|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

April 15th, 2014, 11:21
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
So here is the thing. I've enjoyed HotU so much, I'm thinking of having a go at some NWN mods…. something with good story and compatible with current patch 1.69. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of going for Shadowdale/Tethyr/Moonsea trilogy.
I can reccomend a bunch of good mods, but most are set in their own setting. Here is a short list and If you need more let me know as I can't link them all.

Spoiler – Mod List

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

RPGWatch News Editor & Moderator

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2014, 15:00
I recommend uninstall NWN and grab another game.

Mentioned that I'm back on Risen, and it's so bloody fun I can't believe myself.
I knew I'll die (be KOed) a thousand of times just because of early clunky combat, but that's something I couldn't care less in this game. Besides, now I'm highly skilled with staves mage which means not many mobs won't die after 1 or 2 hits.

And I can't believe I forgot that in this game - I can smoke! Not tobacco, but weed.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 15th, 2014, 15:09
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
I recommend uninstall NWN and grab another game.
What a surprise we should start your own I hate NWN thread. Now excuse while I continue to play the game, and mods like I have for over ten years already.

"It's quite simple my word is the law around here, and failure to comply means termination."

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

April 15th, 2014, 15:36
Actually a thread should be I hate DLC.

NWN as a game in my game library is so unimportant that I can't have an emotion towards it. Hatred included.
It's not a game I wish I never bought nor is a game I couldn't get enough of. It's like a B movie, you can die happily without watching it as you didn't miss anything.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 15th, 2014, 17:06
NWN wasn't a bad game (well, the original game campaign was, and a few hours playing with the toolset shows how little effort they put into it), but it depended almost entirely on the community to make it work. It was pretty clear that the driving forces behind it had no real experience playing D&D, with the basic tilesets being oddly incapable of recreating a lot of standard game settings.

I reinstall it and run through the first chapter of HotU every so often, but the best fun I had with it was just playing around in the toolkit. Well, that and doing crazy things in multiplayer.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

April 16th, 2014, 02:12
Thanks for the recommendations couch Seems like I will be busy for a while! I've just started Shadowdale yesterday, only got play like 30mins so can't say much yet.

@joxer: I dislike DLCs too but I don't see NWN modules as DLCs. In most cases they are completely separate adventures, it's free and depending on the mod, it can be long or short!

@Menigal: I don't usually dislike Bioware NPCs so I don't know what's happening with KotOR… maybe because I'm not too interested in the setting as well? All the aliens look more or less like humans (more so than ME series), they speak in annoying alien language (yes, its meant to be more realistic but I can hear they are repeating same crap over and over again) or they talk about SW universe lore stuff (like Mandolorian war, lifesaver, Jedi this, Jedi that) which is boring to me. And I HATE Carth. I really do.

Or maybe I'm getting old… too much whining reminds me of the work!

BG2 fan girl
BG2: Eowyn & Anomen
IWD: Orhlanna & Korin
ME: Shepard & Garrus

purpleblob

Princess

April 16th, 2014, 04:55
@joxer: I dislike DLCs too but I don't see NWN modules as DLCs. In most cases they are completely separate adventures, it's free and depending on the mod, it can be long or short!
I am assuming he is talking about his current hatred of DLC that he rants about every time a new game is released or any number of DLC-laden games comes up …

NWN, the expansions and premium modules are very much different - definitely NOT DLC … they are traditional expansions.

Personally I love NWN … but hey, why get into it about a 12 year old game … again!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

April 16th, 2014, 09:11
Thanks for the recommendations couch Seems like I will be busy for a while! I've just started Shadowdale yesterday, only got play like 30mins so can't say much yet.
You're welcome purpleblob.

I have spent 100's of hours playing mods myself in the last ten years. No other game has kept me playing as long NWN+NWN 2. Just let know if you need more.

Couchpotato

Evil Potato Overlord
RPGWatch Team

April 16th, 2014, 09:46
Or maybe I'm getting old… too much whining reminds me of the work!
My overriding memory of Carth is the whining, so that could be it.

I'm in a bit of a gaming grey area at the moment. I keep dipping in and out of various games, but nothing's really grabbing me. I might dig out NWN for another try myself if I can't find anything soon. It's always fun running odd builds through HotU.

Menigal

Keeper of the Watch

April 16th, 2014, 10:31
I'll second The Aielund Saga.

Some really memorable companions come with it.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2014, 12:13
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I am assuming he is talking about his current hatred of DLC that he rants about every time a new game is released or any number of DLC-laden games comes up …
Yup. I'm disgusted with the trend of charging enormous cash for something that is not a classic expansion. Sometimes you have to pay for a bullshit content more than the game itself (check Sims as an example, some stuff packs, a few items in fact, tend to cost more than the game - and the plague spread to RPGs too).

Still on a game that didn't go that way - Risen.
Unlike before when I played it properly, now I'm enjoying script exploits a lot. I remembered some NPCs are not killable while story critical so I lure tough mobs to them. I know I'll be able to kill those myself later, but still… Since Risen is no-endless-respawns gem, one mapspot less to clear lategame.
And I can't explain how good it feels waling through those woods in Risen where you removed all hostiles and now are seeing just a peaceful nature with butterflies and whatnot. I dare to say it's more beautiful than heavily modded Skyrim.

Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; April 16th, 2014 at 12:28.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 16th, 2014, 18:22
Totally agree with Joxer on the look of Risen vs games like, and including, Skyrim. I find it comparable to how TV shows look in the US vs shows in Europe and other places, the shows in the US tend to look glossy and shiny and fake as hell, while the Euro shows look more real and gritty. There are notable exceptions, shows like the Wire didn't look all glossy, but for the most part, I find this to be true. Same with games, the glossy shiny look simply annoys me most of the time.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

April 28th, 2014, 02:19
So…. sidetracked again. Started playing Dragon Age: Origins over the weekend. This post of full of spoilers so I will add them rest of comments in spoiler tag.

Spoiler

Either way…. I really wish I can finish this game again this time! It's been a while since I last played this game, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than my last few attempts in past years.

(Also still playing BG:EE, NWN mods, D3: FoS, and GW2. I've finally cancelled my WoW subscription!)

BG2 fan girl

purpleblob

Princess

April 28th, 2014, 21:29
I'm also replaying DA:O… All DLC in… But UNMODDED!
This will be slow though as I'm busy with other stuff.

Did they change Alistair in some patch? I don't remember him being so whiny the last time I played this. Either I'm not seeing things right or maybe I just forgot about it.

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 28th, 2014, 22:56
Always has been a whiny brat. Those are rose-colored bottles you're looking through.

Thrasher

Wheeee!
RPGWatch Donor

April 29th, 2014, 01:13
I don't want to have sex with people in RPGs… is there something wrong with me?

Didn't really like Alistair or Morrigan or… well, most of them really, I would have been happy with just the Dwarf cliche and the Healer lady as my only companions the whole trip, but oh well, gotta do all those extra sideys!

MinorityReport

Banned

April 29th, 2014, 01:25
Originally Posted by MinorityReport View Post
I don't want to have sex with people in RPGs… is there something wrong with me?
No. But hey, you're missing content that way!

I replayed TW1 with the sole purpose of making sure I've collected all possible cards!
Can't remember all the benefits in FO1/2 any more, but there are at least a few cosmetics perks if nothing. And speaking of FO2, you won't be asked if you want to have sex or not if you lose "a game" in NCR.
You'll definetly miss 100 XP if you don't do it once in the brothel in Risen.

But having sex with a plastic doll Hollywood(TM) named Ashley in ME3? No. I don't want even to touch that overbotoxed monster no matter how many skills, perks, attribs, chances to win it gives! Yukk! Why did she take that surgery, whyyyyy!

Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor

April 29th, 2014, 01:50
@joxer: Alistair is always whiny…. and weak. That's why you need to "harden" him to make him less sissy.

@MinorityReport: You know, you have a choice not to have romantic relationship with your companions, right? At least I didn't find it that bad in DA:O, unlike Anders from DA2… (creepy). I think Leliana can kind of ninja romance you if you aren't careful though, but you can always tell her early you aren't interested.

To be honest, I didn't really see much of content difference (at least for Alistair) whether you romance him or not. I don't know about Zevran - he creeps me out, so I never tried. Leliana is even more no-no…. (at least for me).

Anyway, I'm at Circle at the moment and I just found out Ser Gilmore mod isn't compatible with Skip the Fade if you take him to the Fade…. NO!!! So I had to uninstall the Skip the Fade mod and have to go through the whole crap again =.= I realised it by the time you can't swap out the party members so that's the only option I have left =.= yay!

BG2 fan girl

purpleblob

Princess

April 30th, 2014, 19:08
I just finished playing Lord of the Rings : war of the ring.. still thinking what to play next, any suggestions?

weepingsickness

Traveler

April 30th, 2014, 19:54
Playing Child of Light; pretty entertaining combat and beautiful artwork. The rhyming does get a bit old though.

jhwisner

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?