|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Mafia 2 perhaps…

Default Mafia 2 perhaps…

August 18th, 2007, 03:40
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6176833…stnews;title;1

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq

August 18th, 2007, 11:32
I'd rather see Max Payne 3 to be honest.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 18th, 2007, 11:52
They are two entirely different game developer companies; I don't see how your comment fits in here?

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.

r3dshift

Sentinel

August 18th, 2007, 12:05
Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
They are two entirely different game developer companies; I don't see how your comment fits in here?

I know it's different companies, and I wasn't implying that Illusion Softworks should make a Max Payne title, just that the 2 games are similar in some ways and have drawn comparisons from some people. Whenever someone mentions Mafia I always think of Max Payne and vice-versa.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 18th, 2007, 16:59
i wasn't aware max payne was anything but linear. was there a game world to explore? i know they're supposed to have a good story, but it is a rollercoaster ride right? also wasn't max payne a rockstar game…yeah i'm not exactly their number one fan illusion softworks is great though and they need to come out with a game period as it's been a couple of years since the hidden and dangerous 2addon.

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq

August 18th, 2007, 20:04
Mafia was here. In Duisburg. German town. Killed 6 people.

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR

August 18th, 2007, 20:39
Both Max paynes were made by Remedy software not rockstar. and yes Max payne game is a rollercoaster ride, but it was meant to deliver a film noir story with a gameplay resembling hong kong action movies.

Personally I rate Mafia a bit higher than max payne because the storyline and more diverse gameplay, but on the otherhand Max payne is the tighest action game there is and gameplay never gets old. Whenever I want a solid action experience, I launch Max Payne.

Dez

Watcher of The Keep

August 18th, 2007, 21:26
They both have a similar look and feel as far as the gameplay mechanics and control are concerned, although I thought the control was much tighter in Max Payne. The stories of course are much different and yes, Max Payne was linear, but not in a bad way.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 18th, 2007, 21:37
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I'd rather see Max Payne 3 to be honest.
Me too, but maybe after Alan Wake, which seems to resemble Max Payne combined with Twin Peaks.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

August 18th, 2007, 23:58
I think the only thing that Max Payne and Mafia have in common is that they are sold in a Maximum Underworld (gangstaaaahhhh d00d!!!111) package . Otherwise I'd find the Mafia = GTA in the 1930s comparison much more fitting than linking Mafia to Max Payne. Other than the underworld theme they barely have anything in common gameplay-wise.

Moriendor

Spielkind

August 19th, 2007, 00:15
Maybe we have different definitions of gameplay then. They both use a 3rd person camera view and a very similar aiming system. They both use the standard wasd control with a mouse look. They're both "shooters" primarily, with the ability to use some items. I'm not sure how that's barely anything in common.

*edit* Just to be more specific so you don't think I was trying to be an ass. To me, "gameplay" is the mechanics of the game, how you control your character and the physical actions you perform in the game. To me, the storyline and the setting\theme is seperate.
Last edited by JDR13; August 19th, 2007 at 00:31.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 19th, 2007, 01:07
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Maybe we have different definitions of gameplay then. They both use a 3rd person camera view and a very similar aiming system. They both use the standard wasd control with a mouse look. They're both "shooters" primarily, with the ability to use some items. I'm not sure how that's barely anything in common.
OK but that is not very specific. Of course games of a certain genre will always feature similarities in gameplay but the things you mentioned, i.e. 3rd person, aiming, WASD, mouse look and using items applies to pretty much every 3rd person shooter ever made (El Matador, Splinter Cell, Gears of War (OK when it comes to PC at least ) GTA, Mafia etc…).
So with those rather general or imprecise gameplay features we have a large pool of games to pick from. We have a high level of abstraction. In order to limit the pool we need to zoom in and take a closer look at more defining gameplay features and things that these games from our pool might have in common.
And if you do that then you'll find that playing as a character with criminal intents in a large open world and using cars, car-jacking is a thing that is only shared by GTA and Mafia. Thus I'd be willing to agree with curiously undead that Mafia = GTA (in the 1930s) is a more fitting comparison than Mafia vs Max Payne.
Of course, comparing Mafia to Max Payne isn't a wrong comparison but it's too abstract and too imprecise. There is a game with GTA that has more in common with Mafia than Max Payne so it would make a little more sense to draw the comparison between these two.

Moriendor

Spielkind

August 19th, 2007, 01:36
Having never really played GTA I can't comment on it, but I'm sure it does have more in common with Mafia than Max P does. I wasn't trying to imply that Max Payne had more in common than Mafia than any other game out there. I'm not a huge fan of 3rd person shooters and don't play very many of them, maybe that's a reason why Max Payne and Mafia remind me of each other. Max Payne is definitely way more similar to Mafia than El Matador, Splinter Cell, or Gears of War though so I'm not sure what the reference to those were about.

btw: Could be wrong about El Matador because I've never played it.

JDR13

SasqWatch

August 19th, 2007, 02:52
Aaaaaanyway, Mafia is one of my favourite game ever, so w00t! And about bloody time, too.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

August 24th, 2007, 12:19
Found a nice slideshow with screenshots from Mafia 2. Looks really nice. Can hardly wait.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

August 24th, 2007, 14:50
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Found a nice slideshow with screenshots from Mafia 2. Looks really nice. Can hardly wait.
Nice slideshow! Looks fantastic, let's hope it delivers.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

August 27th, 2007, 06:40
Mafia was a great game and I hope they can do it again.

I am worried though, since Mafia had such a good story and character depth is it possible for Illusion to do it again and not just be another sequel?
They have made several games (Flying Heroes, Vietcong and H&D) none have had deep story and character depth, iirc.
Certainly H&D was a very good combat game but I don't recall anyone saying how in depth the story and characters were and certainly not with FH or Viet.

While Mafia was a very good game (one of my favorites) several problems held it back, including the ending
Spoiler
, being forced to kill cops and not allowing save games, all of which are clearly the Developers call, at least in this case I can't see it as the publishers fault.

Secondly I think even Illusion see at least some of these things as mistakes, did you notice that the presumed protagonist looks almost exactly like Tommy if he would have been 20 instead of about 30 in the game, even though the game is 10 years later.
Maybe even though we know about the daughter Tommy had a son but how could he be 20 if this is just 10 years later?

I am hoping for the best and cautiously optimistic.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Mafia 2 perhaps…