|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Default What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

January 2nd, 2014, 20:38
Originally Posted by aries100 View Post
I just watched Elysium with Matt Damon. It was a very good movie, I found. [As always, I watched it on Blu-ray DVD]. Great movie, as said, but the message is?
Rich people are evil and have bad accents?
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#2341

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,192

Default 

January 2nd, 2014, 21:45
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Rich people are evil and have bad accents?
Yes, maybe. But I was thinking more of the movie's end scene….

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.
aries100 is offline

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

#2342

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 2,007

Default 

January 3rd, 2014, 00:03
Watched Ender's Game. I read and loved the book but heard bad things about the movie, so I didn't go to see it in cinema. All in all, it wasn't up to par. It should have been three movies, like The Hobbit , or a series. The movie felt a bit rushed, I didn't get a feel for the characters and I don't think someone not familiar with the book would understand a whole lot. Sure, the story was the same, but it somehow felt like much was missing, even at about two hours runtime. *)

That said, while I don't feel sorry I watched the movie I think it's a shame there wasn't more to it.

6/10


*) I read most other Ender's Game books out there, and they expand a lot on other characters like Bean, Petra, Valentine and Peter. So maybe I was projecting that knowledge on the first story.. not sure, they didn't play much of a role in the movie.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey
Arhu is offline

Arhu

Arhu's Avatar
Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

#2343

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,328

Default 

January 3rd, 2014, 00:38
Just saw Cargo.

In the beginning, it reminded me of Dark City.
In the middle, it reminded me of Alien.
In the end, it reminded me of Matrix.

Case in point, try to see this movie - it's great sci! The end is the only part that kind of plods along and could have used some refinement. Don't let the German language/subtitles scare you off. It's up to par with Europa Report and better than any recent Hollywood schlock.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Misbegotten Alien

#2344

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 2,420

Default 

January 3rd, 2014, 01:06
Originally Posted by Arhu View Post
Watched Ender's Game. I read and loved the book but heard bad things about the movie, so I didn't go to see it in cinema. All in all, it wasn't up to par. It should have been three movies, like The Hobbit , or a series. The movie felt a bit rushed, I didn't get a feel for the characters and I don't think someone not familiar with the book would understand a whole lot. Sure, the story was the same, but it somehow felt like much was missing, even at about two hours runtime. *)

That said, while I don't feel sorry I watched the movie I think it's a shame there wasn't more to it.

6/10


*) I read most other Ender's Game books out there, and they expand a lot on other characters like Bean, Petra, Valentine and Peter. So maybe I was projecting that knowledge on the first story.. not sure, they didn't play much of a role in the movie.
Is it available to stream / rent already ?

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2345

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,340

Default 

January 3rd, 2014, 02:06
I'm not sure if Ender's Game is in our theatres yet but I'm gonna watch it definetly. Didn't hear about Cargo before. Will try to find it.

But Elysium was mentioned as very good/great.
It's not.

Could have been. With those actors and CGI, that movie could have been #1 sci-fi of the last year. Sadly whomever wrote the script doesn't understand basics of human behavior and the director didn't care about anything except let's make it all look good. Oh and let's please the Holywood vanity fair obsessed with recipes how to be nearimmortal, stop aging and look young by inventing a machine that does that.

From what I can remember now, without actors who did a great job that crap would have been completely unwatchable.
3/10

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
Mass Effect 4 Shepard
RPGWatch Donor

#2346

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,968

Default 

January 3rd, 2014, 20:48
Rewatched Fellowship of the Ring to wash out the bad taste of the Hobbit films.

It worked, it's still a masterpiece and Jackson has been taken over by the cursed soul of George Lucas.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#2347

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,192

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 17:45
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Rewatched Fellowship of the Ring to wash out the bad taste of the Hobbit films.

It worked, it's still a masterpiece and Jackson has been taken over by the cursed soul of George Lucas.
I liked Desolation of Smaug a lot more than the first one. And yeah, the original trilogy is much better. But The Hobbit are also kind of cool as simple adventure movies. But they could have been much better.

I saw a low profile movie, which turned out to be great. About Time. It's a light romantic comedy with a very good message. From the guy that wrote Love Actually, which I also loved.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2348

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,079

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 19:27
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
I saw a low profile movie, which turned out to be great. About Time. It's a light romantic comedy with a very good message.
Yea, I'm not watching that very good message:
"There are some references to terminal cancer, which it is suggested was caused by smoking."

As you probably know, I'm not (yet!) in the terminal or any other cancer phase and am a passionate smoker for over 20 years. If I do get cancer that'll be from Monsanto GMO food or from good old braincancer inducing mobilephones.

A question - why Avatar didn't score the best picture oscar? An answer - the castrated Hollywood couldn't give it to a chimney role performed by Sigourney Weaver.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
Mass Effect 4 Shepard
RPGWatch Donor

#2349

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,968

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 19:40
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Yea, I'm not watching that very good message:
"There are some references to terminal cancer, which it is suggested was caused by smoking."

As you probably know, I'm not (yet!) in the terminal or any other cancer phase and am a passionate smoker for over 20 years. If I do get cancer that'll be from Monsanto GMO food or from good old braincancer inducing mobilephones.

A question - why Avatar didn't score the best picture oscar? An answer - the castrated Hollywood couldn't give it to a chimney role performed by Sigourney Weaver.
WHAT? Seriously, that's all you got from that movie? Sucks for you I guess. Yeah, there are references to that, but that's not even close to what the message of the movie is.

