Game overload

D

DArtagnan

Back in the day, when I was a kid - I used to wait for what seemed like an eternity between games. Forget about good games, just new games.

I pirated everything - but it was always a bit of a job getting new connections, and you always had to work at getting your hands on new games.

So, when you finally got your hands on something and it was actually good (and it worked as it should, being a pirated copy and all) - I was in heaven. No second thoughts about playing it instead of something else, because there was nothing else.

More so, I had all the time in the world - and I could spend my every waking moment playing games. Well, when I wasn't at school, obviously.

I used to dream about having access to all those wonderful games I read about in magazines. I imagined it had to be absolute divinity being able to play a great game whenever you wanted to. But I always had to wait months or even years to get my hands on something I saw in a preview.

Now, that has all changed. My dream came true - and then some.

Literally every single day, I either hear about a game I would have killed to play as a kid - or there's one coming out that I already knew about. In the past, I would know about every single interesting game that had been announced. I literally knew them all and I knew everything there was to know about them before release.

Now, I struggle to keep up with just the titles of games - and I don't even know about half of the potentially interesting ones coming out.

Obviously, I'm a lot more jaded today, so what I would have killed for as a kid, is something I might spend 20 minutes testing today - and then forget about.

Still, I think it's fair to say that every single month has at least a couple of games that I would actually REALLY want to play - ALL the way through.

But, as we all know - we don't have the time we used to have, as adults. I'm lucky if I have a few full days available to gaming each month, and that would be fine - if not for this overload problem.

You see, that's the key of my issue here. I simply… can't…. choose… what to play. When I do manage to pick something, I struggle like a madman to stay focused and avoid distraction. It's hard as hell.

Even worse, most of the games I prefer are LONG games - and I can't finish them even with a full weekend available. That's when my mind tends to lose focus, and I can't get back to them with the same fervor.

Right now, there are games like D:OS, WL2, Dragonfall DC, Endless Legends, Age of Wonders 3 DLC, ESO, and COUNTLESS more.

How the hell does one manage to focus on a single title and not lose track when your free time runs out?

How do YOU do it? Are you just really good at staying focused - and are you finding it easy to get back to a game once you leave it for a week or so? How do you ignore all the greatness coming out as you're playing that one game?

I don't handle it as I'm like a magic jumping bean bouncing from one game to another. Though I will force myself to finish a game about half the time nowadays.

As for finding it easy to get back to a game that depends on how far I've progressed. Sometimes I will restart the RPG games as I have no clue.

Two recent examples are Divinity: Original Sin and Wastelands 2. I can't finish these long 50-80 hr games anymore. I slowly lose interest, and something new is released.

Fun Fact:
I have restarted Original Sin over eight times already.

The best time to play games is the weekends as I have unlimited time then, and no obligations. It helps to be single, and have no young kids anymore.:lonely:

Last edited:
I don't handle it as I'm like a magic jumping bean bouncing from one game to another. Though I will force myself to finish a game about half the time nowadays.

My favorite time to play games is the weekends as I have unlimited time, and no obligations then. It helps to be single, and have no young kids anymore.:lonely:

Sounds like me ;) Apart from the kids thing.

Of course, being single - I spend too much time not being happy about being single, instead of just enjoying the free time with great games.

Not smart!

I usually have primary(strategy, crpg and something other time consuing) and secondary(usualy adventures, action games, platformers and puzzlers) game which I usually play in 80/20 ratio rest goes to backlog.

I usually have primary(strategy, crpg and something other time consuing) and secondary(usualy adventures, action games, platformers and puzzlers) game which I usually play in 80/20 ratio rest goes to backlog.

So, do you set aside a specific amount of time for primary games and secondary games?

Do you keep to that schedule? Because that sounds like the kind of discipline I couldn't have when it comes to entertainment.

So, do you set aside a specific amount of time for primary games and secondary games?

Do you keep to that schedule? Because that sounds like the kind of discipline I couldn't have when it comes to entertainment.

I don't make schedule but when but when I look at my game time it's something I have tendency to do.But that changes depending on mood.Sometimes I play 4 game at time, sometimes just 1 one game day and night(it was case with D:OS).

I don't make schedule but when but when I look at my game time it's something I have tendency to do.But that changes depending on mood.Sometimes I play 4 game at time, sometimes just 1 one game day and night(it was case with D:OS).

Yeah, I guess I'm sort of the same way. If something really gets my attention, I can focus on it. I did that with Risen 3 - which I played for 30 hours without distraction, but since I couldn't finish it in 30 hours, I lost focus during the week I was away from it. So, I ended up rushing through the last island and the ending.

Maybe I should just accept that I can only really delve into gaming when I have a vacation.

I have the same problem, which means I'll not finish a game, unless it is really really really good! Otherwise I'll just start something new, and there are very few games that keep me interested all they way through. The last game I finished was a year ago and that was TW2.

Right now I am playing a really old classic which I somehow missed all those years... and it is really great so I think it'll be the next game I finish. Deus Ex, just wow what a game, so old but still so much greater than most new games.

I have the same problem, which means I'll not finish a game, unless it is really really really good! Otherwise I'll just start something new, and there are very few games that keep me interested all they way through. The last game I finished was a year ago and that was TW2.

Right now I am playing a really old classic which I somehow missed all those years… and it is really great so I think it'll be the next game I finish. Deus Ex, just wow what a game, so old but still so much greater than most new games.

