|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Side Quest: 2006 - 2007 Overview, Part 2

Default RPGWatch Side Quest: 2006 - 2007 Overview, Part 2

January 10th, 2007, 17:04
I'm a huge TES fan, (I've played everything but Redguard), and I still look askance at the Fallout 3 license. I'm hoping Bethesda will make the spiritual successor to a great franchise, but I agree that they're not a real logical choice for it. Time will tell I guess. I'm definitely not going to preorder the game
crpgnut is offline

crpgnut

crpgnut's Avatar
Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St. Louis, Mo USA
Posts: 3,411

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 17:19
Thanks for another great article. I hope you're wrong about the indie trend not flourishing thru digital download; but in another way, perhaps there would not be true indie games or developers if it becomes a mainstream thing.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
magerette is offline

magerette

magerette's Avatar
Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,929

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 17:35
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
I'm hoping Bethesda will make the spiritual successor to a great franchise, but I agree that they're not a real logical choice for it.
I tend to agree with the sentiment that there is virtually nothing that they can do that will make the fanbase happy …

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#23

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,271

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 18:18
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
But FO isn't Oblivion and we are fans of FO, not TES. So why should we be happy if it becomes an Oblivion clone? Can't see any improvement in this.
I don't mean to imply that FO should be an OB clone cloaked in a Sci-Fi setting at all. For some reason, I just can't seem to get inot Sci-Fi based RPGs so I never played FO 1 or FO2 to completion… so I would never presume at all what FO 3 should or shouldn't be like.

I just notice a sort of disgust about Oblivion growing on this board. The feeling I get here would be analagous to if any of us were 'cool' enough to be invited to some ritzy holleywood cocktail party… where it would be 'understood' by all that conservative ideals are the devil's work.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,849

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 18:26
Originally Posted by curious View Post
a common sentiment here is actually that many like the game they just don't think it is a good rpg.
You make a point I've read more than a few times on the offical OB boards and a few other sites that discuss OB. I think many agree with you. My problem with that argument is that there is no accepted definition of a RPG that most people accept. Try to achieve concesus in a thread to define what a RPG is… it won't happen. A few developers have tried to do so and probably regret it. The closest thing to a defined RPG is D&D… but even there many people hate D&D rules, and even within the D&D community, there are ongoing grumblings and moanings about the rules and direction of the property as it evolves from one iteration to the next.

So when I read statements like the one you wrote, that OB is a good 'game' but not a good 'RPG' it confuses me because my past experience, reading many many threads where people have tried to come to concensus defining a RPG… which has always lead to flame fests… it just doesn't make much sense… because nobody can agree on what a RPG is in the first place, but miraculously, many people can agree that OB is not a good one… I just don't understand that from a logic standpoint.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#25

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,849

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 18:30
Originally Posted by Sorcha Ravenlock View Post
Why are you so defensive over Oblivion? You have the right to like it, others have the right to not like it.
Of course you are right. But I just notice the 'oblivion bashing' growing on this board and it's irritating me a little so I made the remark.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,849

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 18:33
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I have a great number of criticisms of the game, especially as regards to the hyperbole used in describing it in so many media sources and also with regards to its RPG qualities. I do not find inconsistencies in enjoying a game while simultaneously criticizing it …
The difference between you and the average joe on the net is that you are actually thoughtful and have actually written a professional review of the game on gamerdad.

What I'm talking about is this sort of group-think that start permeatting message boards relating to OB that equates Oblivion with the word 'Bad' and everyone sorta just accepts it. I see that happening on this site. This wasn't the best place to put my remark because I realize this is about Dhurins article, but it started irritating me… please forgive my indescretion.

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,849

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 19:06
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
you are actually thoughtful
As a good friend of mine said …
Originally Posted by Darth Vader
I have you now!

