|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Underrail, formerly known as Timelapse Vertigo

Default Underrail, formerly known as Timelapse Vertigo

April 17th, 2014, 00:06
Can't wait to play the finished game. Definitely one of my most anticipated indie games.

abharsair

Grumpmaster
RPGWatch Donor

April 17th, 2014, 11:24
Very nice!

Dr. A

Keeper of the Watch

May 23rd, 2014, 13:25
New Meds, Psi, and Weapons; Core City Sneak Peek

Hey guys. The development of the next city-state in the world of Underrail is in full swing. Core City, the metropolis of the South Underrail, is the largest of the urban areas this game will feature. Here's a little sneak peek:

I've added more firearms: one new pistol, one new SMG, two more assault rifles and two more sniper rifles. Also added two new crossbows. One model from each of the weapon categories (pistol, SMG, crossbow, etc) will be only available through crafting. This doesn't mean it will necessarily be stronger than the others, just different.

I've tweaked the base stats (damage spread, crit chance, crit bonus, precision, etc) of each of the firearm and crossbow models to diversify them further and make the choice between them more meaningful when crafting or purchasing. I won't be adding any more craftable firearms or crossbows to the game (though we will be adding unique ones), instead I'll be adding more weapon enhancements you'll be able to add to the mix when crafting your weapon of choice. These new enhancements will only be available through crafting, meaning, they won't appear (or will appear extremely rarely) on randomly generated gear.

Additionally, in the future I will be adding more character feats that will play on strengths of thoughtfully crafted and enhanced custom weapons. E.g. if you make a character build that gives you a number of ways to perform on-demand critical hits, you'll want to stack critical damage bonus and use a slow hard hitting weapon; while on the other hand if you have feats that give you extra on-hit effects (such as flat damage bonus) with critical hits and have high dexterity you'll want to use quick light weapons with high critical hit chance.

In other news:
  • Items
    • Added throwing knives - they are fairly inexpensive and their damage scales with your throwing skill. While they are unlikely to replace your primary offensive skill, they do act as a nice ranged supplement for high dexterity characters, especially when you use the poisoned ones.
    • Added electrical pistols - a type of energy pistol that shoots electrical bolts that stun the primary target and jump a few times (similar to electroshock bolts)
    • Added two energy weapon enhancements - only applicable through crafting; one increases the critical damage bonus, while the other increases the special attack damage
    • Added 5 new crafting only meds and appropriate organs and chemicals that are needed to produce them
  • Creatures
    • Added the deadly coil spider
  • Psi
    • Added Thermodynamic Destabilization (metathermics) - You tag a creature with a debuff. If you kill it within 2 turns, it will explode, dealing heat and mechanical damage to everything around it. The amount of damage dealt scales with the metathermics skill and the amount of health the creature had when it was tagged
    • Added Enrage (Thought Control) - Enrages a living target for up to 4 turns which causes it to turn hostile to everyone.
    • Reworked Force Emission (Psychokinesis) - No longer provides extra range, but works with fist weapons as well.
    • Added Telekinetic Proxy (Psychokinesis) - Moves the telekinetic proxy from its current location to the specified location, dealing mechanical damage to everything in its path. If the proxy is not present, is too far away, or doesn't have a clear straight line path to the destination, a new one will be spawned. Telekinetic proxy will mimic your single target telekinetic psi abilities and effects (currently Telekinetic Punch and Force Emission) if the target is within its radius. The proxy lasts 3 turns, but the timer refreshes with each move or mimic.
  • Bug fixes
    • Fixed the overly heavy boots (will only affect the newly generated/crafted items, the old ones will remain heavy)
    • Crawler poison component now correctly named (was "Cave Ear" poison)
    • Plot items can no longer vanish when attempting to transfer them to the trading window (oops)
    • Opportunity feat now works with wrestling/tacklling (they are considered slows)
    • Balaclava repair category changed to fabric
    • Armor penalty calculation rounding errors fixed (Nimble feat should now apply properly in all cases)
    • Bleeding wounds from boots/armor enhancements will now stack as they should
    • Weapons of wheeled bots and turrets now considered firearms so vests should work correctly against them now
    • Dirty kick now triggers hostilities as it does in real life
    • You can now reload chemical pistol from the quick reload bar like other weapons (cannot unload, that's inteded)
    • Combo feat will now properly stack when using armors or boots that provide extra damage
    • You can no longer use Expose Weakness to kill The Beast or other stuff that's immune to mechanical damage
    • No longer possible to beat up some creatures to the point their "armor" degrades

That's all for now. Cheers.

