|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Div Div /Disciples II 9.99 @ Target

Default Div Div /Disciples II 9.99 @ Target

February 24th, 2007, 19:16
Just got Divine Divinity @ Target for 9.99. Disciples II gold was there also for 9.99 as well!

We need like a "Sound of a title officially hitting the 9.99 bargain bin" thread to alert people of the when and where.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 24th, 2007, 20:55
good idea xSamhainx, and i like the imagery too

curious

liberty or license

February 24th, 2007, 21:31
Maybe we need an official bargain thread ?!
And maybe another one for games on print mags.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

February 25th, 2007, 03:48
They're the small JC versions right?

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 25th, 2007, 05:09
yeah, theyre jewel-cased, so youre not getting anything but a PDF manual. Full versions tho, and that Disciples II is the original + all 3 expansions. Pisses me off because i just bought it a few months ago for like 25 bucks online!

Lots of good (and not so good) titles are going to be hitting jewel-case bargain bin soon. Some, like Stronghold II, I refuse to buy for more than 9.99 because of their reputed legendary bugginess. Others, like Div Div, I just havent gotten around to buying. Another good thing about getting them in this fashion is that if they are older games, they are updated for XP. I rebought Dungeon Keeper II and the original Age of Empires for 9.99, and they were both XP-ready versions.

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 25th, 2007, 05:17
Disciples II is basically like HOMM but with smaller battles isn't it? Groups rather than armies? I played the demo for the original Disciples a long time ago and I remember really liking the art\graphics, but for some reason I never did get the game.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 25th, 2007, 06:55
yeah, it's two rows of three. More grim in my opinion too, and difficult

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 25th, 2007, 14:37
Crud. I did the hour-long drive to civilization yesterday, but didn't take advantage of the Target there. Looks like I'll have to make another pilgrimage next weekend.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 25th, 2007, 19:24
Disciples has some of the best art(not graphix) in gaming imo—and is indeed challenging and hardcore tb strat. There are still campaigns I haven't been able to beat(in Rise of the Elves).

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 25th, 2007, 19:46
I agree, the art and presentation of Disciples II is stunning, everything is incredibly detailed. It's one of those games that even the menus are a treat to look at. Here's the article at Gamer'sInfo that convinced me to pick up the gold edition, and after playing myself, I think it's pretty dead-on.
Last edited by xSamhainx; February 25th, 2007 at 19:53. Reason: fixed link!

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 25th, 2007, 23:24
If you love such detailed graphics, then you might take a look at the Age of Wonder series.

I once wrote a review for Age of Wonders II over there at RPGDot.

But fans of the series consider Age of Wonders . Shadow Magic as the better game of the latter two - although it has a darker story (to my taste).

The first games of the three is rather unique (within the three games) in the respect that it has far more RPG elements incorporated (for the "Heroes"), and a more tolkienesque story.

I think I have Disciples II on a gaming mag's CD-ROM somewhere … If it's the gold version, then I'll definitively take a look at it - sooner or later.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 26th, 2007, 00:00
Nice overview, Samhain. He likes playing the explorer hero like my son—I prefer the mage for most races. One of my most played games.

@Alrik I"ve tried hard with Age of Wonders as, let's face it, how many fantasy tb strat games are there—but I have never been able to really get into it. I played quite a bit of the first, but haven't got past the tutorial in II. And it's the really really bright graphics that are part of the problem for me. To each his own

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 26th, 2007, 00:04
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
And it's the really really bright graphics that are part of the problem for me.
Yes. Have you read my rant about "why must everything be dark and grim" on these forums ?

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

February 26th, 2007, 01:33
So I decided to do the hour-long drive to civilization again. Target didn't even have a spot on the shelf for it. Build me up just to smash my dreams…damn you, Sammy, damn you to the very depths of hell!

Dallas Cowboys: Afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 26th, 2007, 02:02
which game are you looking for dteowner?

curious

liberty or license

February 26th, 2007, 02:39
There's been enough buzz about Div Div here that I thought I'd give it a spin. I played the demo a few years ago and wasn't terribly impressed, but it seems the prevailing opinion around here is pretty positive. Y'all make it sound like Dungeon Siege with intricate character development, which (now that I've played and enjoyed DS2) sounds pretty tasty.

Last edited by dteowner; February 26th, 2007 at 03:10.

dteowner

Shoegazer

February 26th, 2007, 05:40
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
So I decided to do the hour-long drive to civilization again. Target didn't even have a spot on the shelf for it. Build me up just to smash my dreams…damn you, Sammy, damn you to the very depths of hell!
An hour to the nearest Target? Where do you live, Timbuktu?

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom

February 26th, 2007, 06:25
I just download the Disciples II demo and played a little.

Holy crap, the difficulty level of this game is no joke! I'm playing on "average" and getting my ass handed to me.

Couple questions,
How do you acquire\purchase new units, and how do you cast spells? I don't see an option for either.

JDR13

SasqWatch

February 26th, 2007, 07:55
Inside your capitol there are icons that represent the screens you research spells from—you need X mana and can research one per day. You also purchase your units in here(after your hero enters or by clicking on the castle) from the army screen. Heros cost more than regular units—you also have to build the structures to upgrade/recruit each unit first except for the basic ones—just click on the garrison to see what units can be purchased initially.
After you research the spell, you can cast it—indepently of your heros—anytime during the turn by clicking the spellbook icon and selecting a target.
Don't know how far the demo will let you get in unit building—in the campaigns they kind of restrict you so that each mission you get a little higher upgrade.

Anyway, it's all inside the capitol—hope this makes sense! Enjoy

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

February 26th, 2007, 07:59
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
There's been enough buzz about Div Div here that I thought I'd give it a spin. I played the demo a few years ago and wasn't terribly impressed, but it seems the prevailing opinion around here is pretty positive. Y'all make it sound like Dungeon Siege with intricate character development, which (now that I've played and enjoyed DS2) sounds pretty tasty.
It actually is kind of like a european cross between Diablo2 and Dungeon Seige in a bizarre kind of way, dte—but it isn't slick, it isn't about teh graphix and it goes on forever—for 9.99 you'd definitely be getting your money's worth. Sorry you couldn't score it locally. PM headed your way.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Div Div /Disciples II 9.99 @ Target