|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » The Elder Scrolls I - IV » The Let's Rant and Rave About Oblivion Thread

Default The Let's Rant and Rave About Oblivion Thread

January 19th, 2007, 02:41
But look on the bright side, they're also making Fallout 3!! Just think of the forum fun we'll have then!! lol

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

January 19th, 2007, 03:36
I bought Oblivion last year, played about 20-30 hours then stopped from boredom. Today I finished Gothic 3. Now im planning to finish Oblivion. My opinions of the games are that Oblivion is a more well-done (and optimised) game. I think I found oblivion better than Gothic 3, even though I was disapointed with it. Gothic 3 just didnt have that "Zaz" to it like its oredecesors. Offcourse I still think Bethesda could learn a great deal from PB, and vice versa.

nameless hero

Watchdog

January 19th, 2007, 04:27
I bet G3 would have been a different game if there were not Oblivion or $$ that it brought in. And I was hoping the influence would took place in the opposite direction. Oblivion, I have it since the first day…I just have too many other games to do…

mudsling3

Sentinel

January 19th, 2007, 10:33
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
I played & finished

Arena
Daggerfall
Battlespire
Redguard
Morrowind
Oblivion

My TES favourites are still
Daggerfall, Battlespire and Redguard
Same p&f-list here; we two must be the only people in the world who played and liked both Battlespire and Redguard .

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 19th, 2007, 10:48
I should have mentioned that TES games fulfilled a different kind of RPG need for me compared to say Gothic. Gothic (except for number 3) has always been about great NPCs and a believable world, while TES was replayability through quantity. Depending on my mood I enjoy both concepts but spent more time with TES due to the nonlinearity.

I should add that my biggest gripe isnt that Oblivion spoiled a franchise I liked. That has happened before and will happen again. What I dislike is that it due to massive marketing, console domination, and relatively polished state upon release (in this case that for once is a negative) will be the golden standard of RPGs for the next 3-4 years. And given that it is a step away from the kind of RPG I enjoy that is very very problematic…

Zaleukos

Bum

January 20th, 2007, 20:58
My experiences with Oblivion are, primarily, derived from the following:
Played and finished Daggerfall, but skipped Redguard(looked more like an adventure game), and Battlespire(sounded like a Hack'n'Slash).

Later I picked up Morrowind GOTY edition, and played it alot, but never finished it. I missed random dungeons v. the small handcrafted ones of Morrowind. Missed some of the skills, like climbing, etc. The variety of quest, factions, and main quest was nice.

Gothic 2. Nice game. Good use of voice acting without overly limiting dialog. Horrid UI(inventory management hell). i.e. I enjoyed it, but no where as much as morrowind.

Didn't read much about Oblivion, but I had hoped that in the best case they would have moved more back towards Daggerfall style or in the worst case leave the Morrowind style unchanged, but using a newer engine. I was disappointed with the further dumbing down of the game by further reduction of skills, action based combat(and not very well done), poor application of some of the side technologies purchased(facegen, havok, the soil erosion thingy, etc.), quest GPS, trivial dialog, even fewer voice actors than MW, under populated capital and province of a continent spanning empire, changes to the magic system(dumbing down), obvious unchanged console oriented UI, poor quality of most of the quests(Dark Brotherhood ones were the best), lack of options in completing quests, lack of consequences(good or bad in completing quests), the mini games, loot & creature levelling, still using interior cells for building AND now cities, horse with no armor or ability to fight while mounted, nickling and diming for crappy little modules, NPCs that act no better than simple scripted ones(so much for "Radiant" A"I"), etc. So, in the end, I'd give Oblivious a 2/10 as an RPG, or a 7-8/10 as an action game, but since it was pawned off as an RPG it gets a 2/10. Quit after 15h, while looking over a house that I wanted my char to burgle, got to thinking about how nice it would've been to be able to fly/levitate or climb to that second story window and make an entrance coupled with yet another rock stupid NPC babbling about mudcrabs. It just drove home what a lousy implementation that Oblivion turned out to be, so I quit. (Plan to try it again some day with all sorts of mods…)

I have since played Gothic 3, and found that while it was released to early, that it was a MUCH better RPG than Oblivion. Combat impllementation was almost as bad as Oblivions. I was also VERY happy to find that PB had discovered the wonders of mouse pointer based UI. The world of G3 didn't feel like an empty disneyland. So, as a comparison I'd have to give it a 7-8/10 as an RPG.

I've also played NWN2. Overhyped, under deliverance on graphics unless you always zoom in max. Mostly linear. Lousy camera. Lousy NPC AI. Still, it's a better RPG overall than Oblivious. 7-8/10.

