|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 3 - Craig Mullins on Concept Art @ NMA

Default Fallout 3 - Craig Mullins on Concept Art @ NMA

May 24th, 2007, 05:05
I found this a rather interesting (if unimportant) item. You may know that with the release of the latest Fallout 3 teaser image, some NMA community members quickly identified scenes from the art as real world photos from Googie Architecture Online. Concept artist Craig Mullins has spoken about commercial art practices and the material Bethsoft originally gave him to create this piece:
Wow, I am amazed people are looking at these images so closely. At some point Bethesda may release better versions? These seem to be jpeg'd very heavily..

I would have to go back and look through what Bethesda sent me on this job, but as I remember most of the source materials on Stripmall were provided by Bethesda. I was not familiar with the Fallout universe and had trouble "getting it" at first. The capitol was painted on top of a 3-d block model.

This is commercial art, made to illustrate an idea. It is not fine art, nor is it an exposition on my abilities as delineator. Whether or not I could paint some of these objects from scratch is not relevant. What is relevant is it would take more time to do so, and that time could be spent toward the end goal of illustrating an idea or feeling. […]
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 24th, 2007, 05:05
Better to use this link for the identification pic, the one you use should block outside links, AFAIK.
Last edited by Brother None; May 24th, 2007 at 05:13.

Brother None

SasqWatch

May 24th, 2007, 06:31
Craig Mullins is one of my favorite artists. I don't understand what the big deal is regarding usage of photos in conjunction with the art. As long as permission was granted to use them, it only makes sense to do so.

BTW, If you're into art at all, check out Dylan Cole http://www.dylancolestudio.com/ . He's the guy behind the big Hellgate London Image.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

May 24th, 2007, 08:41
I'm not trying to say it's a big deal - I just found it interesting and thought it might provide some small industry insight. I don't/didn't know how concept artists normally work.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

May 24th, 2007, 12:57
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I'm not trying to say it's a big deal - I just found it interesting and thought it might provide some small industry insight. I don't/didn't know how concept artists normally work.
I think the whole thing is interesting as well. Doesn't mean much - in fact it sort of reinforces the non-meaning of the concept art when he admits to not knowing the IP.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

May 24th, 2007, 12:59
I remember Dave McKean using this kind of design style for Black Orchid comic back in 1988. Heavy photo use in the Batman he did with Neil Gaiman (Arkham Asylum).

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

May 24th, 2007, 13:53
One possible implication is that since Bethy provided the portfolio of pics that Mullins used for artistic reference, they plan on creating models/levels/zones based on those pictures. They used Mullins to effectively create montages with a weathered, post-apoc style, so Bethy's 3D modelers have their own artistic references to use when creating in-game content.

As for whether Bethy intends the game to take place in specific locales, or just went for the "Oh cool, check it! Pics from the 50's!" approach and googled for images without regard to location… Only they know the answer. So all we get are conspiracy theories.

I like conspiracy theories.

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire,
chase away the hoofed liar.
Roof and doorway, block and beam,
chase the Trickster from our dream.

Stanza

Lighthouse Keeper

May 24th, 2007, 17:23
Yes, I think that using actual landmarks would only serve to make the game more realistic and believable. Carry on, I say.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

May 24th, 2007, 17:51
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky;29704

BTW, If you're into art at all, check out Dylan Cole [url

http://www.dylancolestudio.com/[/url] . He's the guy behind the big Hellgate London Image.
Nice link—the trailer pics for Rise of Legends are excellent.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

May 24th, 2007, 18:31
It's funny that a lot of people are taking offense to the fact that Mullins uses available images to create his artwork… just shows that most people have no idea who he is.

Tom Ohle

Watcher

May 24th, 2007, 21:55
Originally Posted by Tom Ohle View Post
It's funny that a lot of people are taking offense to the fact that Mullins uses available images to create his artwork… just shows that most people have no idea who he is.
Argumentum ad verecundian is a nice thing huh?…

It doesn't show the most people have no idea who he is. It shows they don't know who these things work…

Morbus

May 25th, 2007, 05:35
I found the statement he said "Wow, I am amazed people are looking at these images so closely." to be really funny. He doesn't know Fallout fans too well if he he didn't know that As far as taking real pictures and changing them, then cool. It's art arn't artists supposed to try new things?

I also have no idea about who he is nor do I really care, all I know is that his work I saw was awsome and I'm glad he's working on the project.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

May 25th, 2007, 05:40
@ Skave: He did the artwork for Age of Empires III, if that rings any bells.
I never played that game myself, it's not my type, but I'm also an artist, and have a photographic memory.

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Fallout 3 - Craig Mullins on Concept Art @ NMA