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#28

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,271

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 19:59
Originally Posted by TheMadGamer View Post
My problem with that argument is that there is no accepted definition of a RPG that most people accept. Try to achieve concesus in a thread to define what a RPG is… it won't happen.
Shhhhhhh! Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!! or you'll wake up Roqua. Once he gets started it'll take a stake through the heart or 7 virgin sacrifices to make him go back to his cave

I also really liked Oblivion. However, I also like women and wine but a woman with a body shaped like a wine bottle or a wine tasting like a woman is not exactly what I'm looking for. With a mega hit like Oblivion in their stable I would say that the odds of Bethesda *NOT* using the same engine, or at the very least the same "style", for FO3 are not looking good and I honestly don't think the FallOut "experience" can survive a transformation from a turn based and dialogue driven universe to a real time action driven universe.

I agree with Lady BirdHair that it would be much better if Obsidian would be making FallOut 3 and Bethesda doing the Alien game.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett
fatBastard() is offline

fatBastard()

fatBastard()'s Avatar
Hello, I'm a Zombaholic

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Just outside of Copenhagen
Posts: 777

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 20:19
I'm actually a little bit disappointed about not mentioning Drakensang, but I believe this is due to the fact that this game is scheduled rather for 2008 than for 2007.

About indie games . I have a personal distaste for downloadable games. The reason is simple : If I burn it on CD or DVD, my self-burned legal copies simply don't have the same lasting time than CD-ROMs that come out of a manufactory.

And I want to have the stuff I buy physically in my hands, and this as long as possible, and not scrambling to dust one day (to put it rather extremely).
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#30

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,610

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 20:21
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I'm actually a little bit disappointed about not mentioning Drakensang
It was in Part 1 - in the Worth Watching section.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,271

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 22:18
Originally Posted by fatBastard() View Post
Shhhhhhh! Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!! or you'll wake up Roqua. Once he gets started it'll take a stake through the heart or 7 virgin sacrifices to make him go back to his cave
Dammit. I just shot pepsi out my nose!

If I'm right but there is no wife around to acknowledge it, am I still right?
TheMadGamer is offline

TheMadGamer

TheMadGamer's Avatar
SasqWatch

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,849

Default 

January 10th, 2007, 23:04
Okay, I understand.

My short-time memory is just crap.
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#33

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,610

Default 

January 11th, 2007, 03:24
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Okay, I understand.

My short-time memory is just crap.
It was the swampweed mixed with mushrooms, I think … you saw what it did to Den but had to try it anyway, didn't you?!?

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#34

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,271

Default 

January 11th, 2007, 04:10
Sacred is one of the worst games I've ever bought. I don't know what I was thinking after playing the demo that made me go out and pay for that. Did anyone like that piece of crap? Age of Decadence is vaporware. There is no way in hell it will be released in 2007. That guys been talking about how it was just about ready to be released for two years and then coming up with some little thing he had to fix at the last second to drag it out another six months. It's no different than Grimoire and has about as much chance of ever being released.

abr

Guest

#35

Posts: n/a

Default 

January 11th, 2007, 07:01
An interesting insight. I'm sure VD will be happy to comment the next time he drops by!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#36

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,252
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

January 11th, 2007, 12:39
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
It was the swampweed mixed with mushrooms, I think … you saw what it did to Den but had to try it anyway, didn't you?!?
Oh, I see. I've got to stay away from greenish glowing potions with purple spots in it, then.
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#37

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,610

Default 

February 12th, 2007, 17:27
Originally Posted by abr View Post
Sacred is one of the worst games I've ever bought.
Ah, there's a game based on even worse design decisions than Obliv… cough… some other quasi-RPG that will remain nameless. Why do mob drops repeatedly consist of class specific equipment that your character can never - under any circumstances - actually use? Shifting through mountains of useless equipment is not entertainment. Neither is it any fun clearing monsters out of a room only to walk back in five minutes latter and find it completely repopulated. And if all these endlessly re-spawning monsters scale to your level then there's no point is killing them as, relatively, your character never increases in power - making Sacred one titanic exercise in futile repetition.
MudsAnimalFriend is offline

MudsAnimalFriend

Watchdog

#38

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 150

Default 

February 12th, 2007, 22:11
And yet, Sacred is one of the most successful PC RPGs released for years. In fact, without reliable Titan Quest numbers, Sacred's 1.6M+ copies arguably makes it the best successor to Diablo 2 yet released in terms of sales success.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#39

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Side Quest: 2006 - 2007 Overview, Part 2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:25.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch