Two Worlds - Update Interview @ RPG Vault

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPG Vault has an update interview on Two Worlds, although it was clearly written before the recent announcements of an MMO mode and a May 9th release date. The article focuses on peripheral issues such as gamers' perception of Two Worlds and the team's enthusiasm:
Jonric: What kinds of gamers are most likely to find Two Worlds appealing, and what do you regard as the key factors that will determine how well it sells?

James Seaman:
We tried to make the game as appealing to everyone as possible - new gamers, hardcore fans of RPGs and the casual gamer alike. We've included online play so that up to eight players (PC and Xbox 360 alike) can team up and quest together. You'll also be able to fight while riding on horseback, although it does take some practice to get it right.

As far as the game selling, I think it really sells itself. The action / RPG genre was really blown open by Oblivion, and we're trying to make something that'll bring the fans of the genre a step above and beyond what people have already experienced. I think the game will really take off once word gets out about the gameplay and the features we're including. The unparalleled ability to customize your character and the countless options in development of skills and abilities really make Two Worlds stand out in a crowd. And did I mention it's gorgeous to look at too?
More information.

"There's nothing saying you can't work for more than one faction in the course of the story,"

It's really odd the way he talks and way the game has developed, in the sense they seem to be taking elements of other games strong points, which isn't new and different but they seem to be doing it to games release even withing the last couple of months or two.

Ok there's the MMOG mode (Guild Wars), Open World (Gothic and oblivion), Skill Changers (SilverFall), Character Customization (oblivion) and now Working for all Sides (Gothic).

I am sure I have missed some of the features in Two Worlds, normally those would be considered impossible to code this fast or at the very least be a stable game and probably be considered hype since at least in this case seems to be a pub PR person, but iirc devs have even been saying many of these things recently.

I wonder if they have figured out oblivions PR stratigy and are blowing wind up our Kilts!
Anyone else feeling a breeze? ;)

"The action / RPG genre was really blown open by Oblivion"

More like closed shut.

there's neither action nor adventure in Oblivion?

Seriously tho, these marketing people need to quit using someone else's success to sell themselves. (and its the success he's stressing not the innovation because, as we know, there's little Oblivion did that wasn't a built off of Morrowind except horse riding).

Dogbert himself tends to spout nonsense and drop the names "Walmart" and "Microsoft" just to make himself sound like a genius consultant to group of pointy haired bosses.

But this is about Two Worlds tho. My curiosity is at least piqued. An Oblivion clone with multiplayer etc. We'll see.

I just hope after all the hype, it's not another DL!! If nothing else, that game has become the new yardstick for measuring overhyped, underachieving games!! :)

It just makes me really angry when they talk about Oblivion like its the best game ever made it was a piece of trash it had nice graphics and music and thats it.

I hope so too Dungeon Lords was awful lol.

While a lot of that is marketing-speak, it's not necessarily bad. Sometimes that marketing speak really means, "After seeing what people liked in Oblivion, we know what to talk up in terms of things that we already in fact had, but weren't seeing as things to brag about." Sometimes that marketing-speak means "Our investors saw that these games were doing well, and we have to convince them that we're doing something a lot like that, so bear with us, folks, as we talk up things that were in there in a slightly different way." Sometimes that marketing-speak means, "Forces far beyond our control demanded that we put this stuff in, so here's what I hope we'll be able to do in the next six weeks."

It's worth listening to because it IS how they're likely trying to sell their game, and knowing how they want to sell the game is almost as valuable (and certainly easier to get data on) as knowing what they actually intended the game to be. (In a perfect world, these two things would always be equal. Alas, we live in this one.)

Also note: Attacking an RPG for not having an original game design is like attacking a romance novel for not having an original plot. You buy a romance novel for steamy love scenes, the comfort and angst of one of a few classic story models, and the character development and interplay of the two leads. You buy an RPG for some ephemeral mix of story, problem solving, monster-whacking, loot acquisition, and tactical resource management. It's always in some way the same thing, but there's always room for another good example of the genre.

Which reminds me of the old story:- A good short story (or RPG) needs 4 elements to be successful. It should have nobility or royalty; there needs to be some sex; religion should be mixed in somewhere; and mystery, or puzzle solving should be in the mix!! This leads to the following masterpiece!!

THE PRINCESS IS PREGNANT, GOOD LORD, WHO DONE IT!! :biggrin:

Which reminds me of the old story:- A good short story (or RPG) needs 4 elements to be successful. It should have nobility or royalty; there needs to be some sex; religion should be mixed in somewhere; and mystery, or puzzle solving should be in the mix!! This leads to the following masterpiece!!

