|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer - Previews @ Gamespot, Gamespy & IGN

Default NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer - Previews @ Gamespot, Gamespy & IGN

September 20th, 2007, 10:47
In more NWN2:MoTB news, the first new previews following the recent media presentation at Obsidian's offices are beginning to appear. These 3 are just out at Gamespot, Gamespy and Ign respectively.
WARNING:There are definitely some SPOILERS in these hands-on previews, so if you want the game to be a complete surprise, you may want to stop reading here.
Spoiler – SPOILERS
Last edited by magerette; September 20th, 2007 at 19:07.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

September 20th, 2007, 10:47
Spoilers indeed. Thanks a bundle GameSpy for a few completely unnecessary ones.

I'm starting to hate games journalism. MotB OTOH is sounding better and better…

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

September 20th, 2007, 13:56
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
Spoilers indeed. Thanks a bundle GameSpy for a few completely unnecessary ones.

I'm starting to hate games journalism. MotB OTOH is sounding better and better…
I stopped where magerette told me … THANKS FOR THAT!

I have also become much more careful about reading previews … but that is as much about trying to balance my fanboy desires against keeping my head clear for doing reviews.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 20th, 2007, 19:05
Yeah, I thought they went into a lot of unnecessary detail; previews didn't use to be *quite* this hands-on. OTOH I found it all interesting and positive as far as the game went, and I guess you're going to be exposed to much of this stuff pretty early in the game.

And much as I hate to admit it, as an incentive to buying and playing MotB, the ploy seems to be working on me. The descriptions of the Plane of Shadows elements probably would have been enough for that, though.

Edit:I went ahead and wrapped the quoted text in Spoiler tags here in this thread(thanks for that feature, Arhu) so it's less tempting for those who want to remain UNSPOILED

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

September 20th, 2007, 22:47
I hope that this isn't the last expansion pack. Has Obsidian said if there are intentions for another one? I would love to see another fresh, brand new adventure from level 1. I could easily go through one 50+ hour D&D adventure every year. What a shame there aren't more.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

September 21st, 2007, 05:39
Well, unless this one utterly bombs, I doubt it's the last. They've spent a lot of time and money correcting and polishing, putting in this and that etc, plus I think I've heard it said that the guys at Obsidian call MotB "NWX1".
It makes sense they would build on these improvements for future projects (and future $$$). If it follows the pattern of the NWN1 expansions though, I doubt they'll start you at level one—-might have to wait for NWN3 for that.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

September 21st, 2007, 07:35
I don't know. Plannings for NX1 started before NWN2 was released so that could be an optimistic term. I think it depends on how well NX1 sells. In fact, NWN2 sold less than NWN1, so there have to be good arguments for another expansion. And what about Premium modules just like for NWN1?

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Sentinel

September 21st, 2007, 07:53
I agree, a lot depends on how well this one goes over. Time will tell. Did you check out the Purgatorio/Planescape Trilogy modules, Avantenor?

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

September 21st, 2007, 08:05
Yep, I'm following that one loosely. I think this is a must-play when it comes out, it really looks great. I hope they can make it available soon.

A-Van-Te-Nor: A big car full of black hot beverage

Avantenor

Sentinel

September 21st, 2007, 08:23
I think NWN1 has sold over a LONG period of time, helped along by the modding community and online play. NWN 2 does not yet have that luxury, since there are insufficient mods to generate those extra sales!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

September 21st, 2007, 13:19
Originally Posted by Avantenor View Post
And what about Premium modules just like for NWN1?
So far as I gathered from Patrick, the Premium mods were more about showing continued high-level support for NWN … so I think we'd need to wait a bit, but hopefully there is some sort of incubation going on.

Personally I think that a Premium mod program, particularly in MP and PW mods, could be a solid shot in the arm for NWN2 … and worth them spending a few bucks on.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 21st, 2007, 14:20
Could we maybe keep spoilers off the front page? Particularly details which are meant to surprise the player, like the bit about the Plane of Shadow. I appreciate spoiler warnings on links, but in this case I saw it after I'd read the quote.
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
Well, unless this one utterly bombs, I doubt it's the last. They've spent a lot of time and money correcting and polishing, putting in this and that etc, plus I think I've heard it said that the guys at Obsidian call MotB "NWX1".
It makes sense they would build on these improvements for future projects (and future $$$). If it follows the pattern of the NWN1 expansions though, I doubt they'll start you at level one—-might have to wait for NWN3 for that.
They're not following the pattern of the NWN1 expansions. Shadows of Undrentide started you at level one. A new start at a low level (not necessarily one) also seems likely for NWX2. If Mask of the Betrayer leaves you somewhere in the thirties, there's really nowhere left to go after that. You've picked up all of the interesting class abilities you're going to get, and you're tougher than just about anything in Faerūn. I can't imagine them expecting us to grind myrmyxicuses and other Fiend Folio content we've never heard of.

Statues wouldn't be better if they could move. Model airplanes would not be better if they were the same size as airplanes.

abbaon

Daft as a daisy

September 21st, 2007, 15:21
Originally Posted by abbaon View Post
Could we maybe keep spoilers off the front page?
Nice job to magerette for how she managed that!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

September 21st, 2007, 15:43
She only edited her post. The newsbit is unchanged. But what I'm asking for is a change in the policy on spoilers; I've already read this one.

Statues wouldn't be better if they could move. Model airplanes would not be better if they were the same size as airplanes.

abbaon

Daft as a daisy

September 21st, 2007, 17:09
Sorry abbaon. I did try to indicate that spoilers followed in the newspost; next time I'll be more selective about what I actually quote.

About the expansion levels, I was thinking of HotU. Forgot that SoU started you from scratch.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer - Previews @ Gamespot, Gamespy & IGN