|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » Gothic 1/2 » First time playing Gothic

Default First time playing Gothic

June 11th, 2014, 17:19
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
But since LMB used to be lock target how are sideattacks executed without the ability to lock?
Which side attacks?

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

June 11th, 2014, 22:20
But since LMB used to be lock target how are sideattacks executed without the ability to lock?
Eh? LMB didn't do that for me. Maybe the NA version was different?

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2014, 14:10
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
Which side attacks?
So you're saying left/right attacks and combos including them (like those taught in G1) are not worth the hassle in G2?
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Eh? LMB didn't do that for me. Maybe the NA version was different?
I'm talking about how G1 did things. LMB triggered an "action mode" and WASD dictated and performed the action. In combat WASD performed the attacks, in trading the direction you wanted your item to go etc in lockpicking, ladder climbing and so on.

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

June 12th, 2014, 14:43
So you're saying left/right attacks and combos including them (like those taught in G1) are not worth the hassle in G2?
We're talking about the "new" combat controls, not the classic mode. Both could be toggled in the .ini.

I don't remember it precisely though. I think the forward attack was mapped to the LMB and there was a manual target lock button somewhere.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

June 12th, 2014, 15:39

I'm talking about how G1 did things. LMB triggered an "action mode" and WASD dictated and performed the action. In combat WASD performed the attacks, in trading the direction you wanted your item to go etc in lockpicking, ladder climbing and so on.
I didn't know that LMB triggered an action mode. I thought you had to use CTRL + WASD to perform your actions. I played the whole game with CTRL mapped to one of my mouse buttons but never once used the LMB in combat.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

June 12th, 2014, 20:12
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
We're talking about the "new" combat controls, not the classic mode. Both could be toggled in the .ini.

I don't remember it precisely though. I think the forward attack was mapped to the LMB and there was a manual target lock button somewhere.
So the "new" combat didn't feature left/right attacks?

Originally Posted by Fluent View Post
I didn't know that LMB triggered an action mode. I thought you had to use CTRL + WASD to perform your actions. I played the whole game with CTRL mapped to one of my mouse buttons but never once used the LMB in combat.
Hmmm, obviously I could be wrong on this but I wouldn't be surprised if they both performed the same function. So are you saying that all you used the mouse for was camera movement + walking direction?

I'd just like to interject here and point out that I'm not going to say anything to spoil the mood, Chief. I'll just float here and watch. Don't mind me, just sitting here, floating and watching, that's me.

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

June 12th, 2014, 20:27
Hmmm, obviously I could be wrong on this but I wouldn't be surprised if they both performed the same function. So are you saying that all you used the mouse for was camera movement + walking direction?
Yeah, basically. I had a primary button on my gaming mouse mapped to CTRL and I used that button + WASD to perform actions.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team

June 12th, 2014, 22:12
I just checked, and yes.. LMB and Ctrl are the exact same function. I've always just used LMB though.

Yes. What confused me was the phrase "lock target". I was thinking you meant a target lock similar to what's used in a lot of 3rd-person games. Like Dark Souls for example where you press the right analog stick (or keyboard equivalent) to lock on to one enemy until it's defeated or you unlock from it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

June 13th, 2014, 10:40
Meh, just ignore the new setup and use the one from Gothic 1. Combat is almost identical, but smoother. There's really no need to make adjustments once you're used to the combat in Gothic.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

Default First time playing Gothic

June 13th, 2014, 20:28
That's one way to answer my question I guess
I remember that I could keep G2's control scheme and map the side attacks to some other keys, but that felt pretty unintuitive since those keys couldn't be AD so it was either the arrow keys or the numpad, maybe now I should map them to the mouse's side buttons?

So basically no one used left/right attacks with G2s controls? Gorath? JDR?

Kostas

Dormant Watcher

June 13th, 2014, 20:57
I never used the default controls in G2. I always go with the classic G1 controls.

JDR13

SasqWatch

July 12th, 2014, 20:49
The only time I ever used a mouse playing Gothic 1 was to look around lol.

Fluent I've read your entire thread and totally envy your experience. I vividly remember my first play-through. My GAWD I made it tough on myself. At the time I didn't know what a quest was, so I just did the best I could….reload after reload after reload LMAO. One of the FIRST places I went was into the orc area…with a dam weak bow. I found positions where I could fire/kill the orc dogs and orcs without taking damage. Then loot the bodies and sell to get more arrows Looking back at it, it was a h00t!

You can search my posts here. I've played some weird go-throughs. The no reload was by far the hardest….by a LONG way.

Since you have completed G1, go search youtube for TheWonderer and watch some of the amazing stuff that can be done in the game.(Don't watch his other vids until you do a play-through first. It will spoil your game)

JDR13, I know your Chromanin comment was rightfully aimed at me and Wulf

Chris: Dad, what's the blow-hole for?

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.

Uriziel

Watchdog

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » Gothic 1/2 » First time playing Gothic