THE PRINCESS IS PREGNANT, GOOD LORD, WHO DONE IT!! :biggrin:

Supposedly it was a wandering bard or priest ;).

And about the game: I have a bad feeling. It seems that they want to achieve too much. It's suspicious for me that there are no ingame cinematics on the web.
Judging from the screenshots they have awfull art designers, they should learn from CD Projects Witcher design (one of the best that i have seen). Ofcourse its' only my oppinion:) .

I sense a lot of negativity towards Two Worlds in the comments of this site, which I don't understand at all. This game could truely be a great game but also the opposite. But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and the last couple of weeks has revealed a lot about this game.
The interview was more positive than negative I would say. The interviewed from Topware said that they had stored a lot of information about the game to be revealed now, which gave comfort, because all the recent information was somehow too good to be true.
The MMO feature is very interesting and could boost the game's sales figures quite a lot. The trouble is, that not that many know of this game, but Reality Pump was aware, that they hadn't done that much PR, so again it revealed a lot.

They do have Moveshots(TM), and The Witcher website has a lot of focus on their art design, so that isn't an argument. Two Worlds probably have the same just not shown to the public. And it isn't the art design which creates a good game. But The Witcher seems great too. But I don't think the two games can be compared, because they are different in many aspects.

Regards Asbjørn

We're not really negative, it's just that we've seen a lot of hyped games before, which did not live up to their hype. We're simply being cautious as we hope the game is all it's being claimed!!

I sense a lot of negativity towards Two Worlds in the comments of this site, which I don't understand at all. This game could truely be a great game but also the opposite. But I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and the last couple of weeks has revealed a lot about this game.
The interview was more positive than negative I would say. The interviewed from Topware said that they had stored a lot of information about the game to be revealed now, which gave comfort, because all the recent information was somehow too good to be true.
The MMO feature is very interesting and could boost the game's sales figures quite a lot. The trouble is, that not that many know of this game, but Reality Pump was aware, that they hadn't done that much PR, so again it revealed a lot.

They do have Moveshots(TM), and The Witcher website has a lot of focus on their art design, so that isn't an argument. Two Worlds probably have the same just not shown to the public. And it isn't the art design which creates a good game. But The Witcher seems great too. But I don't think the two games can be compared, because they are different in many aspects.

Regards Asbjørn

Belive me I would be very happy for this game to become a classic in RPG genre ( I live in Krakow, where the game is created). I try to follow every notice on the web of this game (call this regional patriotism). Their Moveshots does not show much of the game. Why dont they release some trailer? It shouldnt be a problem, should it? They claim that SP is ready, that they are ahead of time, so why dont they show us something from their creation? And yes art design is very important to overall class of the game. How would you feel to see bad qualisty design in games like Fallout? Have you seen a screen with a demon on it? Does it look like a horrifying beast? Truth to be told almost none of the NPC visuals dont spark in my a 'WoW' feeling.

I can only hope that the gameplay will surpass my expectations. And seeing how much attention they pay to the non-hardcore RPG players my doubts rise. You know i havent heard of releasing a Counstruction Set like in Oblivion (which without mods would be much less entertaining). Or maybe it will be anounced in April and release date will be postponed for Q4 of 2007? Who knows...

Belive me I would be very happy for this game to become a classic in RPG genre

Hehe, that's quite unlikely because they emphasize in every single interview that their game is more "action-y" than Oblivion so if it does become a classic then in the fantasy first-person action genre ;) .

Hehe, that's quite unlikely because they emphasize in every single interview that their game is more "action-y" than Oblivion so if it does become a classic then in the fantasy first-person action genre ;) .

And thats why I am feeling puzzeled. Sometimes I think developers want/ed to create "classic". But after reading all those interviews I am coming to conclusion that indeed after "Oblivion" there will be nothing as it was. And that sadeness me.

My fear is that two worlds is trying to archive too much. Thus the game ends up being only medicore. If you read all the pr, you get the image of two worlds having it all. Atleast i'm going to wait the reviews before spending my hard earned credits.. Witcher team on the other hand has been a lot more down to earth with their statements and a whole image of their game feels fresh and orginal. They don't hype it to be like oblivion and that is something which tells something about their self-confidence on their own game.

