|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3 - Review @ Game Industry News

Default Gothic 3 - Review @ Game Industry News

December 19th, 2006, 21:19
Originally Posted by Danicek View Post
Honestly this discussions are getting bit too tedious in my opinion. All was said and repeated several times. I'm making New year's resolution to not read any discussion below Gothic review on this site until Gothic 4… .
Sounds good, Danicek. I'll leave it alone too. If a topic post contains the word Gothic, I'll just bypass it. Of course, without Gothic posts rpgwatch has no forum traffic

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

December 19th, 2006, 21:24
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Sounds good, Danicek. I'll leave it alone too. If a topic post contains the word Gothic, I'll just bypass it. Of course, without Gothic posts rpgwatch has no forum traffic
There is always room for fair debate, so long as people realize that these are *opinions* we all have and that engaging in hyperbole (like in your last post, and plenty of them regarding Oblivion) is never the means to a productive discussion.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 19th, 2006, 22:41
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Ah, this site almost needs to be renamed GothicWatch. All Gothic posts get mucho attention. […]

In any other comparison it fails dismally. Graphics, number of locales, exploration, spells, choice of skills, customization of character, loot, NPC interaction, etc. […]

It almost seems like some folks want to say, "Hey I'm geeky enough to beat G3, even with its bugs and harsh combat. Aint I the greatest?" The answer, of course, is no. Most people wonder why you bothered. Oblivion has modability going for it as well. Ob has its faults but with 1000s of programmers vs. a handful, Ob gets to flower into the perfect game for almost any taste. Just pick mods that will make Ob into what you want.
I really shouldn't encourage turning this thread into an O vs G3 thread but I just wanted to respond on a couple of items.

Yes, we have a lot a Gothic fans. RPGDot was the largest English-speaking Gothic site on the 'net and it's natural we bought quite a few of them with us to RPGWatch. Sorry. It's just the way it is.

On the second part…no, it doesn't fail dismally on all of those. A couple are definitely to O's advantage, such as customisation. On the other hand…exploration? Not a chance in hell. I find absolutely no point in exploring Oblivion. All I will find is the same levelled enemies in a myriad of cloned dungeons. Or I could explore the same-y height-mapped overland with it's identical-except-for-the-flowers-colour grasslands. There are no real mountains or crevasses, no significant points of interest. Sure, I'll find shrines with the same acolytes worshipping (robe colour aside) but not much else.

On the other hand, what about different ways to complete quests? What about actually changing the gameworld? Interesting NPCs? Are there mods that actually introduce choices into that dreadful main plot?

Anyway…my point is not to argue — you like Oblivion and I like Gothic and that's cool. But it isn't because it's a badge of honour - it's because we have a very different view of what we want out of things like exploring.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2006, 03:40
20mithrandir
" I never mentioned any Elder Scrolls game at all."
Apologies, I actually thought you were the reviewer.

BillSeurer
"Wow, the Gothic fanboyz are out in force."
I referenced the word "fans" so many times, since the reviewer (I mistaking took as 20mithrandir) kept using the word and saying he was a fan, yet making statements/accusations no fan would make knowing the situation.
Now most gamers may not have an idea what happened and perceive it as PB's fault but a reviewer (falsely?) claiming knowledge and being completely wrong in premise is not excusable, since he portends himself as a professional and there's a difference.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2006, 03:51
I agree Danicek! That's why I decided to entertain myself with a little story on my last post, it was quite enjoyable to picture in my head! I'm through debating a topic that is unresolvable. I mean, c'mon, we've reached a point where someone actually compared Gothic to a candy store for crying out loud!

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 3 - Review @ Game Industry News