Styg

Watchdog

July 7th, 2014, 10:22
Blood Sports

Hey guys. We've been quiet lately, but that's only because we've been working hard on the biggest and the most difficult section of the game, center of the game world, the metropolis that is Core City.

The Core City is the place of extremes. On one hand we have the oligarch families and their associates who live lives of luxury (or at least what can be considered such in the world of Underrail) while on the other hand the slums are filled with the poor that perish daily from hunger, disease and gang fighting.

The masters of Core City know how to keep the masses complacent though. What started as place for gangs to settle their disputes has grown to become the most popular form of entertainment in the city and the whole of Underrail. We're talking about the Arena, the Roman style field of combat where they pit men against various deadly creatures as well as gladiator against gladiator. All for the viewing pleasure of the numerous Arena fans. Watching people die violently is the favorite pastime for the oppressed masses of Core City.

People from all over the Underrail pay for the privilege to watch direct broadcasts of these fights as well as take trips to Core City to watch the matches live, if they can manage to get hold of tickets which are always sold out quickly. The Arena and the its betting office have made the oligarch families rich.

Players will, of course, be given an opportunity to test themselves in the Arena and see if they have what it takes to climb all the way to the top and claim the title of Invictus.

Beyond that they will also have an opportunity to enter the Gauntlet, and new blood sport where the contenders race through series of rooms, each containing a unique challenge, to be the first to reach the finish line and claim the prize, or die trying.

This update will be taking us a bit longer than we expected, but in many ways this is the hardest section to develop. It encompasses more intractable NPCs than any other update, way more urban areas than any other city so far as well as multiple quest-lines. All this stuffs had us stretched a bit thin, but if we get this part of the game right it should be more or less smooth sailing to completion.

Styg

Watchdog

July 7th, 2014, 14:14
It looks like it's coming along nicely. This game continues to look even better with each update.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 7th, 2014, 15:35
Yep, it does look great. If I wasn't so busy with older games that I missed I would give this a shot. I have to play the original Fallouts first, though!

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

July 9th, 2014, 09:20
Nice! Seems to be a bit more clutter, which is great. Really like the image with the tent!

SiiiiLENCE the DISCOOOORD…

vurt

Serial Modderer

August 6th, 2014, 19:45
Version 0.1.12.0 released

Hey guys, the new version is up. We're all very happy to have finally released this. It's the centerpiece of the game, our Athkatla/Sigil/Neverwinter. The main story still has places to go and we still plan on introducing more factions and sideplots, but expect the future updates to be a lot more focused and a lot less spacious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rmm48LYz3I

We showed you bunch of screenshots already, so for this occassion we decided to make a short teaser trailer instead.

As before, we're releasing it to Steam first until we're sure it's stable and any potential major bugs that we missed during internal testing are fixed.

And because no dev log would be complete without a bullet list, here's an incomplete list of minor tweaks and stuff that were done since the last dev log:
  • Tweaks
    • EMP mine blueprint component requirements changed to be the same to that of the EMP grenade
    • Increased the amount of bear traps crafted when not applying poison to 10
    • Increased the amount of caltrops crafted when not applying poison to 10
    • Reduced the cost of metal plates and, by extension, some items that are crafted from them
    • Added an option to turn off automatic door opening
    • Removed the cooldown of Burst attack (don't know why it was there in the first place)
  • Bugs
    • Hopefully finally fixed the bug(s) that caused the factions to get all messed up after the Junkyard showdown event
    • Merchants will no longer roam while in bartering mode
    • Game will no longer crash when saving while mining
    • Chemical pistols have weight now
    • Action point counter fixed to work with extreme amounts of action points
    • Adrenaline shot will now always properly grant 20 bonus AP
    • Execute will no longer deal extra damage even if the target is not stunned/incapacitated

Enjoy the update folks, report bugs and let us know how you liked it. Cheers.

Styg

Watchdog

August 7th, 2014, 00:48
Great news, wish I had the time to play with it as I've loved it so far. Maybe when I finish D:OS, MAYBE!!

PS, I bought this way back in 2012 with the original Alpha, but I have never received a Steam Key. I don't even remember how I initially downloaded it. Any advice for when I want to update.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Last edited by Corwin; August 7th, 2014 at 07:05.

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

August 7th, 2014, 11:37
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Great news, wish I had the time to play with it as I've loved it so far. Maybe when I finish D:OS, MAYBE!!

PS, I bought this way back in 2012 with the original Alpha, but I have never received a Steam Key. I don't even remember how I initially downloaded it. Any advice for when I want to update.
There's four places (other than Steam) you might have gotten it from and that's where you'll find your Steam key: Desura, GamersGate, Groupees Bundle, Pirate Bay. Any of those ring a bell?

Styg

Watchdog

August 8th, 2014, 00:52
Well, it definitely wasn't Pirate Bay!! In the past, my Alpha version automatically updated when a newer version was released. I know it wasn't Steam because I checked my Steam account and it's not there. I don't think GG is available here in Oz, but if it's Desura I have no idea how to access any account there; at my age I never remember stuff like passwords. I'd write them down, but then I'd lose that list too. I only remember buying the game right after trying the Alpha Demo when it first came out. I didn't think you were using any portal back then; I thought it was just a click on your website.

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

September 29th, 2014, 11:59
With Fire and Brimstone

Hey guys, we took a couple weeks off in August/September to recharge our batteries, but we're back now and we're kicking it into high gear. While we're also working on new areas and quests (we'll get to that in some future dev log), I'm taking this time to finally implement last of the game mechanics (not quite done yet). In this case that would be fire and gas.

You will now be able to create fire bombs (such as Molotov cocktail) that set character, creatures and the ground on fire as well. The burning ground is very dangerous as it deals both flat and -percentage of max health- damage so you cannot ignore it even on high levels. The amount of damage dealt depends on the intensity of the flames (which depends on the power of the fire bomb, but can also stack if you throw multiple bombs).

You'll now also be able to craft gas grenades. The only type of gas grenade at the moment is "Toxic Gas Grenade" which deals flat bio damage. The damage dealt depends on the density of the gas (it's more dense at the source). While toxic gas doesn't deal damage quickly, the grenade does last for a long time and also bio resistance is currently not present on standard combat armors and if introduced later it will not be in generous amounts. Specialized equipment to deal with this and more powerful bio-hazzards will be added in the future. Also, players will encounter permanent sources of toxic gas in certain places (such as the one on the screenshot).

In other news, I've taken the time to do some UI improvements. This is probably the definitive list of the UI changes as I have tons of other stuff to get done before we release the game so I hope I answered most of your complaints/suggestions:
  • Added larger font options for everything (object labels, tooltips, quest notes, pop-up dialogs, combat log, etc)
  • Moves the combat log window slightly so it won't interrupt scrolling anymore
  • Added an option to auto-end turn when the player is out of MP and AP
  • Added more hotkeys (swap weapons, toggle shield, etc; might add more if necessary) and added keybinding options
  • Inspected containers that are empty are now marked as such
  • Increased the font in Combat Stats Overview window
  • Available component for a given blueprint will not be highlighted in the same manner as when trading
  • Double clicking (or ctrl clicking) a component will automatically transfer it to the crafting screen if appropriate blueprint is open
  • Clicking a crafting slot will automatically fill it with the first available component if empty, or clear it if full
  • ESC/ENTER and other intuitive hotkeys (such as Y/N) will now work inside confirmation boxes
  • While holding SHIFT player will not be able to issue move command as to prevent people from accidentally moving when they meant to shoot; keep in mind though that you'll still be able to issue a melee attack command that might require movement even when SHIFT is held

That's all for now dudes. Cheers.

Styg

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Underrail, formerly known as Timelapse Vertigo