Asbjoern
"I sense a lot of negativity towards..................I don't understand at all."
I don't know, we all seem to be cautously watching and not sure negitivity is right as we all seem to be saying we hope they can and wish them luck. :)

You do realise this has never been done before, not to mention have yoiu played an RPG recently that hasn't been rushed and/or very buggy?

Then consider they are trying to have seemingly every known feature in this game, afai can tell they haven't ever made an RPG only stratigy with RPG elements, though honestly since I don't play stratigy I can't say what these RPG elements were.

Lastly, I was thinking I was pretty savy about PR and for the most part I am, but credit where credit is due, bethesda was able to trick me. and here they are comparing it to oblivion. ;)

If I had to focus on one specfic area where I let my guard down, it would be the Radiant AI ploy.
They really had me believing it could be better than Gothic's but it turns out they were basicly admiting their lacking quality in this area and trying to achieve the same atmosphere, which is a great testiment to PB.

Plus they have done the same with the constantly repeitive textures and dialogues in this new addon/expansion this time I will wait to see if it's a trick and just like they PR Radiant AI before the release.

I don't believe I was the only one tricked and I will be much more cautous in the future with these guys and anyone claiming the second coming in RPGs. ;)

We're not really negative, it's just that we've seen a lot of hyped games before, which did not live up to their hype. We're simply being cautious as we hope the game is all it's being claimed!!

Well, I'm a youngster, so it's probably because of my lacking experience with hyped games underachieving except Oblivion.
But I will preserve my hope, because Reality Pump seems as a very professional studio and the fact that they have made RTS before gives my some confidence. I saw on their website, that they have a psychologist among their staff, so I find it hopeful.

Belive me I would be very happy for this game to become a classic in RPG genre ( I live in Krakow, where the game is created). I try to follow every notice on the web of this game (call this regional patriotism). Their Moveshots does not show much of the game. Why dont they release some trailer? It shouldnt be a problem, should it? They claim that SP is ready, that they are ahead of time, so why dont they show us something from their creation? And yes art design is very important to overall class of the game. How would you feel to see bad qualisty design in games like Fallout? Have you seen a screen with a demon on it? Does it look like a horrifying beast? Truth to be told almost none of the NPC visuals dont spark in my a 'WoW' feeling.

I can only hope that the gameplay will surpass my expectations. And seeing how much attention they pay to the non-hardcore RPG players my doubts rise. You know i havent heard of releasing a Counstruction Set like in Oblivion (which without mods would be much less entertaining). Or maybe it will be anounced in April and release date will be postponed for Q4 of 2007? Who knows...

A lot of what you say, I can agree with (especially the regional patriotism:) ). But I think that the visuals of "Two Worlds" is quite good and immersing, but we'll just have to wait and see. They have released one video with motion capture on Gametrailers.com, but it's not something special, so I agree with your criticism of the lacking videos.

Asbjoern
"I sense a lot of negativity towards..................I don't understand at all."
I don't know, we all seem to be cautously watching and not sure negitivity is right as we all seem to be saying we hope they can and wish them luck. :)

You do realise this has never been done before, not to mention have yoiu played an RPG recently that hasn't been rushed and/or very buggy?

Then consider they are trying to have seemingly every known feature in this game, afai can tell they haven't ever made an RPG only stratigy with RPG elements, though honestly since I don't play stratigy I can't say what these RPG elements were.

Lastly, I was thinking I was pretty savy about PR and for the most part I am, but credit where credit is due, bethesda was able to trick me. and here they are comparing it to oblivion. ;)

If I had to focus on one specfic area where I let my guard down, it would be the Radiant AI ploy.
They really had me believing it could be better than Gothic's but it turns out they were basicly admiting their lacking quality in this area and trying to achieve the same atmosphere, which is a great testiment to PB.

Plus they have done the same with the constantly repeitive textures and dialogues in this new addon/expansion this time I will wait to see if it's a trick and just like they PR Radiant AI before the release.

I don't believe I was the only one tricked and I will be much more cautous in the future with these guys and anyone claiming the second coming in RPGs. ;)

No, you were not the only one tricked by far. But a lot more thought it was great, so it seems Bethesda will get succesfully away with it. And yes, the expansion packs and addons are just new textures to the same gameplay.

But I'm really "joyful" because of the announed MMORPG feature, even though I've always been a singleplayer person and I don't play MMO's, but it adds something really interesting to the game, but of course again it is dependant on how they creates it.

Regards Asbjørn

Back
Top Bottom