|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN2 - Mysteries of Westgate Interview @ RPG Codex

Default NWN2 - Mysteries of Westgate Interview @ RPG Codex

November 10th, 2007, 03:30
RPG Codex has a great interview with Alan Miranda and Luke Scull about Ossian's Mysteries of Westgate premium mod for NWN2:
5) The setting is, basically, a metropolis, which is a bold and brave choice. Why the urban setting? How do you keep it interesting for the mass market? How big is it?

Luke: We chose an urban setting because at the time we began planning the game, there was a distinct lack of them around. While the OC had Neverwinter, it was more like a shell than a fleshed-out city.

We felt that the team of excellent writers we assembled would be eminently suited to writing a complex, intrigue-laden story in a city environment and we wanted to choose somewhere shady enough so that we could allow characters of all classes and alignments to express themselves. Westgate fitted the bill.

How do we keep it interesting for the mass market? I’m not 100% sure what this question means, but our market is the existing NWN2 fan base, which we have a lot of experience with. The game opens with a bang and there’s never a shortage of things to do from the moment the player steps foot into the city.

The city is divided into four large districts, each of which is very distinct and packed with quests and encounters. The player also gets to travel outside the city on a few occasions. There’s a good 15 hours of gameplay there in any one playthrough.
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

November 10th, 2007, 03:30
That was a pretty good interview. I'll miss those. Maybe you guys could persuade VD to come and write for RPG Watch.
Badesumofu is offline

Badesumofu

Badesumofu's Avatar
Sentinel

#2

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 454

Default 

November 10th, 2007, 05:43
I hope VD continues to write the occasional feature (especially interviews, which I think are his greatest strength). He is more than welcome to write for us if the desire and appropriate situation arises.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#3

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

November 10th, 2007, 11:11
Originally Posted by Badesumofu View Post
That was a pretty good interview.
Agreed. Puts my interview to shame

Seriously, good questions. Not fully satisfying answers, but que sera, sera.

It'd be fun to see VD do interviews for the Watch. Though no harm for the RPG industry if he choses to focus on game making, I'd say.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,554

Default 

November 10th, 2007, 16:23
Fuck, if he decided to put all his effort into making games, that'd be great! Those fucks at RPG Codex don't deserve him. I mean, they get off on their own lulz, sure, but for someone like me reading the site, all those lulezers put together don't contribute anything, they can all die as far as I'm concerned. Acting like they're owed a place to post shit that would get them banned everywhere else… parasites. VD is The Codex. Meh. whatever. If he puts all his tim into making games, all the best. If he wants to keep doing interviews, I have no doubt that he'll be apreciated here, or anywhere else.
Badesumofu is offline

Badesumofu

Badesumofu's Avatar
Sentinel

#5

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 454

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 07:18
Originally Posted by Badesumofu View Post
VD is The Codex.
That's a really stupid thing to say.
I suppose you don't visit the Codex a lot, hmm?

Btw, I love his interviews.

Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself.
Frau Bishop is offline

Frau Bishop

Frau Bishop's Avatar
Traveler

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mitten im Vaterland
Posts: 5

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 07:49
It's called hyperbole. He does all the interviews, the reviews. Sure, there are a few other posters there who do post some interesting and insightful comments, but most of it gets lost in garbage.

As a casual reader of the Codex with 20-something posts, I can tell you that there's little reason left to visit the site. RPG Watch is better in terms of keeping up to date with happenings in the world of RPGs. Sifting through pages and pages of bullshit to try and find a few interesting opinions doesn't really strike me as a good way to spend my time. Based on some of the comments I've seen on the matter, I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Badesumofu is offline

Badesumofu

Badesumofu's Avatar
Sentinel

#7

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 454

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 19:45
So don't visit it. No need to whine about it here of all places.

The Codex is bigger than VD. The fact that he's not an admin anymore clearly demonstrates that. I'm sure no one at the Codex would object if VD would start writing for RPG Watch, and a whole bunch of Codexers would probably come here to read it too, so there's no need for the hate.

