|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Playing classics on mobile platforms

Default Playing classics on mobile platforms

February 24th, 2014, 17:08
I've been meaning to try out some of the "classics" of seemingly interesting genres for a while now, just to know what all the fuss is about. I'm specifically thinking of adventure games like the Monkey Island series and Grim Fandango and the often mentioned JRPGs Chrono Trigger and some of the Final Fantasies (6-9).

I've so far been against getting mobile games on my ipad but since some of these more "serious" titles have been re-released on the appstore I'm tempted to go through that route rather than getting them off Steam and messing with emulators.

What are your guys' thoughts?

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

February 24th, 2014, 21:41
I've run some games through emulators, including the MAME emulator and Broken Steel.

Too many games are difficult to control on the touch screen. Its great to have them run and be portable but its too problematic. Worse than porting a console game over to PC.

I've be more curious to see how some games run on Windows 8 on mobile. You likely wouldn't need to run most on an emulator.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

February 25th, 2014, 00:53
Games like Monkey Island and the Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are solid ports, I like playing them on the iPad/iPhone more than on the PSP / DS anyway.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 25th, 2014, 02:31
Why would someone play proper games on phones?

Play games normal people play on phones (from escapist):

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

February 25th, 2014, 05:52
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
When travelling?

pibbur

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13

February 26th, 2014, 00:58
Ended up playing the first 2 Monkey Island games on it. They were generally a bit harder, due to lack of a cursor "exploring the screen" but the 2nd one mostly fixed that issue.

Since the 3rd one hasn't gotten the Special Edition treatment I'll have to get it on Steam. Amazon?

Which should I play first between Final Fantasy 6 and ChronoTrigger, given complete lack of JRPG experience?

Knew this would be a Joxer bait. Mobility, screen quality and just the overall ease of use. Fwiw I'm talking about a tablet.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.
Last edited by Kostas; February 26th, 2014 at 01:16.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

February 26th, 2014, 03:07
It really depends on the game. Phoenix Wright trilogy was an excellent port to iOS (iPad in my case) and I was glad to get it at a substantially cheaper price than the originals as a bonus. Some people don't have the original hardware or difficulty obtaining the original software, so right there is some value.

I'm not as great of a fan of the Final Fantasy games, because I struggle with the touchscreen movement controls. It is still quite playable, just a little frustrating at times. The same can be said with the reimagined Transport Tycoon game. I loved that game on pc, but not a fan of the touch screen controls. For me, it is a very mouse centric game.

Scrav

Watchdog

February 26th, 2014, 04:40
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
Which should I play first between Final Fantasy 6 and ChronoTrigger, given complete lack of JRPG experience?
Given I didn't play a JRPG until Final Fantasy I&II release on the GBA … my personal choice is Final Fantasy VI, as that is my fave of the series. I am enjoying it now … but both are classics.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

February 28th, 2014, 06:29
FF9 is available for tablet/iphone?? Can someone please send me a link please?

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

February 28th, 2014, 14:26
Um… I was misunderstood.
I'm not saying you shouldn't play games on phones. I'm just saying you should play games ment to be played on phones. Milk-me games.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 2nd, 2014, 11:56
Um… I was misunderstood.
I'm not saying you shouldn't play games on phones. I'm just saying you should play games ment to be played on phones. Milk-me games.
Why not play good games on phones instead? Any game that relies on a simple point & click interface should work just fine.

Fnord

Keeper of the Watch

March 12th, 2014, 05:33
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Given I didn't play a JRPG until Final Fantasy I&II release on the GBA … my personal choice is Final Fantasy VI, as that is my fave of the series. I am enjoying it now … but both are classics.
Mike, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly do you enjoy(/appreciate?) about FFVI?
(serious question btw)

Last edited by Kostas; March 12th, 2014 at 05:44.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Playing classics on mobile platforms