|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Steam - Yes Even More Sales

Default Steam - Yes Even More Sales

January 2nd, 2014, 23:38
So, is Dishonored GotY worth $13.60 if I got a gargantuan backlog with little zeal for gaming atm?

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

January 2nd, 2014, 23:46
It's a good game, but if you're not going to play it now, it's just going to be cheaper …

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

January 2nd, 2014, 23:46
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
So, is Dishonored GotY worth $13.60 if I got a gargantuan backlog with little zeal for gaming atm?
Hardly a fair question.

It's quite good for a stealth game with RPG elements. Mechanically, it's sound - if a bit limited in terms of powers and options.

Personally, I found it somewhat repetitive and the art direction did nothing for me.

But it's a very competent game with a distinct identity.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 2nd, 2014, 23:52
Hmm. Sounds forgettable. Alrighty then, back to mustering excitement for maybe a new book.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

January 2nd, 2014, 23:53
I was more excited about it than DA. I enjoyed the story and the acting. Story was somewhat predictable, but I really enjoyed the gameplay.

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

January 3rd, 2014, 00:03
Well, I think it was mostly due to having played and adored DE:HR not long before Dishonored came out - and it didn't compare favorably as a stealth/exploration game with a strong atmosphere.

Also, the art direction was a big issue for me - because one of the major reasons I play these games is to explore and immerse myself in the unique levels. To me, the art direction sort of ruined that aspect - because I found the game cartonish and I tend to despise exaggerated art styles. Also, given the steampunk setting and the obvious console technical concessions - the levels didn't have the kind of visual fidelity I require to feel fully immersed.

But I should be fair and mention that the gameplay flows well and is REALLY smooth, actually. Jumping and stuff feels perfect - and they did well making you feel like a really heroic sort of assassin.

Unfortunately, you get most of your toys very early - and there just isn't enough variety in the actual "gameplay arsenal" for the game to keep being interesting.

Well, not to me - anyway. In that way, it's a lot like Thief - which I also am not a huge fan of. I like the concept - but I ultimately get bored with such a (deliberately) small scope in terms of gameplay.

But I'd recommend it to any stealth fan. There aren't many of these games and this is definitely not a weak title.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 3rd, 2014, 00:12
I bought the base game for 5 on the sale, and I'm loving it! About 23 hours in now. Really entertaining.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

January 3rd, 2014, 00:28
I think it's exceptional if you like that kind of gameplay. The missions are varied, and there are multiple ways to accomplish them. I also really liked the industrial-steampunk setting, although I realize that's subjective. I thought it was one of the better titles I played last year.

JDR13

SasqWatch

January 3rd, 2014, 05:55
I've drawn the line at 5 now. I buy nothing above that unless I want to play it now or have other important reasons to purchase.

I didn't buy Dark Souls for 5.99 for example, nor the new Metro for 10 or Far Cry 3 for 7,50.

What I did buy is Blackguards for 25. Which was kind of stupid because we're swamped with preview keys now.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

January 3rd, 2014, 05:56
Reg. Dishonored: I heard it's pretty much common understanding to go for the GOTY Ed. right away because one the bigger DLCs is excellent.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

January 3rd, 2014, 06:06
I like how GOG answered a question about sales. No offense intended here just making an observation on sales this year. They have a good point you either adapt or you die.
Wired.co.uk: You've previously spoken about sales not devaluing games and pricing needing to reflect value—how did you settle on the winter sale prices? There are some hefty discounts there.

Rambourg: That's something that we struggled with. There's no doubting that big game discounts generate a lot of revenues, but it's also true that we're teaching a whole generation of gamers that their hobby is worth roughly the same as an iPhone app. Many gamers are getting games in bundles, and they're paying less than 99 cents per game! This is good for gamers in the short run, because they amass huge collections, but it's not good for the industry in the long run, because we will eventually reach the point where we can't sell games at full price because gamers know that the title will be 70, 80, or 90 percent off soon enough.

On the other hand, that's the market we're in. You adapt or you die, and this is something that has definitely proven to be good for our growth in the short-term, even though we can see that it definitely impacts the sale of games at full price outside of discount periods.

"Beware the potato for he is easily angered."- Couchpotato

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

January 3rd, 2014, 11:50
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Reg. Dishonored: I heard it's pretty much common understanding to go for the GOTY Ed. right away because one the bigger DLCs is excellent.
Ah I didn't know, still the base game is good fun, past 26 hours now, suspect I'm getting close to the end.

Daniel.

darklord

Sentinel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Steam - Yes Even More Sales