|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread

Default The TV Series discussion thread

February 16th, 2014, 07:41
Suffering from a post-storyarc-depression after I watched the first arc of the Lost Missions last night (Star Wars: The Clone Wars). The four-episode arc dealt with poor
Spoiler
being just too smart for his own good. Utter cruelty.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

February 16th, 2014, 14:11
dte, you're obviously asking for too much - in certain aspects. You should skip this show completely as it doesn't get serious. I can only suggest you try the danish show Borgen.

All others who want to get spoiled which score you'll hear in a 7th episode while enjoying a horror show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGb5IweiYG8

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 17th, 2014, 13:41
just finished binge-watching season 2 of House of Cards, loved it as much (if not more) than season 1… awesome!

wolfing

Wonders what SasqWatch is

February 19th, 2014, 05:40
Can someone suggest a TV-show with an actual plot? I don't know much about shows, a caveman here, the only three I watched were Dexter, Prison Break and The Game of Thrones. All others that I tried were episodic, and that was such an instant turn-off that I never finished a single season. I want to see something internally linked and with plot twists, like a novel, rather than a bunch of short stories loosely related to each other.

I found out that it's really difficult to figure out which ones are normal and which ones are episodic, from show descriptions! I prefer criminal themes, something about police and serial killers, but currently I'd go for anything good with a real plot. Thanks.

Elel

Watchdog

February 19th, 2014, 06:25
Originally Posted by Elel View Post
I prefer criminal themes, something about police and serial killers, but currently I'd go for anything good with a real plot. Thanks.
Dont know how far back in time you want to go but there are probably quite a few. 24 was ok for its time though I only watched a few seasons (more terrorism related). Hannibal is more recent in the serial killer area and has many similarities to Dexter (not sure if its on Netflix yet but would expect it). I generally liked The Mentalist but they really stretched out the overarching plot over several seasons.

Anyway most shows will be episodic (with 5-10 minutes of bigger arch) or else most viewers who do not watch each episode will get lost. Happened with me with Lost and 24 and its hard to start watching again after that happens.

figment

Sentinel
RPGWatch Donor

February 19th, 2014, 07:30
Babylon 5 was a fine Sci-Fi show with a fairly wide-spanning story if I recall correctly, as opposed to say, Star Trek, which was purely episodic. I'm not sure about recent ones.

Originally Posted by figment View Post
viewers who do not watch each episode will get lost. Happened with me with Lost (..)
Heh.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

February 19th, 2014, 08:00
I found out that it's really difficult to figure out which ones are normal and which ones are episodic, from show descriptions! I prefer criminal themes, something about police and serial killers, but currently I'd go for anything good with a real plot. Thanks.
You definitely need to check out True Detective.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 19th, 2014, 08:36
Can someone suggest a TV-show with an actual plot?
Have you seen Breaking Bad? It keeps villain-of-the-week syndrome down to a minimum.

Drithius

Misbegotten Alien

February 19th, 2014, 09:41
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
You definitely need to check out True Detective.
I second that in a big way

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 19th, 2014, 09:44
Can someone suggest a TV-show with an actual plot? I don't know much about shows, a caveman here, the only three I watched were Dexter, Prison Break and The Game of Thrones. All others that I tried were episodic, and that was such an instant turn-off that I never finished a single season. I want to see something internally linked and with plot twists, like a novel, rather than a bunch of short stories loosely related to each other.

My opinion:

True Detective - 9.5/10

First of all, we've only seen 5 out of 8 episodes of the first season. But, so far, it's the strongest first season I've EVER seen of any show, period. That said, the plot itself isn't really the strong point of the thing - it's the characters and the absolutely beautiful way it's shot and executed.

The Wire - 9.5/10

The most plausible and realistic crime show I'm aware of. Everything in this one rings absolutely true - and it's full of fantastic characters. Every season is an intricate and multifaceted story told from all sides.

Broen (the Scandinavian version) - 8.5/10

Relatively standard plot - though it's slightly less extreme than most of these serial killer shows. Again, the characters represent the best part of the show, and it just happens to have my favorite female character of all time - and that's saying something, as I generally consider female characters underwritten and redundant. Also, one of the most powerful endings out there. I'm talking about season one, by the way.

Forbrydelsen (the Scandinavian version) - 7.5/10

This is all about atmosphere and execution. The characters are strong, but it's just a combination of elements that make this work so well. It's a long one with 20 episodes - and it manages to keep your attention throughout.

The Shield - 7/10

This is the weakest of the bunch, but still a great show. Great characters and a very long story arc. It's like a less plausible and more spectacular The Wire - so check out The Wire first - and if you like it, go The Shield next time you want something similar.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

February 19th, 2014, 17:03
Sopranos, The Shield, True Detective, House of Cards, The Wire, Breaking Bad.
In that order Well, Sopranos and The Shield is a must at least, imo. True Detective is probably going to be top 5 of crime series too..

The french "zombie" series Les Revenants is amazing too.. (it's far from the usual zombies that we usually see).

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

February 19th, 2014, 19:42
Thank you all, that was a really big help! I'm definitely taking all your suggestions seriously and will try to find every show. My family and relatives share my love for non-episodic plots and my taste, so we all are going to enjoy them!

Special thanks to DArtagnan for detailed descriptions.

Originally Posted by figment View Post
Anyway most shows will be episodic (with 5-10 minutes of bigger arch) or else most viewers who do not watch each episode will get lost. Happened with me with Lost and 24 and its hard to start watching again after that happens.
I really don't get this… When you watch something episodic, there's no incensitive at all to watch any further. No matter how good it is, each episode feels like a separate story and you lose nothing if you don't watch another one.

Elel

Watchdog

February 19th, 2014, 19:49
I really don't get this… When you watch something episodic, there's no incensitive at all to watch any further. No matter how good it is, each episode feels like a separate story and you lose nothing if you don't watch another one.
The point, then, is to get attached to the characters and setting, I guess. For example, if you haven't seen Doctor Who or Red Dwarf, you're missing out.

"Mystery is important. To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." ~ Cortez, from The Longest Journey

Arhu

Feline Wizard
RPGWatch Team

February 19th, 2014, 21:56
Did you miss this little thing called 'the entire history of television'?

Non-episodic TV is an incredibly small percentage of scripted shows, not even counting reality and game and contest shows!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 19th, 2014, 22:10
Good to know that there's not much to find. And yeah, I never really watched TV. Music was my thing as a hobby: listening, playing, singing, etc. Took too much time to be left for something else. If anyone remembers another show to suggest, I'm still listening.

Elel

Watchdog

February 19th, 2014, 23:45
Dallas, Dynasty, Eastenders, Santa Barbra, Neighbors…

MinorityReport

Watchdog

February 20th, 2014, 00:00

I prefer criminal themes, something about police and serial killers, but currently I'd go for anything good with a real plot. Thanks.
Man… You should have read this thread from the beginning.
But no matter. You want shows that follow a story and not a case per episode…

About police and killers… I've mentioned Bron/Broen a few times. Do not watch remakes. If you can't find the original (and you could before as whole season 1 was subtitled and uploaded on youtube), don't watch it at all. Season 1 is a masterpiece, season 2 is more than a masterpiece. It starts with an uninteresting murder on a bridge between two countries and then evolves into a huge pile of mishappenings. And while it can't have a happy end, everyone learns something from the maniac on a rampage.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/

Another one about police and all kinds of crime not just killers is a french show Engrenages. It contains not just detective stuff and cop chases, twists and turns, but also analyzes different layers of morality. That show shouldn't be watched under 21, and not because sex scenes, honestly I don't remember there were much of those or excessive nudity like in US shows. Violence, bodies and crimescenes are presented perhaps too much graphically. Every season does it's own story, but the team is the same (well… not quite, but I mustn't spoil it).
www.imdb.com/title/tt0477507/

Not a cop show, but something I bet you'll adore is Utopia. This show touches a certain hot potato of the modern society, the character development is unbelievably awsome and the whole thing is a net woven so perfectly I'd say it'll remain possibly the most important TV show of this decade. Season 2 will air in a few months, season 1 if you can't find it on a network available to you is available on DVD.
www.imdb.com/title/tt2384811/

A nearmasterpiece show, an awsome disection what happens in a small peaceful town when a murder is commited and everyone gets unmasked. Brits made Broadchurch that was so good it'll get a second season although it wasn't planned. Probably about another case as the first one is solved in the season 1.
www.imdb.com/title/tt2249364/

Not really a cop show, but with murders, some sci fi that is very possible and hell the main protagonist pretends to be a police detective. Partially. There was a mass audience protest when they didn't nominate the lead actress for Emmy, I was also a part of it and as others I didn't watch emmies at all. You won't believe how come you didn't watch that show already and how come others didn't mention it. It's Orphan Black and it keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/

That's what comes in mind, can't think of any other this moment I'd suggest, but well… You have enough there to keep you occupied for days.

Vurt mentiones some series above…
Sopranos is IMO a stockpile of crap. To see if it's your pair of shoes, do give it a try with a few episodes. Some people love it, some like me get sick of it almost instantly.
The Wire is classic, if you didn't watch it, skip everything else and watch it immediately.
True Detective is not even near my "to watch" list - I couldn't stand the show Cheers and will not watch any new TV show with actors from it.
Didn't watch House of Cards (never heard of it, honestly) nor Breaking Bad (that one is on my to watch list as soon as possible) so dunno about those two.

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; February 20th, 2014 at 00:21.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 20th, 2014, 20:09
Thank you a lot, joxer! I really feel like a caveman who just discovered TV

Elel

Watchdog

February 20th, 2014, 20:30
Get real. A caveman that discovered TV would probably stumble upon something like Desperate Housewives and would thought all shows are similar so instead of searching for better, he'd turn off TV and never get back to it.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 20th, 2014, 20:55
Of course, the best reason to watch TV is for sports….and top of that heap is hockey…so well done, Canadian ladies on a hard fought game for gold!!~

Carnifex

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » The TV Series discussion thread