|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - Revelations Review @ Ars Technica

Default Mass Effect - Revelations Review @ Ars Technica

June 24th, 2007, 11:54
Ars Technica has reviewed the Mass Effect book Revelation, written by BioWare's Drew Karpyshyn. The site recommends it as a "buy" so anyone following Mass Effect might want to check it out:
The story itself focuses on an eventful investigatory campaign led by a war hero named David Anderson; a model solider and upstanding example of human capability. Anderson is charged with the task of investigating an attack on a secret human military encampment, but things quickly go awry as the shroud of mystery is slowly lifted. Encounters with the mysterious and ruthless Citadel Spectres—a special force of above-the-law soldiers working directly for the government—and bounty hunters make the investigation all that much more difficult, and the story plays out with an effective balance of action and edification that is paced pretty well. The interactions with the book's Spectre, especially, led to some daydreaming about being a ruthless antihero in the game, as we know that the main character of the game is a Spectre.
More information.

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

June 24th, 2007, 11:59
Very much a 'don't buy' from me.

Massive infodumps all over the place, annoying cliche after annoying human interest cliche used to try and disguise the cardboard characters, suspension of disbelief defying galactic diplomatic shenanigans stuck in there so that people can make 'we humans are not going to be pushed around!' type speeches (spare me!), unstable prone to exploding stuff, strategically placed just to be all explody, so we can have lots of HUGE explosions in the final act.

Oh, and that whole damsel in distress thing. Twice. with the same damsel, who is supposed to have been a frickin' space-marine or something in her previous career.

Frankly it was a wallbanger of a book. Lowered my expectations for the game quite a bit. So maybe you could consider it if you're looking for a hype antidote

And it's not as if I don't like pulpy science fiction adventure stories, after all I have a bunch of both E.E Doc Smith and David Weber sitting on a shelf over thataway. I wasn't expecting to get the head-bending, attempt to rewire your perception of the future, past and present subspecies of science-fiction, after all.
Last edited by SKapusniak; June 24th, 2007 at 12:00. Reason: misplaced comma

SKapusniak

Traveler

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Mass Effect - Revelations Review @ Ars Technica