You didn't play DE before?!?!?!? ;)

Have you played DE:HR?

I'm playing way less games than I used to back in the day. And I'm much more unforgiving when a game bores me. Now I think that a developer should cut all bad and almost all mediocre content. If this leaves only a 25 hours RPG or a 10 hour shooter, than so be it.

I've got a rigid gaming schedule now in order to keep up. I actually need to administer my gaming, how crazy is that? There are so many games to play. The drought is definitely well and truly over.

Beyond that, it also leads to me being more picky. I no longer try out something that simply might seem fun. I used to do that a lot, which is how I discovered the original Gothic for example - I found it in a CD/movie/game store (remember those?) and just bought it based on the description and screen shots on the cover. I think I also discovered Baldur's Gate in that way.

These days I only play games I am fairly certain I will greatly enjoy. I don't need to take a gamble anymore, which is actually a bit of a shame as it makes it harder to find hidden gems. Then again, I read so much about games on the internet now that I'm bound to come across most games worthy of my attention.

I'm playing way less games than I used to back in the day. And I'm much more unforgiving when a game bores me. Now I think that a developer should cut all bad and almost all mediocre content. If this leaves only a 25 hours RPG or a 10 hour shooter, than so be it.

Well, it can be hard to quantify what "bad or mediocre content" means. Personally, I enjoy a certain amount of "buffer content" - as in, I love optional stuff that's not necessarily super well done - just to have fun with my character or extend my time with the game. I also think a certain amount of "grinding" or "padding" is needed for games of a certain scope, simply because you can't achieve significant scope without it. It's too much work to create "real" content for hundreds of hours of content, for instance.

I think the key is to make the underlying systems compelling - and to ensure that progress throughout is varied and interesting. If you have that, along with a strong narrative or interesting characters - you can leave it up to the player when he/she no longer feels like staying in that world.

But, it's definitely not a good idea to FORCE mediocre or trivial content upon the player for long periods of time.

I've got a rigid gaming schedule now in order to keep up. I actually need to administer my gaming, how crazy is that? There are so many games to play. The drought is definitely well and truly over.

Sounds interesting. Can you tell me a bit about how you organize your time? Because that's probably what I'd need to do.

You didn't play DE before?!?!?!? ;)

Have you played DE:HR?

No I picked up all the Deus Ex:es in humble bundle, so I thought I'd start with the first one, and I am really liking it plan is to continue with the other two after that.

I was really up for a surprise I didn't expect such an old game to be so…. great :)

With some mods it even looks acceptable!

No I picked up all the Deus Ex:es in humble bundle, so I thought I'd start with the first one, and I am really liking it plan is to continue with the other two after that.

I was really up for a surprise I didn't expect such an old game to be so…. great :)

With some mods it even looks acceptable!

DE is pure bliss ;)

I envy you in that you get to experience it for the first time.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts about all three games once you're done.

You've probably heard that DE:IW is terrible, and in some ways it definitely is, but it does have a few things going for it. I recommend trying to stick with it ;)

I played Human Revolution a couple of weeks ago. Great game, just a bit too long.

Sounds interesting. Can you tell me a bit about how you organize your time? Because that's probably what I'd need to do.
I literally plan months ahead, focusing 100% on each game until completion, taking into consideration expected time per game and anything else I have to do in the same time period.

For example, my current schedule looks like this:
26-30th of September, KotOR1
1-12th of October, KotOR2
-- Potential gap--
20th of October-2nd of November, Dragon Age: Origins
3-12th of November, Dragon Age 2
13-20th of November, Warlords of Draenor
21st of November-7th of December, Dragon Age: Inquisition
-- Potential gap--

I put potential gaps in from time to time because certain estimates might be off. I tend to fill them with a little MMO gaming if need be. Also, I take some time off from work during the biggest releases, such as Risen 3 and DA: I, which is why I expect to be done with DA: I by December 7th, despite my intention to complete it several times.

It generally works, but it's probably because I'm too systematic. Everything I do is completely predictable.

Dart, we're not really interested in what you did last year as per your original post; what are you playing now??!! :p :)

WOW, detailed planning on how to complete each game... you're a true professional Maylander....

I literally plan months ahead, focusing 100% on each game until completion, taking into consideration expected time per game and anything else I have to do in the same time period.

For example, my current schedule looks like this:
26-30th of September, KotOR1
1-12th of October, KotOR2
— Potential gap—
20th of October-2nd of November, Dragon Age: Origins
3-12th of November, Dragon Age 2
13-20th of November, Warlords of Draenor
21st of November-7th of December, Dragon Age: Inquisition
— Potential gap—

I put potential gaps in from time to time because certain estimates might be off. I tend to fill them with a little MMO gaming if need be. Also, I take some time off from work during the biggest releases, such as Risen 3 and DA: I, which is why I expect to be done with DA: I by December 7th, despite my intention to complete it several times.

It generally works, but it's probably because I'm too systematic. Everything I do is completely predictable.

Wow, amazing discipline there :)

I'm assuming some of the larger "spaces" is because you don't have as much free time and you need more days?

For instance, 12 days for KotOR 2 sounds like too much time.

But it's interesting, really.

I wonder if I could make something like that work for me.

Thanks for sharing :)

Back
Top Bottom