And about Avatar, I don't respect Oscar awards, but aside from CGI, Avatar was just mediocre. At least I know that when I go see Transformers I'm going for cool CGI. But Avatar made it out like it was the second coming of Jesus (that movie actually had a marketing budget as big as the production budget. that tells you a lot about a movie imo.)
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2350

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,079

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 19:55
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
WHAT? Seriously, that's all you got from that movie? Sucks for you I guess. Yeah, there are references to that, but that's not even close to what the message of the movie is.

And about Avatar, I don't respect Oscar awards, but aside from CGI, Avatar was just mediocre. At least I know that when I go see Transformers I'm going for cool CGI. But Avatar made it out like it was the second coming of Jesus (that movie actually had a marketing budget as big as the production budget. that tells you a lot about a movie imo.)
I'm sure I'll be once again called a nitpick … but Avatar is pretty clearly one of the most over-rated movies ever. Aside from CGI all you have is a stolen kiddie story, mediocre acting and an over-the-top marketing campaign.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2351

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,340

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 20:07
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I'm sure I'll be once again called a nitpick … but Avatar is pretty clearly one of the most over-rated movies ever. Aside from CGI all you have is a stolen kiddie story, mediocre acting and an over-the-top marketing campaign.
Agreed. And I hear they're already in production for the next avatar movie.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2352

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,079

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 20:09
Avatar IS ment to be just CGI. Nothing more. And it didn't try to be something else.

Dunno what exactly was overrated in it. I mean, noone can say Avatar is a best melancholic drama ever - when it's not. Nor it tried to be.

Transformers is not just CGI. I wish it was. Instead, it's a movie about Megan Fox boobs.

Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
Mass Effect 4 Shepard
RPGWatch Donor

#2353

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,968

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 20:17
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Avatar IS ment to be just CGI. Nothing more. And it didn't try to be something else.

Dunno what exactly was overrated in it. I mean, noone can say Avatar is a best melancholic drama ever - when it's not. Nor it tried to be.

Transformers is not CGI. I wish it was. Instead, it's a movie about Megan Fox boobs.
I don't know if avatar tried to be more than CGI. But I do know that having a huge budget of marketing and then getting a huge return on investment for that marketing sends wrongs signals to moviemakers/moneymakers about what needs to be put in a movie. Just throw cash at flooding the people marketing about a movie (also attach a big name director) and it'll sell like hotcakes. I'm sure they already know that, but movies like avatar just proves that they can still do that.

And granted, Transformers was that also, it also had amazing CGI. Better than Avatar imo. Or maybe I'm just more into huge robots fighting, than what Avatar had to show.
danutz_plusplus is offline

danutz_plusplus

danutz_plusplus's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch

#2354

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,079

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 21:09
So I just watched Lars von Trier's Melancholia. And I have to say that I was very disappointed with this movie. Hailed as probably the best movie of 2011, and going on to win a lot prizes, too, I felt confound, confused, and bewildered. What was my fellow country man, Lars von Trier, trying to say: That melancholia is a planet that destorys all life? or that the lavish luxury times have ended? or maybe something in between. link to imdb's info about the movie:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527186/

On the other hand, if the movie was about me - and the audience - feel the emotional disturbence in the lead character's role (played brilliantly by Kirsten Dunst, btw), then it definitely succeeded. However, aside from the beautiful scenery and the nice cinematograpphy, I felt the movie was way to long; I also was very bored. One can only take so many movies about how phoney marriages are etc. etc.

Grown Ups 2 was fun to watch, though. Maybe a cure for melancholia..

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.
aries100 is offline

aries100

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team RPGWatch Donor

#2355

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark, Europe
Posts: 2,007

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 21:10
Avatar was clearly a movie that was trying to convey a message - and was trying to be serious about the evil of corporate power - and the wonders of being one with nature.

Unfortunately, it was utter crap and had THE most predictable script I've ever experienced, and I mean that literally. It's the only movie where I've been able to predict what felt like half the lines in whole damned thing.

It also had a shocking amount of cliché characters all of whom acted in complete accordance with their cliché profiles. Wonderful.

The fact that joxer advocates smoking as not unhealthy because he's not personally dead yet and talks about Avatar not being overrated both combine into bullshit that's worthy of being lines in the Avatar sequel.
DArtagnan is offline

DArtagnan

DArtagnan's Avatar
Waste of potential

#2356

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 14,192

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 23:28
I consider myself pretty easy to please entertainment wise, although it is not often that something comes along and leaves me completely awestruck. Avatar was neither. Not since The Neverending Story II, which was the first time I experienced that going to the movies didn't always have to be fun, have I been this bored. Story, characters etc was cliché and the effects didn't do a thing for me. I thought most of it looked awfully un-natural. Probably not the worst film I've seen but just incredible boring. I'm not going to watch Avatar II, III, IV and so on.
stealth is offline

stealth

Sentinel

#2357

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denmark
Posts: 313

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 23:30
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
The fact that joxer advocates smoking as not unhealthy because he's not personally dead yet and talks about Avatar not being overrated both combine into bullshit that's worthy of being lines in the Avatar sequel.
LOL!! One of your best lines, Dart.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Misbegotten Alien

#2358

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 2,420

Default 

January 4th, 2014, 23:47
An insult on a personal basis is one of someone's best lines?
I don't want to know what horseshit he throws on ppl that actually did something to him. Too bad I can still see quotes of his crap you make, other than that the forum became a beautiful place since I did this:


Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
Mass Effect 4 Shepard
RPGWatch Donor

#2359

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,968

Default 

January 5th, 2014, 01:15
Not really personal at all, IMO.

Ugh, defending Dart
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Misbegotten Alien

#2360

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 2,420
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:43.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch