|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPG News - DOSBox v0.70 Launched

Default RPG News - DOSBox v0.70 Launched

March 9th, 2007, 00:12
DOSBox 0.70 has been released, providing various improvements - hit the link for a full rundown of the new features.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 9th, 2007, 00:12
Has anyone tried if DoxBox works on Windows Vista? It would be kickass to play old Dos games on it when the newest games lag or crash.

Surlent

On ghost mode

March 9th, 2007, 07:29
damn .70 still doesn't play Shadows over Riva using a CD image even though it works in XP using a CD image….

I think it used to work using a CD image with a really old version like .60 or something. A pity cause it crashes for me in XP right after killing the vampire.

I have the actual CD but it's scratched beyond repair, anyone else had any success with playing it in dosbox? I played the first 2 in dosbox fine.

This is what I am trying to start it:
dosbox E:\games\roa\riva\riva.exe -c "mount d G:\ -t cdrom -l 970220_1739 -usecd 1 -ioctl"
where G:\ is a mounted image and is the second CD-rom (reported by "mount -cd").

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.
Last edited by bjon045; March 9th, 2007 at 07:36.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

March 9th, 2007, 13:35
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
damn .70 still doesn't play Shadows over Riva using a CD image even though it works in XP using a CD image….

I think it used to work using a CD image with a really old version like .60 or something. A pity cause it crashes for me in XP right after killing the vampire.

I have the actual CD but it's scratched beyond repair, anyone else had any success with playing it in dosbox? I played the first 2 in dosbox fine.

This is what I am trying to start it:

where G:\ is a mounted image and is the second CD-rom (reported by "mount -cd").
use imgmount with your image.

DB A

March 9th, 2007, 14:54
More great news - I love DOSBox for the way it allows me to run stuff I missed the first time, or old games I just miss …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

March 9th, 2007, 15:30
Originally Posted by DB A View Post
use imgmount with your image.
I tried:
dosbox E:\games\roa\riva\riva.exe -c "imgmount d E:\games\roa\img\970220_1739.mdf -t iso"
It also didn't work. I remember with the older version of dosbox I had to make sure I got the label of the disk right (as in my previous post) but it doesn't seem to work either way now. I guess I should submit a bug to the dosbox forums.

Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

March 9th, 2007, 19:54
We have a German-language small DOSBOX-thread on the Larian Boards. Here.
You could try posting your question there, we all understand the English language.

But don't expect wonders. We are all just normal people/gamers …

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 10th, 2007, 09:57
Read this in the official forums:

"Good news for all Daggerfall fans… seems that DOSBox 0.70 now supports dynamic core CPU for Daggerfall and it runs absolutely smoothly. Finally !!! Horray for Dosbox team."

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=14220

Time to go back in time once more and give this game a swirl…

Altough, i am skeptic until proven wrong!

Edit: Tried Crusader: No Remorse and System Shock (@ 640x480) at it was immensly enjoyable. Something definitly right in this release!! I only found my Jewel Case for Daggerfall and can not try it bugger.
Last edited by mute; March 10th, 2007 at 11:42.

mute

Sentinel

March 13th, 2007, 21:48
Wow, I'm impressed. This release really seems to be working well with some games that it had trouble running before. It now also runs "TES Battlespire", "Prisoner of Ice" and "Stonekeep" (anyone remember that one? I just loved that game when it came out - a nice EOB-style dungeon crawl…)

KasperFauerby

Sentinel

March 14th, 2007, 00:04
It definitely runs DF, though it took some effort to get it to install!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 14th, 2007, 12:44
Stonekeep ? Of course ! "Thera Awakening" is actually one of my favourite novels !

I e-mailed with David Pulver, who wrote this small novel, and he said he'd like to have his rights of the book back, if possible … Don't know whether the rest of Interplay would be wiolling to do that - and who has the rights anyway.

Still sorry that "Godmaker" was never made (all I know from it are a few concepts and the storyboard of the intro - available to see on the web site of one of the related artists).

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

March 14th, 2007, 14:41
After some quick testing, DF looks at least as playable as it was under 0.63. My only real problem under that version was that mage guilds and palaces usually run around 1 FPS, with the CPU hovering around 15%. Bumping the clock count only makes you move around at warp speed.

I tried v0.70 with the CPU set to auto/auto, and wowsers, DF was running high frame rate and I was able to move around at normal speed. Looked great. The wierd thing was all of the NPCs in town were playing a walking animation at normal speed, but they were only moving at a snail's pace.

Also tried SS1, and can now get it to run very smooth at 640x480 with max details. Sadly, cyberspace is still a pain in the arse to navigate, but that's a design problem with the game — it really needs mouselook to control orientation.

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire,
chase away the hoofed liar.
Roof and doorway, block and beam,
chase the Trickster from our dream.

Stanza

Lighthouse Keeper

March 15th, 2007, 00:06
I have perfect animations and speed with DF and all NPC and I'm running it at high res with everything maxed!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

March 15th, 2007, 07:47
Originally Posted by KasperFauerby View Post
Wow, I'm impressed. This release really seems to be working well with some games that it had trouble running before. It now also runs "TES Battlespire", "Prisoner of Ice" and "Stonekeep" (anyone remember that one? I just loved that game when it came out - a nice EOB-style dungeon crawl…)
It runs Battlespire? Yay! Now I may finally finish my second tour through! I still have my savegames…

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

March 19th, 2007, 15:02
Bleh, I ran into my first bug yesterday. The custom house in Colonization wont work for some reason

Zaleukos

Bum

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPG News - DOSBox v0.70 Launched