Played NWN1 too, but I still haven't been able to force myself to get past the halfway point ATM, after which I should have the purportedly better SoU and HotU plus Kingmaker series. Lousy NPC AI. No rating on this one ATM.

Played every IE based game. Found them to be dull and never was able to force myself to finish them. Lousy pathinding and NPC AI.

Bored with KotOR. *yawn*

Loved some of the old SSI AD&D gold box games, Darklands, Fallout 1 & 2, M&M through VII, Wizardry 1-8(I loved 8), Wizard and Warriors(overhyped, but I had some fun with it), surprisingly the action RPG Divine Divinity(didn't expect much, and it turned out to be pretty good).

Basically also cannot stand(very much of) Nox, Diablo 1 & 2, Titan Quest, Sacred, etc. i.e. pretty much every action RPG, but DO have fun with most roguelikes excepting nethack which I don't care for.

Can't stand the inevitable extended grind portion of MMO"RPG"s. I did have fun with Minions of Mirth when you could have parties of chars on the official servers, but now I mostly play with a party in a single player game.

[EDIT]
Actually the most fun that I expect to have with Oblivion is when the PS3 version gets released, and then watching all the little XBOX360 and PS3 fanbois flame the crap out of each other. Should be good entertainment for one and all.

Fallout 3: I'll be waiting for that to hit the bargain bins, even IF someone who had similar experiences with Oblivious detailed here, recommends it.
[/EDIT]

cutterjohn

Sentinel

January 22nd, 2007, 20:28
The TES games have had a huge problem with balance ever since Daggerfall. IMO, Bethseda tried and failed to correct that with Oblivion. There's a lot to like about Oblivion, but it just isn't one of those games you love.

I was unable to complete Oblivion (or Morrowind for that matter), because I got bored. I tried a ton of mods, too. That helped, but not enough, apparently.

TES needs to do two things, IMO. First, they need to raise their standards for quality control. Their products are just too buggy. Second, they need to remake Daggerfall (It was clearly the best TES game, despite it's flaws).

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

January 22nd, 2007, 21:13
Wouldnt it be easier to rename http://rpgwatch.com to http://www.bitchaboutbethesdadaily.com?

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

January 23rd, 2007, 00:27
Iirc, in the movie link given about the sivering isles, one of the devs said (something like) "we're using different actors for each NPC since they are so distint, but in oblifion we didn't need to use diffent voices since so many NPCs said the same thing."
Lol, the devs don't even get it.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

January 23rd, 2007, 01:26
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
Wouldnt it be easier to rename http://rpgwatch.com to http://www.bitchaboutbethesdadaily.com?
No, instead I started this thread!! What's your problem!!??!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

January 23rd, 2007, 03:30
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
No, instead I started this thread!! What's your problem!!??!!
Exactly - if you have noticed, there has been a funneling effect of complaints here … it is working. Expressing concern of Bethesda handling Fallout is not attributable to Oblivion bashing, as any reasonable fan of both games would definitely have concerns…

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 23rd, 2007, 03:42
My problem??? Well I used to be able to run 8 miles a day and now 35 minutes on an eliptical makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. I can't drink more than 4 beers without feeling like shit the next day and I used to be able to kick back a solid dozen.

On the upside - I stopped this thread dead in its tracks for hours - leaving you all wallowing in guilt for your shamless bashing of Bethesda.

Now I've had my fun and you may resume your tirade!!!!! LOL

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

January 23rd, 2007, 07:15
Yep, as I suspected, it's advanced old age and senility!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

January 24th, 2007, 01:52
TES 4 Life!

That's all, carry on.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

January 24th, 2007, 06:31
Ohhh yes, Sammy.
…remember how our MW characters Iron Maiden and Gunther dated…? Teehee.

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 24th, 2007, 09:04
There I was worried about her messing around in Dwemer ruins, little did I know that would soon be the least of my worries… ='.'=

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

January 24th, 2007, 22:20
…and you're right to be worried. He suffered from porphyric hemophilia at the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg date.jpg (58.4 KB, 35 views)

Semper HiFi!

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

January 25th, 2007, 01:27
Ah Morrowind… the magic.. the mystery.. the romance??? err…

"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2007, 04:08
Having just finished Knights of the Nine, let me quickly say that they didn't use that opportunity to fix any of the fundamental issues of the game.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 25th, 2007, 07:15
An impressive constitution you have txa1265, congrats.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » The Elder Scrolls » The Elder Scrolls I - IV » The Let's Rant and Rave About Oblivion Thread