakensang, Gothic3 and Vampire:TM didn't get! Something that was by many a better game than DX:HR and TW2! Sadly, those two were polished and patched by devs.

I hope this clears it for you.

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; December 23rd, 2013 at 18:14.
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#5733

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,733

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 18:26
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Please do read my posts here instead of skiping them because "that imbecile joxer is probably raging on phonegames and grind again".
You forgot "free to play".

Sorry, just playin'. Carry on.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?
dteowner is offline

dteowner

dteowner's Avatar
Shoegazer

#5734

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 11,387

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 18:34
Just that? I also forgot Commodore64 games era with inability to save anywhere you want to, but well… Maybe it's early Alzheimer.

Anyway, why FO4 won't be released in 2014? Because next year the (almost) bugfree competition is simply too much for Bethesda!

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#5735

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,733

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 18:39
Well..not really, no.

I think the reality of the effect of bugs in games can be separated in how they affect you, the player, and how they affect the game's sales/reception/reviews. The context of the production/development (i.e. budget/AAA values etc) is certainly important in the latter case and I would gladly agree with most rants regarding hypocrisy and double standards of the gaming media when it comes to titles of Skyrim's scale. I would also agree with how that context can significantly alter you're own perception of the game's quality, I know I would be more forgiving of Divinity: Original Sin bugs than Dragon Age Inquisition bugs and that would play into my personal opinion of the game.

Then there's how the bugs affect your own enjoyment of the game. Unless someone is a purist and would install nothing that doesn't come from the developer and has the publisher's approval, which you are not, I don't see why one would knowingly pass a chance to increase his enjoyment and avoid the frustration that bugs cause. Unless, again, your argument is that the available fixpacks cause practical disadvantages, or disagreeable alterations (see Wolf and G3's CPs) that outweigh their benefits which you seem to be alluding in your wiki example, but wouldn't apply (assumingly) in the unblock mod, I don't see how that inconsistency in principle is justified.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Kostas is offline

Kostas

Kostas's Avatar
Dormant Watcher

#5736

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dear Green Place
Posts: 1,666

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 18:47
Kostas, I'm sure you just want to help, but the address is wrong.
From a serious developer, assuming Bethesda is, one would expect at least reading the buglist on their official Skyrim forum. Yes the list with 500+ bugs. But who am I kidding, they are illiterate. They don't watch foreign movies because reading takes too much of effort. You can't possibly imagine the scale of headache they'd get if they did read at least fist 100 entries in that huge buglist.

You've mentioned DA:I, tell me, did you ever see me saying DA:O was buggy? You didn't. Why? Because Bioware did their part on the patching process! DA2 was a crap excuse of a game, but IIRC I've stumbled upon total of 4 bugs in that game in the release version. And IIRC they've patched them later (sorry, can't confirm as I just can't be arsed to replay that game). No matter how evil they've become, Bioware at least respects fans.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#5737

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,733

Default 

December 23rd, 2013, 18:59
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Kostas, I'm sure you just want to help,
Not really, I haven't even played Skyrim yet. That's partly due to waiting for the situation with the bugs+DLCs+GOTYs+fixpacks+mods to stabilize so that when I get to finally play it it'll be in a shape as better than the original release as Bethesda games usually get. I'm just curious about your reasoning.
You've mentioned DA:I, tell me, did you ever see me saying DA:O was buggy? You didn't. Why? Because Bioware did their part on the patching process! DA2 was a crap excuse of a game, but IIRC I've stumbled upon total of 4 bugs in that game in the release version. No matter how evil they've become,Bioware at least respects fans.
I don't see why you can't give Bethsoft crap not respecting their customers yet still allow yourself to be spared of the problems. My point is that it's yourself who you're punishing. Your meaningfully reacting to their crap is independent of how you go about in your gaming experience.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Kostas is offline

Kostas

Kostas's Avatar
Dormant Watcher

#5738

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dear Green Place
Posts: 1,666

Default 

December 24th, 2013, 02:40
Well I finished all the paths in the Witcher 2. Hopefully decisions will carry over into Witcher 3. And I beat the Operator on Dark mode.

Spoiler

Now I have to decide between Drakensang 2, Divinity 2 : DKS, or Alpha Protocol. I think I'll play the latter for a break from fantasy.
Thrasher is offline

Thrasher

Thrasher's Avatar
Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

#5739

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 10,443

Default 

December 24th, 2013, 14:46
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Not really, I haven't even played Skyrim yet. That's partly due to waiting for the situation with the bugs+DLCs+GOTYs+fixpacks+mods to stabilize so that when I get to finally play it it'll be in a shape as better than the original release as Bethesda games usually get.
Don't wait more, install, play. Check if I'm right that Dragonborn DLC is not as buggy as the core game and designed awesomely that it IMO deserves 10/10 unlike the rest of the game which can't get more than 1/10 from me (dunno about vampire DLC since I haven't touched it yet, but will be in next few days).
Remember to include SkyUI mod, I did play without it the first time and honestly the original UI is not as bad as some suggest, but once you install SkyUI, you won't remove it as it's that good!

Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
Drakensang 2
:shocked:
What are you waiting for?!
Install now, play yesterday!

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

#5740

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6,733
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:30.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch