|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Forbes - The Best RPGs of 2014

Default Forbes - The Best RPGs of 2014

December 25th, 2013, 01:08
Forbes brings us their list of the best RPGs that are awaiting us in the new year or year after that. It's a big list, here are a few, which are on it.

The Witcher 3 - Geralt of Rivia’s final chapter, the third in CDP RED’s Witcher series is the fist to take an open-world approach to gameplay. The game itself promises upwards of 100 hours for all content, some three-dozen different possible endings (or end-states for the world at least) and an overhauled combat system.

Dark Souls II - Still perhaps my most-anticipated game of 2014, the sequel to FromSoftware’s magnificent Dark Souls is landing in March. From what little I’ve played the game stays very true to its predecessor, though we won’t really know for sure until we’ve had time to really sink ourselves into the dark world and brutal combat of the game.

Destiny - While it may not be an RPG in the strictest sense, Bungie’s “shared-world shooter” has many trappings of an RPG. The game looks like a lot of fun, either way, and is one of the games pushing multiplayer in a whole new direction, away from “massive” and toward something more intimate.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - Unless it’s delayed forever, someday we’ll get our hands on the first real South Park RPG. Written by the show’s creators and developed by the old-hands at Obsidian, this should be, if nothing else, the funniest RPG to hit shelves next year.
More information.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 25th, 2013, 01:08
More of an action oriented list: Conspicuously missing: Divinity: Original Sin, Lords of Xulima (I hope), M&M legacy.

Roq

Seeker
RPGWatch Donor

December 25th, 2013, 01:23
Wow, never expected to see 'Grim Dawn' on any list. Don't get me wrong, I backed the whole thing when it was on KS, cried tears of joy when I saw they reach the funding mark, etc. just I never thought that they will gather attention from media.
Also they have Wasteland 2, Pillars Of Eternity, and Torment: ToN. Good stuff.
They missed some of my favorite: Divinity:Original Sin, Mount&Blade2: Bannerlord and Banner Saga. (and Transistor?)
I just hope that BW redeem themselves with DA3 after those mean, scrupulous, speculative, cowards last games of them. Crossing fingers. At least as good as DA:O.
Last edited by Sumerisle; December 25th, 2013 at 18:56.

Sumerisle

Watcher

December 25th, 2013, 02:19
For me the games on the above list I am excited about are:

- Witcher 3
- Grim Dawn
- Pillars of Eternity
- DAI
- Lords of the Fallen
- Torment: Tides of Numenera

and a big ? for ESO.

Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch

December 25th, 2013, 02:39
From that list, my selection is:
The Witcher 3
Grim Dawn
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Dragon Age: Inquisition
CyberPunk 2077
Sui Generis

And agree about Divinity: Original Sin

gandalf.nho

Huntress

December 25th, 2013, 03:17
I wasn't even aware that Drakensang 3 or Kingdom Hearts 3 were in the making.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Last edited by Kostas; December 25th, 2013 at 05:06. Reason: dammit

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 25th, 2013, 04:57
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
I wasn't even aware that Drakensang 3 or Kingdom Hearts 3 were in the making.
Drakengard 3, not drakensang 3

sakichop

SasqWatch

December 25th, 2013, 05:07
That's what skimming text after xmas dinner does

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

December 25th, 2013, 13:00
Too much eggnog?

"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

December 25th, 2013, 13:42
For RPGs that are coming out in 2014 I have highest hopes for Divinity: Original sin(I wouldn't expect it to be released before summer) and Witcher 3.

Wasteland 2, Grim dawn, Underrail and Dead state are runner ups.

I also have reasonably high hopes for Consortium which is coming out in January.

Also Torment and PE shouldn't be on this list since they are coming out in 2015.

Nameless one

Keeper of the Watch

December 25th, 2013, 18:56
OK I'm nitpicking but shouldn't it be "Most promising / anticipated RPGs" since obviously jury is still out for which will be "the best"? I guess they deserve props for actually having Wasteland 2 on their list.

Anyway, for '14 I'm very much looking forward to Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, The Banner Saga, The Witcher 3 and Divinity Original Sin, Dead State, and Lords of Xulima. But am also definitely looking forward to: Age of Decadence, Underrail, Shadowrun Online, South Park, Days of Dawn, Sui Generis, Might & Magic X, Echoes of Eternea, Bravely Default, Kitaru and Liege… Am tentatively looking forward to DA: Inquisition I can't remember ever being excited about so many RPGs coming out in one year! And so many of them are turn-based If even half of these are decent I will not be bored for a second next year.

daveyd

Sentinel

December 25th, 2013, 20:11
Pretty good list. In console games and MMO's not interested, the other games are good. I am not sure about CyberPunk 2077 will be released next year.

