|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » The music! The music, people!

Default The music! The music, people!

October 26th, 2006, 01:13
We've had plenty of threads on combat, quests, bugs, important NPCs and so on and so forth, but we have yet to discuss the music in Gothic 3.

Personally I think the music in Gothic 3 is quite possibly the best I've ever heard in a game. KaiRo has outdone himself this time, combining some of the best music of Gothic 1 and 2 with new tunes into a great experience in all situations.

I especially like how the music always fits the different areas, whether it's in a small village in Myrtana, the dense forests, or in the middle of the desert. When I play games I normally find myself turning off the game music after a certain amount of time and turning on my own music in most cases, but in Gothic 3 I keep humming to the tunes of the game constantly.

That's my opinion at least - how do you feel about the music people? To me, music is very important to the atmosphere in a game, especially as a first impression.

Maylander

SasqWatch

Send a message via MSN to Maylander

October 26th, 2006, 01:48
I am a great fan of the Gothic music, and have downloaded everything that has been made available to date. I saw the soundtrack listing in th eNews post earlier, and that gets me more intrigued. Can't wait for the game to enjoy more KaiRo excellence …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 26th, 2006, 02:28
Even though I have not played G3 as of yet…I do love the music. Hell…I remember stating that way back when G2 was released. I even have G2 mp3s on my nano and as soon as one of them gets put in the shuffle I go floating off to G2 land. Visions of game play come into view in my mind and I start to relive G2 all over again.

I know of no other game that I have played that can do that.

Ragnar

Watcher

October 26th, 2006, 15:15
As much as i like quality music, in G3 i've turned the background music "off" - i've left all others - ambient etc' on "full" - this way i can appreciate the normal atmospheric sounds better as they are then uncluttered and more definate, i can even hear certain beasts snorting in the dense trees and undergrowth as i approach, this "no-music" style is how i picture the natural gothic world.

However, burning the gothic's music onto cd and playing back through a hi-fi analogue/digital stereo system in a lounge/living-room does the Gothic-series music proud, more emphasis, more clarity, more ambience…yes, in some way it is too good to be appreciated when it has to be squeezed through some of todays miserly pc-speaker systems.

Alternatively, a friend of mine actually has his sound-card 'line-out' fed through a surround-sound full amplified system. Now this "IS" the way to get the full-depth immersive value while playing the game.

Wulf

Inquisitor

October 26th, 2006, 16:58
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
Alternatively, a friend of mine actually has his sound-card 'line-out' fed through a surround-sound full amplified system. Now this "IS" the way to get the full-depth immersive value while playing the game.
I do the same thing…kind of. I pump the sound/music through my Sony surround- sound wireless headphone system…totally awesome sound / ambiance. Well worth the few hundred it cost me for the setup.

Ragnar

Watcher

October 26th, 2006, 17:35
I am happy with just a decent set of headphones. Used to have a 2.1 setup, but after using headphones for a bit - particularly with the Thief games, I never went back …

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 27th, 2006, 02:33
Yeah, that's all I use now too. Plus, it doesn't annoy all the other people in the house!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

October 27th, 2006, 04:06
Out of curiosity did the Sound tracks from G1 and G2/NotR ever get released out of Germany?
Or are they offered as downloads or mp3s from PB or a pub like some tunes from G3 were offered pregame realase?

Acleacius

SasqWatch

October 27th, 2006, 04:08
There were a few G2 songs released - 5 or so.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 27th, 2006, 10:59
I never found music to the add-on of Gothic 2, but the original tune to G1 etc were available on the net I think.

Maylander

SasqWatch

October 27th, 2006, 13:16
The clips that were released for Gothic 2 can be found here.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

October 27th, 2006, 13:33
The G3 music is in .ogg format. It can be extracted with Dragon Umpacker or a tool from WoG.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

October 29th, 2006, 17:28
I do agree that the music is great, but I don't know why when I first start the game everythings is turned so quiet (not a setting). When I restart the game, everything is ok again.

so very, very tired (Star Trek XI quote according to the Simpsons)

Bartacus

BartWatch

October 29th, 2006, 17:48
Are you sure master sound is not turned down? That happened to me for some strange reason, master sound got turned all the way down to 0, so I had no sound. Maybe it detected something wrong with my soundcard drivers or something, or maybe it was a weird bug.

Maylander

SasqWatch

October 30th, 2006, 23:43
I love it. Rarely gamemusic is this good. I could listen to it at any day without actually playing the game! My favorite part of the score is either the vengard theme or the theme which can be heard in montera.

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

November 2nd, 2006, 15:34
I loved the ending music so much that I had to rip it. The Gothic 3 music might just be some of the best game music I heard.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

November 2nd, 2006, 15:53
Originally Posted by JemyM View Post
I loved the ending music so much that I had to rip it. The Gothic 3 music might just be some of the best game music I heard.
… oh, boy I can't wait … just a couple more weeks!

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

November 2nd, 2006, 16:49
Yes indeed JemyM, the music is exceptional, I'm very impressed by what KaiRo managed to pull off this time.

Maylander

SasqWatch

November 2nd, 2006, 21:05
I was stunned by the intro movie. That created a perfect atmosphere to start the game with.

My Current System:

HP dv5000 Laptop w/ custom changes:
Intel Centrino Duo (2x 1.66 Ghz)
1 GB System Memory
512 MB GeForce Go 7400 (256 MB Dedicated, 256 MB Shared)

Arexen

Watcher

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Gothic 3 » The music! The music, people!