|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » And this is why the American media is pathetic.

Default And this is why the American media is pathetic.

January 24th, 2014, 05:57
Move over NSA data collection, there's something far more important for ratings.

loading…

This is so surreal!

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

January 24th, 2014, 06:02
Wow, it makes a person embarrassed to be a human as I'm sure this isn't isolated to American media.

Never understood the fascination with celebrities, I guess most people just don't have lives of their own.

sakichop

SasqWatch

January 24th, 2014, 06:10
While generally speaking you're right, one thing to consider is that this whole NSA thing has been discussed ad nauseam for the past couple months. It's not like breaking away from some no-name congress woman rambling over the same worn out trail means we're really missing anything. In fact, one could probably argue that anything happening at the moment might genuinely be more newsworthy than giving a pulpit to some politician so we can hear the same feigned indignation for the millionth time.

Besides, if you're wanting actual news, the last place you'd want to go is MSNBC anyway. They're to journalism what professional wrestling is to sport.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Division Champs! / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

January 24th, 2014, 06:23
I realize you're playing devil's advocate, DTE… but come on, man - some kid gets pulled over and charged for being a dumbass and that merits breaking away from a Senator talking about the NSA playing God? Even if it has been covered ad-nauseum, it plays like a scene out of Idiocracy and is absolutely repugnant.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

January 24th, 2014, 11:37
But the thing that is key is that news shows and channels are for-profit and ratings driven, therefore as much as we SAY we would like journalism, what we actually reward is Rachel Maddow and Bill O'Reilly yelling nonsense strawmen all day … and we also place celebrities in a nonsensically important place in our society.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 24th, 2014, 11:40
The problem isn't so much that we make celebrities important - but that there is such a thing as a celebrity.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

January 24th, 2014, 15:14
I only read the local news from my hometown. The only other newbits I get is from the Internet. I think its a better format, since I can do my own research on the subject, get better in-depth articles, find other viewpoints. Once we're one generation further, TV news might entirely fade away.

hishadow

Level N+1

January 24th, 2014, 23:43
I guarantee the only thing the NSA cares about is not getting busted again by some whistle blower. They aren't working on anything other than preventing another 'Edward Snowden' incident. They don't give a whit about 'transparency.' That's what happens when you live under police state rule.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

January 25th, 2014, 02:09
Oh, and here's what happens in the 'newly minted' United States of America if you speak out against the chosen one:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new…ndicted-673670

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014…party-funding/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014…rly-two-years/

If you exercise your free speech rights in the US, that's fine, but only if you agree with the left. Otherwise, this is what you get in the United States if you're a conservative.

Sir Markus

Keeper of the Watch

January 25th, 2014, 15:35
Not sure the NSA had done everything inclusive hacking to get more focus towards celebrities and away from them ?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 25th, 2014, 18:54
There is an oz of truth, itself openly saying, "Don't ever F$%^ing take us seriously"

@markus, take it easy on anything related to that GoBlin clown

check out the Jane, she's all for looking into others until she was caught with the tools herself implemented.

"A strong president, means having the strength to resist the temptation of taking all that power isn't yours" - Ron Paul

"If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions",- Government

mudsling3

Sentinel

January 25th, 2014, 22:23
Originally Posted by Sir Markus View Post
If you exercise your free speech rights in the US, that's fine, but only if you agree with the left. Otherwise, this is what you get in the United States if you're a conservative.
Um, no. Just no. It isn't a left/right thing - it is a 'who is in power' thing. And honestly, free speech NEVER took a hit like it did under Bush. The whole 'America, support it or get out' thing took on violent proportions.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 26th, 2014, 14:17
Media businesses will generally present what the public wants to see, read, or hear.

Monk

Watcher

January 28th, 2014, 08:59
While this is kind of sad… We have to ask ourselves, about which thing have we posted more along the years, in here, in Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Justin Bieber, or NSA?

And about which have we read more articles, long and short, over the years? I'm just saying, if we're being honest, at least 2/3 of us would answer Justin Bieber.

Commercially based news networks tend to report what people want to hear.

tuukka

Watchdog

January 29th, 2014, 01:02
Here is another thing you will never see reported on mainstream tv:
http://www.theguardian.com/environme…mate-apartheid
A real life elysium.
Last edited by Biff The Understudy; January 29th, 2014 at 20:59.

Biff The Understudy

Watchdog

January 30th, 2014, 18:28
Originally Posted by Biff The Understudy View Post
Here is another thing you will never see reported on mainstream tv:
http://www.theguardian.com/environme…mate-apartheid
A real life elysium.
To say that's "bad" is an broad understatement.

Eko Atlantic is where you can begin to see a possible future – a vision of privatized green enclaves for the ultra rich ringed by slums lacking water or electricity, in which a surplus population scramble for depleting resources and shelter to fend off the coming floods and storms. Protected by guards, guns, and an insurmountable gully – real estate prices – the rich will shield themselves from the rising tides of poverty and a sea that is literally rising. A world in which the rich and powerful exploit the global ecological crisis to widen and entrench already extreme inequalities and seal themselves off from its impacts – this is climate apartheid.
Ugh. Welcome to the Future !

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Last edited by Alrik Fassbauer; January 30th, 2014 at 18:41.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

January 31st, 2014, 23:12
Originally Posted by Sir Markus View Post
Oh, and here's what happens in the 'newly minted' United States of America if you speak out against the chosen one:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new…ndicted-673670

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014…party-funding/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014…rly-two-years/

Yes, you get multi-million contracts. Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck spew right-wing lies, and get richly rewarded by corporate US. Yay for bought and paid for free speech!

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

February 1st, 2014, 00:07
It was absolutely embarrasing. I hate to say it, but I'm so disgusted with all our main stream media that I've considered watching Al-Jazeera America. Saw an interview with the guy that is the lead anchor on it and was pretty impressed.

————————————————-

"Ya'll can go to HELL! I'm-a-goin' to TEXAS!"

- Davy Crockett

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist

February 1st, 2014, 01:02
If you are looking for actual news by unbiased reporters rather then agenda driven propaganda i would suggest these sites:

http://therealnews.com/t2/

http://www.truth-out.org/

http://www.democracynow.org/

Biff The Understudy

Watchdog

February 3rd, 2014, 14:21
*shrugs* I thought it was hilarious.

I'm sure miss congresswoman doesn't share my sentiment.

colewr

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Politics, Religion & other Controversies » And this is why the American media is pathetic.