Black Rune

Watcher

December 25th, 2013, 23:07
Originally Posted by gandalf.nho View Post
From that list, my selection is:
The Witcher 3
Grim Dawn
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Dragon Age: Inquisition
CyberPunk 2077
Sui Generis

And agree about Divinity: Original Sin
Hey, listing top picks looks kinda fun. Let me try!

1. Dark Souls II
2. Dark Souls II
3. Lords of the Fallen
4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
5. Pillars of Eternity
6. Grim Dawn

As for Divinity: Original Sin…. I've been biting my tongue on that one so very hard. But I think I'm gonna just go for it and speak my mind!

Before I played the alpha I was pretty sure it was going to be my favourite game ever, but after… Well… How I put it to a friend was "I would appear that while they know what to make, they don't know how to make it."

A few things have been bothering me, see… I've watched all the Twitch streams and soaked up every scrap of info on the game and It would appear to me that the kickstarter has done nothing and has acted as a presale device only. There were already examples of their stretch goals in the game. They're still on track for a ~March release but to me the game would appear to need years more development time. It's all so sparse and empty. It's not ready for alpha, in my opinion. Be that, as it may, not only has it gone into alpha but near the end of a Twitch stream David has said "It's almost more like a BETA".

So, what did he mean by that? What could he mean? Is it feature complete, for the most part? Why has nothing changed since before the kickstarter?! I've gone from fanboy status to alarm bells going off in my head. I HAVE DOUBTS! I think while what they say its going to be sounds amazing they actually might not pull it off and we'll be left with a 60% scoring game that gets 80% rather than the 100% scoring game it could be.

I do really, really hope it's good… But that alpha…. Not impressed. If I was making that game I wouldn't want people playing it in that state. What if its actually shipped under the guise of early access. They've sold it already, released it to the buyers already, say its more like a BETA. Now they'll do a few patches over the next 2 months and release it slightly better? :/

SirJames

Sentinel

December 26th, 2013, 20:19
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Hey, listing top picks looks kinda fun. Let me try!

1. Dark Souls II
2. Dark Souls II
3. Lords of the Fallen
4. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
5. Pillars of Eternity
6. Grim Dawn

As for Divinity: Original Sin…. I've been biting my tongue on that one so very hard. But I think I'm gonna just go for it and speak my mind!

Before I played the alpha I was pretty sure it was going to be my favourite game ever, but after… Well… How I put it to a friend was "I would appear that while they know what to make, they don't know how to make it."

A few things have been bothering me, see… I've watched all the Twitch streams and soaked up every scrap of info on the game and It would appear to me that the kickstarter has done nothing and has acted as a presale device only. There were already examples of their stretch goals in the game. They're still on track for a ~March release but to me the game would appear to need years more development time. It's all so sparse and empty. It's not ready for alpha, in my opinion. Be that, as it may, not only has it gone into alpha but near the end of a Twitch stream David has said "It's almost more like a BETA".

So, what did he mean by that? What could he mean? Is it feature complete, for the most part? Why has nothing changed since before the kickstarter?! I've gone from fanboy status to alarm bells going off in my head. I HAVE DOUBTS! I think while what they say its going to be sounds amazing they actually might not pull it off and we'll be left with a 60% scoring game that gets 80% rather than the 100% scoring game it could be.

I do really, really hope it's good… But that alpha…. Not impressed. If I was making that game I wouldn't want people playing it in that state. What if its actually shipped under the guise of early access. They've sold it already, released it to the buyers already, say its more like a BETA. Now they'll do a few patches over the next 2 months and release it slightly better? :/
UGH, see this is why I never play alpha / betas when given the opportunity… I really hope that the disappointment you've experienced is just a result of them disabling a lot of features so they can just test the bare bones stuff first… So I'm just going to pretend I never read your post and still be excited for this game

daveyd

Sentinel

December 26th, 2013, 20:24
Originally Posted by Black Rune View Post
Pretty good list. In console games and MMO's not interested, the other games are good. I am not sure about CyberPunk 2077 will be released next year.
No, it definitely won't be.. But to be fair Forbes titled the article "Best RPGs of 2014 and beyond"… Also, Torment: ToN will definitely not be released in 2014; they're still in pre-production and inXile's programmers won't actually start working on it until after they've finished Wasteland 2.

daveyd

Sentinel

December 27th, 2013, 07:23
Originally Posted by daveyd View Post
OK I'm nitpicking but shouldn't it be "Most promising / anticipated RPGs" since obviously jury is still out for which will be "the best"?
The jury is indeed out and no longer in to tell the good or the best game.

A good game is a game with good hype.

The best games are games with the best hype.

This article builds up the best hype by proclaiming that the hype it builds suits the best games.

No anticipation, no promise. You have the result just before your eyes.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

December 27th, 2013, 11:48
1,2,3) Dark Souls 2 4) Witcher 3

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

December 27th, 2013, 13:13
- 1.-6756873568357635. Witcher 3
- Dark Souls? Not interested.

Toka Koka

joxer

Mass Effect 4 Shepard