|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - 20 Years of Elder Scrolls

Default Bethesda Softworks - 20 Years of Elder Scrolls

March 26th, 2014, 14:43
Bethesda has a new post on the company's blog with a letter from Todd Howard that celebrate 20 Years of Elder Scrolls. I can't believe it has been that long already.

There are many memories of what this series has meant to us, and to you. But I often think of one. When we were making Skyrim, but before it was announced, we were visited by a teenager through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. That day in our area, the foundation had arranged for several kids to spend time with President Obama, another with Spider-Man, and this amazing person with us. That was his wish – to see the new Elder Scrolls game. He was the first person outside the team to ever play Skyrim.

And that’s the thing not just about The Elder Scrolls, but experiences like it. They’re important. Yes, they are just games, or just entertainment. But how we all spend our time is important. The best experiences can fill you with the wonder of discovery, and the pride of accomplishment. The fact that you have spent so much time in these worlds with us, and have supported us each and every game, has meant the world to us.

And now The Elder Scrolls is ready to head in a new direction – online. The great folks at ZeniMax Online have brought the same passion and dedication to that game that we brought to ours. And like the other titles, it will be its own thing. We hope you give them the same support and feedback you’ve given us for so long.

Where does The Elder Scrolls go over the next 20 years? Time will tell. But I know it will continue to be an amazing partnership with you. And we can’t wait to play it.
More information.

Couchpotato

LazyGamer
RPGWatch Team

March 26th, 2014, 14:43
Well Mr Howard, If TES will go permanently to mmo, our partnership ends. For our mutual satisfaction if I may dare to say.

Misha

SasqWatch

March 26th, 2014, 14:48
20 years? Ouch.

I can't wait for the response from the anti-socials. Let me guess: Whining about another team doing another kind of game in the same setting

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 26th, 2014, 15:19
I won't play the MMO much, so I hope TES VI is on the burner somewhere. If not, there will be other single-player open world games. Skyrim sold 10 million copies. There's a market.

'nut

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

March 26th, 2014, 15:56
It's still less number than angry birds and candy crush market.

Although… The price per game copy is different.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

March 26th, 2014, 16:07
I don't like the fact that they allowed a different development team to make a TES game, and I dislike that it's an MMO even more. They should have used different lore and called it something else.

Spoiler

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 26th, 2014, 16:07
Spoiler – secret

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 26th, 2014, 17:05
It's getting hot in here.

epithumia

thiefmissions.com

March 26th, 2014, 17:07
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
20 years? Ouch.

I can't wait for the response from the anti-socials. Let me guess: Whining about another team doing another kind of game in the same setting
The problem is when said MMO represents the end of SP games in the same setting like happened with Warcraft…

Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I won't play the MMO much, so I hope TES VI is on the burner somewhere. If not, there will be other single-player open world games. Skyrim sold 10 million copies. There's a market.
I guess Fallout 4 will appear before that, but I hope the MMO don't represent the end of TES as a SP franchise…

gandalf.nho

Huntress

March 26th, 2014, 17:20
Does anyone really think Bethesda will stop making single player rpg's? I would not only bet all the money I have on it but my house and dogs also Skyrim sold 20 million copies. There is no way in hell they will stop. People who even speculate on this are just stirring the pot.

"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

March 26th, 2014, 17:41
Originally Posted by gandalf.nho View Post
The problem is when said MMO represents the end of SP games in the same setting like happened with Warcraft…
Warcraft was never a SP game.

How do you know we'll never see another one?

Did you notice they've been developing StarCraft 2 and 2 expansions? They tend to do these games in order of franchise.

But they're the same developers = Blizzard.

ESO is not being developed by Howard and his team.

Do you want to take a bet on whether or not we'll see another TES singleplayer game?

I guess Fallout 4 will appear before that, but I hope the MMO don't represent the end of TES as a SP franchise…
To me, it seems completely irrational to expect Skyrim - a singleplayer game that sold more than 10 million copies - to be the last game in that franchise.

Utterly and completely irrational.

But whatever, if being fearful for no reason is what makes people whine about ESO - then it sort of proves my point.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential

March 26th, 2014, 17:47
I think it's obvious that he meant they stopped making Warcraft games that included a single-player mode.

JDR13

SasqWatch

March 26th, 2014, 17:54
I think there is good chance we will get ES IV unlike the case with Warcraft .

I read an interview somewhere in which Todd said that ESO is set in the past and not in the future. I think they said the main reason for this is that they can continue to make new single player games which are set in the future.

lostforever

Keeper of the Watch

March 26th, 2014, 18:21
MMO is better than singleplayer game in almost every aspect except for:
- you need Internet connection while you play MMO
- you miss the most powerful mega-cheat-spell in RPG called Save/Load

What you gain with MMO:
- Ten-times better patching and ten-times more expansions
- Ten-times bigger world
- Possibility to spend some time with real-players in the game world.

That's how I see it. Both lists can be extended and we can argue about 'ten-times' clause of course

Lev

Watcher

March 26th, 2014, 19:13
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I think it's obvious that he meant they stopped making Warcraft games that included a single-player mode.
Yep

Originally Posted by Lev View Post
MMO is better than singleplayer game in almost every aspect except for:
- you need Internet connection while you play MMO
- you miss the most powerful mega-cheat-spell in RPG called Save/Load

What you gain with MMO:
- Ten-times better patching and ten-times more expansions
- Ten-times bigger world
- Possibility to spend some time with real-players in the game world.

That's how I see it. Both lists can be extended and we can argue about 'ten-times' clause of course
You forget more money expended too because the better MMOs or are subscription-only or the F2P is too much limited without expending some real money

gandalf.nho

Huntress

March 26th, 2014, 20:14
TES 6 will be. Claiming that TES online is going to end the series pushes its influence too far.
All the questions are about the way TES online is going to permeate the TES series.

Both are too close to consider each of them insulated one from another.

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

March 28th, 2014, 03:12
Obama was the first person outside the team to play Skyrim!!!!

Oh wait, I read it wrong. Rats. I never should have re-read it. That would have been a cool thing to believe.

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Bethesda Softworks - 20 Years of Elder Scrolls