|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Review @ Eurogamer

Default The Witcher - Review @ Eurogamer

October 26th, 2007, 16:18
The first major English review for The Witcher is out with Eurogamer awarding 7/10 in a fairly positive two-page article that supplies a critique without really giving much detail into the gameplay. Here's part of the intro:
So, by my reckoning, The Witcher is only half an RPG. The role you play is non-negotiable - you're Geralt, a white-haired growly-voiced amnesiac anti-hero. Nor can you choose his profession. It is, after all, rather set in stone by the verb-slaughtering title of the game. He's a witcher, a professional slayer of the supernatural, wandering from town to town ridding the countryside of foul beasts using swords, magic and a little bit of alchemy. You'll be using the same swords for pretty much the whole game (though you can augment them), your armour options are limited and you've got a fairly rigid vengeance-fuelled goal in mind. If you're looking for one of those games where you can craft your own jewel-encrusted golden armour, and spend months tinkering with optional side-quests, then move along. This one isn't for you.
If, however, you're a fan of compellingly realised environments, commendably realistic social interactions and full-blooded fantasy storytelling then pull up a pew, since The Witcher has a lot to offer.
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 26th, 2007, 16:18
This review is a bit strange to me. First of all, i've got the game like for 2 days and I can't stop playing. They say it's not a real role-play. Bullshit. Role-play does not mean you have to have hords of different characters to play. The hero is one - true, but the rest is up to you. You can be a baddie, you can be noble and save damsels (they can be really grateful for that and pay you back with arms… and legs spread wide open You can support elves, humans or these strange knights of the Order.
But yes yes yes!! The world is just amazing. The colors, the water, the humans and nonhumans… they are simply great. I find real pleasure in simply walking and looking around admiring the environment.
Ok, that's enough from me. I'd better get back to the game. I've just met a nice elven woman

Jaskier

Traveler

October 26th, 2007, 16:25
The review basically says that the game excels at everything that matters and then gives it a fucking 7/10? Because you can't craft jewel-encrusted armor?

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

October 26th, 2007, 17:08
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
two-page article that supplies a critique without really giving much detail into the gameplay
Isn't that already implied in the words "Eurogamer" and "review"?

MudsAnimalFriend

Watchdog

October 26th, 2007, 17:41
His definition of RPG is retarded. You are playing a role, it's just chosen for you.

Cabezone

Watcher

October 26th, 2007, 17:46
Yeah, this is a bit of a disappointing review. I'm reminded of Kieron Gillen's EG review of Mask of the Betrayer, with its "if you like RPGs, you'll like this. If you don't like RPGs, you won't." style summation.

Dyne

Watchdog

October 26th, 2007, 18:19
Originally Posted by doctor_kaz View Post
The review basically says that the game excels at everything that matters and then gives it a fucking 7/10? Because you can't craft jewel-encrusted armor?
Yea, exactly. What the heck? I'd rate it AT LEAST 9/10 (I've just finished the first act

Jaskier

Traveler

October 26th, 2007, 18:31
Just installed the witcher!

So I'm going to spend whole weekend playing witcher, can't remember when I was as excited of any game as I'm now :-)

Dez

Keeper of the Watch

Default whoa

October 26th, 2007, 18:47
Hey, the game's great! So you can play only one character, big deal. I've been playing it for two days and I'm pretty much in love with it
Gotta go play

the Brain

October 26th, 2007, 19:38
Anyone really surprised? RPG's are the most ambitious games typically, and always get a heavier critique than a more focused game. I too have had the game for about 12 hours, and can mark it as the 3rd game in recent memory that required a sick day from work

Melvil

Super Duper Super Sweet

October 26th, 2007, 19:48
I think they gave Dungeon Runners 8/10 or something? Never really took them seriously after seeing that.

woges

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

October 26th, 2007, 21:44
Originally Posted by Melvil View Post
[…]I too have had the game for about 12 hours, and can mark it as the 3rd game in recent memory that required a sick day from work
You're fired - greetings - your boss.

indigo

Traveler

October 26th, 2007, 22:04
Originally Posted by Melvil View Post
Anyone really surprised? RPG's are the most ambitious games typically, and always get a heavier critique than a more focused game. I too have had the game for about 12 hours, and can mark it as the 3rd game in recent memory that required a sick day from work
Oh Goodie I haven't had a game like that since Civilization IV came out.

doctor_kaz

Keeper of the Watch

October 26th, 2007, 23:10
Currently, I'm in the second act and this is how I feel:
As for now, the game has met all my expectations. The plot is interesting, the dialogues witty (the first game I really listen to the whole dialogues), the combat is simply great (at the first it wasn't as captivating, but when I developed the styles, it became great), the mini-games are interesting (especially dice poker), NPCs are great….. And I could go on and on…
Graphics is better than I expected, really. Sometimes it's hard to believe that it's the Aurora engine. There were a couple of times when I was simply standing and admiring the views.

Jaskier

Traveler

October 26th, 2007, 23:35
Only a relative handful of actors ever get to pick and choose the roles they're offered, so if his definition of role-play were true, I guess the majority of actors would never really be acting. That sounds like awfully creative thinking to me.

So what if the player can't choose his role? It's still a role. A better consideration might be how much the player is able to develop that role.

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

October 27th, 2007, 04:05
"If, however, you're a fan of compellingly realised environments, commendably realistic social interactions and full-blooded fantasy storytelling then pull up a pew, since The Witcher has a lot to offer. "

Pull up a pew?? Is that supposed to be witty? It doesn't even make any sense as a pun.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

October 27th, 2007, 04:36
Hmm…that makes perfect sense where I'm from. Maybe it's a local idiom thing?

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

October 27th, 2007, 06:39
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
"If, however, you're a fan of compellingly realised environments, commendably realistic social interactions and full-blooded fantasy storytelling then pull up a pew, since The Witcher has a lot to offer. "

Pull up a pew?? Is that supposed to be witty? It doesn't even make any sense as a pun.
I'd guess he was saying that if you like all those things, then the Witcher is the church for you to worship at.

chamr

Mounted Highborn

October 27th, 2007, 10:47
This kid hasn't got a clue what RPG is all about. I can smell Borelivion follower when I see one. Torment wasn't RPG either. Why? Because you can't customize your own character, that's why! It's nothing compared to best-in-the-world Oblivion!

Crolug

Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Crolug

October 27th, 2007, 11:45
Average (unpatched) review is still more like 8,5 so its still all good. Single review scores dont really matter that much.

zakhal

HomelyRebel

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Review @ Eurogamer