|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Falling For Fallout: A (Post-Nuclear RPG) Retrospective

Default Falling For Fallout: A (Post-Nuclear RPG) Retrospective

December 7th, 2006, 23:08
sigh… and then EA opened up its bowels and commenced spewing endless rivers of vomit onto the scene, and lo and behold, it was downhill from there

i think my fondest memories are still from Knights Of Legend from long dead Origin. What I wouldn't give for a modern remake of that

araczynski

Watcher

December 8th, 2006, 02:06
I love it when an article produces debate and discussion, especially when it's of a high level!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

December 10th, 2006, 01:52
I find it odd that people who love first Fallout didn't enjoy the sequel so much. I loved it, and played it lot longer than the first game… I think both FI and II are fantastic

Horst Wessel

Watcher

December 10th, 2006, 03:40
The sequel is good but I did enjoy the original more. The first was more….concise. The opening was better (I thought the Temple was pretty lame), the game blew me away, the ending was fabulous (perhaps my favourite ever).

The second introduced some welcome interface improvements but I felt it dragged a bit in places and the story didn't grab me as much. The whole thing wasn't quite as poignant. Plus (and this isn't the game's fault) — I'd already experienced the art and setting, so it loses a bit of its "wow" factor. Then there's the excessive pop-culture references…you get the idea.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 10th, 2006, 03:57
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
The sequel is good but I did enjoy the original more. The first was more….concise. The opening was better (I thought the Temple was pretty lame), the game blew me away, the ending was fabulous (perhaps my favourite ever).

The second introduced some welcome interface improvements but I felt it dragged a bit in places and the story didn't grab me as much. The whole thing wasn't quite as poignant. Plus (and this isn't the game's fault) — I'd already experienced the art and setting, so it loses a bit of its "wow" factor. Then there's the excessive pop-culture references…you get the idea.
I couldn't have said it better. The 2nd Fallout also had quite a few bugs.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 10th, 2006, 06:26
Yep. Dhruin has encapsulated my feelings precisely too!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

December 10th, 2006, 12:47
Originally Posted by Horst Wessel View Post
I find it odd that people who love first Fallout didn't enjoy the sequel so much. I loved it, and played it lot longer than the first game… I think both FI and II are fantastic
And now I'd like to read to you a little poem I wrote the other day. I call it "Fallout 2 in All-Caps".

*ahem*

DISCRIMINATING AGAINST TRIBALS ISN'T NICE

GHOULS ARE PEOPLE TOO

SUPERMUTANTS AND NORMALS, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

EVEN SQUATTERS HAVE TO LIVE SOMEWHERE

"IRRADIATED HUMANS MUST BE EXTERMINATED, SIEG HEIL AND PRAISE JESUS" - NOT SO FAST, HITLER!

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

DA DA DA-DA-DA

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

DA DA DA-DA-DA

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

LOVE

LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED

Thank you.

abbaon

Daft as a daisy

December 10th, 2006, 17:11
To be honest, I quite dislike it. First, the form: I don't see why every paragraph needs to have a tittle, and I feel this takes away from the article - it appears too "bunched up". And secondly, the actual content: I don't see an actual point anywhere - loads of stuff are mentioned passingly, but, for example, gameplay is missed completely. On the other hand, there's a full paragraph on the SPECIAL system, which is not of big importance in the bigger picture. In total, the whole article seems a bit… weak.

Of course, maybe we simply don't agree on what a retrospective article is, so please, do not take offense.

VPeric

Sentinel

Default Off Topic Question To Dave

January 16th, 2007, 16:48
I saw your name and was wondering if you are related to me. My name is Robert Bonnewell. I know our name is not very common so I thought I'd ask.
Do you have any relative in Arizona that you know of? If you'd like to e-mail me you can at smrpb@hotmail.com.
Anyway, I enjoyed reading your thread. I never played Fallout but it did remind me of a Pen and Paper game I often played called Gamma World.
Im a big time gamer too and have been playing for about 10 years.

Hoping to hear from you - Robert

Serpent

Traveler

January 17th, 2007, 00:22
Serpent, in case he misses your post, why not send him a PM as well!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Falling For Fallout: A (Post-Nuclear RPG) Retrospective