Personally, I already come here when I want a larger quantity of news and don't care so much about the quality of each news item (no offense).
Last edited by vrok; November 11th, 2007 at 20:08.
vrok is offline

vrok

Traveler

#8

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 20:03
I mean, they get off on their own lulz, sure, but for someone like me reading the site, all those lulezers put together don't contribute anything, they can all die as far as I'm concerned
What the heck means "lulz" and "lulezers" ??? - I think I'm getting old.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong. - HL Mencken
HiddenX is offline

HiddenX

HiddenX's Avatar
The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Donor

#9

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NRW/Germany
Posts: 4,409

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 20:18
Originally Posted by vrok View Post
Personally I already come here when I want a larger quantity of news and don't care so much about the quality of each news item.
Not that I care to defend the Watch, but this particular criticism sounds kind of funny when practically all of the news items in the Codex are a copy-paste from here.

Originally Posted by vrok View Post
The Codex is bigger than VD.
Would you say it is as big as DU? Isn't he the genious who stated that everything that there is to be said about RPGs has already been said? Not only this defies the raison d'etre of every RPG site, it also proves invalid Goedel's incompleteness theorem (look it up in any serious book on logic).

Originally Posted by vrok View Post
…so there's no need for the hate.
Humans have always hated dwarves and elves.

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher
Lethal Weapon is offline

Lethal Weapon

Lethal Weapon's Avatar
Sentinel

#10

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 257

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 20:41
Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon View Post
Not that I care to defend the Watch, but this particular criticism sounds kind of funny when practically all of the news items in the Codex are a copy-paste from here.
What I meant was that VD usually only posted the most interesting news items and not just any shit that popped up. Perhaps that wasn't clear, but since you edited out the no offense part maybe it was.

The rest of your post doesn't need to be discussed here, despite your fancy reference. It has already been discussed to death at the Codex. Let's just leave it at that.
Last edited by vrok; November 11th, 2007 at 20:50.
vrok is offline

vrok

Traveler

#11

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 21:34
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
What the heck means "lulz" and "lulezers" ??? - I think I'm getting old.
Lulz is a derogatory term used to describe posts made only to create laughs and contain nothing of value to the discussion at hand. Often they also work as troll posts since the jokes are commonly of a provocative nature.

A lulzer is someone who almost exclusively posts such things (see Chefe).
KazikluBey is offline

KazikluBey

KazikluBey's Avatar
Sentinel

#12

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 525

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 22:07
Originally Posted by vrok View Post
It has already been discussed to death at the Codex.
So what? Does that make it some new kind of way of proving things?

I'll keep that in mind. Next time I get cornered in an argument I'll just reply "It has already been discussed at the Codex."

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher
Lethal Weapon is offline

Lethal Weapon

Lethal Weapon's Avatar
Sentinel

#13

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 257

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 22:34
If you want to discuss the Codex, go to the Codex. I declined your invitation to the argument because I don't think it deserves to get dragged over here. Why do you feel the need to act superior about it over here? That's Codex behavior! Go there if you really have what it takes!
vrok is offline

vrok

Traveler

#14

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 22:58
Yes, let's not make Watch vs Codex thing out of this for no reason. We both have our places.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#15

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,968

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 23:14
Originally Posted by vrok View Post
If you want to discuss the Codex, go to the Codex. I declined your invitation to the argument because I don't think it deserves to get dragged over here. Why do you feel the need to act superior about it over here? That's Codex behavior! Go there if you really have what it takes!
Allow me to return the complement sir, whenever you feel capable of forming a coherent argument I would be more than happy to discuss it with you in this or any other thread.

As far as me and the Codex goes I was never afraid of posting there, in fact I recently started a quite popular thread under this username, including a dev post.

But whatever.

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher
Lethal Weapon is offline

Lethal Weapon

Lethal Weapon's Avatar
Sentinel

#16

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 257

Default 

November 11th, 2007, 23:19
Originally Posted by Lethal Weapon
As far as me and the Codex goes I was never afraid of posting there, in fact I recently started a quite popular thread under this username, including a dev post.
Originally Posted by vrok
If you want to discuss the Codex, go to the Codex.
But I'm happy you feel that way. Really.
Last edited by vrok; November 11th, 2007 at 23:44.
vrok is offline

vrok

Traveler

#17

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » NWN2 - Mysteries of Westgate Interview @ RPG Codex
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:45.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch