|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Review @ The Escapist

Default The Witcher - Review @ The Escapist

November 27th, 2007, 16:28
Originally Posted by Elwro View Post
One thing that puzzles me is the guy isn't even ashamed of the fact that he's writing the review after only playing the game for 10 hours. Some would call this sincerity; I'd say it's just insolence.
That is very common, but as Dhruin mentions it is really only acceptable when you are rushing for a Day of Release deadline.

I don't get paid for my reviews at any of the sites I deal with (other than a few thousand $$ of free games … most of which I wouldn't buy anyway … ) - but I do insist that I be allowed to complete games before reviewing. My time is important, but I only review games to share my views and insights with others and hopefully either encourage them to grab gems they might have missed or skip crap not worth buying.

— Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch

#21

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 11,326

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 16:44
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I don't get paid for my reviews at any of the sites I deal with (other than a few thousand $$ of free games … most of which I wouldn't buy anyway … ) - but I do insist that I be allowed to complete games before reviewing. My time is important, but I only review games to share my views and insights with others and hopefully either encourage them to grab gems they might have missed or skip crap not worth buying.
Damn straight.

I do get paid for working on GameBanshee, but I mostly value that I can take my own time with articles, even up to selecting what I want to write about.

As I said on the Codex: When previewing Hard to be a God, I played the demo through 2 times and twice more with different builds just to be sure I explored it properly, I re-read the book which I hadn't picked up in ages, and only after investing that much time, way over 10 hours, did I consider myself qualified to do a preview.

And I think that should be standard. I can understand, having worked in the editorial office of printing media, that deadlines can mess this up and I have no problem with that, but you'd figure that in a month's time they could've spared more than 10 hours. What's more, if you've only spent 10 hours in the game, the article really shouldn't be called a review, because it's not, you're not reviewing the game, you're giving impressions from your sparse playing time. Call a bird a bird and a pig a pig, please.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#22

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,552

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 17:02
Exactly. I would call this article a preview, not a review. Is this guy that biased or does he have a personal vendetta against CDProjekt? That was completely ridiculous! When he starts complaining about his ability to time attacks because Geralt becomes semi-transparent??
Not only was he desperately trying to stretch every last negative flaw he could pull out of his butt, but he also showed his complete lack of skill in playing games in general. Wow, that whole article was incredible.

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880
Jabberwocky is offline

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky's Avatar
True Synaesthete

#23

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 1,081

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 19:06
Failure to compare like with like. Bioshock's graphics are praised in a vague manner. The Witcher is pulled up on some minor clipping issues, cast as indicative of an ugly game. This isn't the case, at least in my opinion.

The portrayal of women is intriguing. On the one hand there's some bawdy fun; with the outrageous suggestion that women might dare to enjoy sex too. On the other, depressingly matter-of-fact chatting between women regarding how badly their abusive husbands beat them.

I found it a refreshingly frank take on "olde worlde" gender roles; compared to the more "right-on" sanitised, contemporary-minded equality of other fantasy games. The rabid, fire and brimstone misogyny of the Reverend was nicely evocative.

As far as the idea that it is patronising and denigrates women that giving shiny, pretty things to them wins their favour (and rational men don't fall to such schemes) - men are cast as mercenary drunks who'll abandon their posts and the like for money, narcotics or plenty of hooch to ruin their minds and livers with.
I don't think either sex is unfairly vaunted or demonised here.
Dyne is offline

Dyne

Watchdog

#24

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: United Kingdom, London
Posts: 122

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 23:31
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
What's more, if you've only spent 10 hours in the game, the article really shouldn't be called a review, because it's not, you're not reviewing the game, you're giving impressions from your sparse playing time. Call a bird a bird and a pig a pig, please.
I wrote to Corvus (who has written some nice stuff in the past) about this and he said he couldn't stand to play any more. I don't have a problem with that (I disagree with his assessment but his opinion is his to have) but I said it should be a "first impressions" article, an editorial — whatever, but *not* a review.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#25

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 23:41
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I wrote to Corvus (who has written some nice stuff in the past) about this and he said he couldn't stand to play any more. I don't have a problem with that (I disagree with his assessment but his opinion is his to have) but I said it should be a "first impressions" article, an editorial — whatever, but *not* a review.
I know. I actually went to the Escapist to discuss this, here. As I said there:

I'm sorry but huh?

If I read a book review, I assume the reviewer read the entire thing. If I read a movie review, I assume the reviewer watched the entire thing. And if something is called a game "review", I should damned well be able to assume someone played the entire thing.

Aren't you people getting paid for this? I'd say an integral part of being able to call yourself a game journalist (I usually don't, as the term has too many negative connotations) is that you have more expertise on the subject and, perhaps more importantly, spend more time on games than the average person?

Let me put it this way, if someone plays the Witcher for ten hours, goes onto a forum and posts "this game are the suck", I'd probably fault his usage of the English language, but other than that I'd shrug and go "at least he gave it a try." But he's not a professional, it's not his job to review games. The moment you make that your job, the moment you claim journalistic professionalism, you are held up to higher standards.

Because when push comes to shove, that's what this is about. A journalist's standards. If you do not play the entire game, don't come running to your users with something you claim to be a "review". You haven't played the entire game, then how can you review the entire game? That's patent nonsense. This article is an opinion piece, or an impressions piece, it is not a review.

The Escapist takes its sweet time, being one of the last to review this game, and then brings us a bunch of impressions based on an incomplete playthrough…and you're actually surprised people don't like it? It's an insult both to the professionals who did invest a lot of time before coming to their conclusions and it is deceitful to the readers to call it a review when it really isn't.

But at least Corvus opens by providing some context, that's good.

The fact that you're trying to defend it as such reflects really badly on the standards of the Escapist, you know.
I'm not really blaming Corvus, this is just bad editorial work. Especially when you consider what he mentioned on the Codex:
Well, here's more fuel for the fire. After considerable run-around in getting a copy of the game to run successfully on my machine (auth code mixups on the promotion company's end), my preview code expired. Atari graciously forwarded me a full copy to review. I wanted to get something to the Escapist in a timely fashion and completed the article within a week.

This was back when the game was just released. If I'd known it wasn't going to press right away, I would have taken more time with the game.

Anyway, the patch wasn't out then. So no, I didn't run it with the patch.
Seriously, that's just real bad.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#26

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,552

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 23:50
How come everyone at his site who disagrees with his review is banned?

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
magerette is offline

magerette

magerette's Avatar
Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

#27

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,929

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 23:55
Originally Posted by magerette View Post
How come everyone at his site who disagrees with his review is banned?
Because disagreeing is trolling (note, not "his", though. The writer of the review is a guest writer, he doesn't run the forum in any way)

Apparently, even though I'm not sure as I forgot, Russ Pitts banned me last time too, when I criticised his Fallout 3 preview (which you might remember for being filled with factual mistakes or, as VDweller put it, "[a]s a marketing piece the article is brilliant")

I dunno, maybe I thought too highly of the Escapist when I noted I think of them as a top-tier gaming site in one of their threads recently. Nevermind their forum policies, their editorial standards are really bad, and they're not good at taking criticism.
Last edited by Brother None; November 28th, 2007 at 00:04.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#28

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,552

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 23:56
I'm not banned there yet. Perhaps I have been too civil.
Elwro is offline

Elwro

Elwro's Avatar
Filthy Codex Spy

#29

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 482

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 23:57
Originally Posted by Elwro View Post
I'm not banned there yet. Perhaps I have been too civil.
You sayin' I'm not civil?! I'm perfectly civil, you assface!
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#30

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,552

Default 

November 27th, 2007, 23:59
'tis aint the Codex, bro. BTW, they're doing some deletin' back there in the Escapist thread: noticed the replies count increased to 53, but went back to 52 when I checked.
Well, maybe someone got scared of his own post, who knows. Or maybe it was some hideous profanity (=more criticism).
Elwro is offline

Elwro

Elwro's Avatar
Filthy Codex Spy

#31

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 482

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 00:04
Yes, some posts have been deleted, including Matt7895's post which quoted Corvus' invitation to criticise and then said "if you want feedback, why are you banning everyone?"

And my post above was a self-deprecating joke, Elwro
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,552

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 00:09
*sigh* I know ;-)
Elwro is offline

Elwro

Elwro's Avatar
Filthy Codex Spy

#33

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 482

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 00:22
I just noticed one of the associate editors has Stalin as his avatar. How very fitting!!

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher
Lethal Weapon is offline

Lethal Weapon

Lethal Weapon's Avatar
Sentinel

#34

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 257

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 01:13
Gee, I wish they'd pay Dhruin, Mike and me to write reviews; we buy the games ourselves, usually too!! Ah well, at least volunteer sites like this are still well respected!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#35

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,326
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 01:22
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Gee, I wish they'd pay Dhruin, Mike and me to write reviews; we buy the games ourselves, usually too!! Ah well, at least volunteer sites like this are still well respected!!
No problem. Just ask Myrthos to implement some standard banner code. Then we put 3 banners on the main page and add a nice little annoying pop-under.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#36

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,771

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 01:31
Too complicated. Sell the site to a gaming news network and let them write your code.

Statues wouldn't be better if they could move. Model airplanes would not be better if they were the same size as airplanes.
abbaon is offline

abbaon

abbaon's Avatar
Daft as a daisy

#37

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 321

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 01:36
Why not sell the site to M$ instead, they have more money!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch
Corwin is offline

Corwin

Corwin's Avatar
On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

#38

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,326
Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 01:53
Originally Posted by abbaon View Post
Too complicated. Sell the site to a gaming news network and let them write your code.
Not progressive enough. This method is so 2004.
Gorath is offline

Gorath

Gorath's Avatar
Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

#39

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,771

Default 

November 28th, 2007, 01:55
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Why not sell the site to M$ instead, they have more money!!
EA would probably buy it.

EA would buy anything, funny how Take Two told 'em to sod off.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#40

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,552
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Review @ The Escapist
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:40.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch