|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Eschalon discussion

Default Eschalon discussion

November 29th, 2007, 23:18
I found my Paladin to play easiest too, chamr. I'm playing a straight arcanist, but I guess you'd say I was powergaming him. I raised Perception to 30 at the very beginning. I'd say that wasn't power gaming because this guy sucks at everything but magic. He started with 30-something hit points, can't hit a barn with a weapon, but man can he put the hurting on the beasties if his mana holds out I've got alchemy up to 13 and I buy the two ingredients to make mana potions everytime I see them. I try not to use Divine Heal because it eats up valuable mana. I use a LOT of potions.

crpgnut

Fantasy Novel Archmage
RPGWatch Donor

November 29th, 2007, 23:42
Just discovered a rather cruel, and rather fun, little game for my assassin to play. When he's in a dungeon and facing a group of uglies, he snuffs all the lights, taking advantage of his hide in shadows, lures one of the uglies into a room (i think they follow you if they can hear you, even if they can't see you), and closes the door. Then it's just me, him, the dark, and one BIG AX! If one of my chops de-cloaks me, one move and he can't find me again. Poor bastard never stands a chance. When it's all over, I open the door and think, "NEXT!".

chamr

Mounted Highborn

November 29th, 2007, 23:59
Originally Posted by chamr View Post
Just discovered a rather cruel, and rather fun, little game for my assassin to play. When he's in a dungeon and facing a group of uglies, he snuffs all the lights, taking advantage of his hide in shadows, lures one of the uglies into a room (i think they follow you if they can hear you, even if they can't see you), and closes the door. Then it's just me, him, the dark, and one BIG AX! If one of my chops de-cloaks me, one move and he can't find me again. Poor bastard never stands a chance. When it's all over, I open the door and think, "NEXT!".
This technique works well in crowded rooms also. Had about five goblins in a room with me when the lights went out. Was no shortage of targets to hit whenever one wandered out of range. And once they figured out where I was all I'd have to do is step the to side and start all over again.

Sepulchrave

Watcher

November 30th, 2007, 00:04
Dungeon crawling is certainly the game's highlight.

“Of all the journeys you will undertake in this life, uncovering the secrets you hide from yourself is the most dangerous voyage of all.” – Shyha Tuhlwin, Therish Philosopher

Lethal Weapon

Sentinel

November 30th, 2007, 18:26
Patch 1.03 FINAL now available for this excellent game:
http://www.basiliskgames.com/book1.htm

Fixes listed here:
http://www.basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=740

Dagar

Watcher

December 1st, 2007, 00:06
How long does this Eschalon game last? Like how many hours played? Is it big like Morrowind or small like Gothic?

— this just in: I am probably not as retarded as previously assumed!

Ammon777

Sentinel

December 1st, 2007, 01:25
Much smaller. I'd say 25 hours is probably an average run. The land area is reasonable but the content isn't very dense.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Keeper of the Watch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 1st, 2007, 01:37
It seems to vary greatly depending on your play style (e.g. "turn over every rock" vs. powergame) and character build (some are easier to play than others). Over on the basilisk forum people of said anywhere from under 20 to around 40.

chamr

Mounted Highborn

December 1st, 2007, 02:27
I'm a complete-ist so my times will be higher than average. Not counting the handful of restarts, I think I'm about 25-30 hours in and I'm guessing I'm around 2/3 done. Although my class is healer, I'm developed as an axe fighter with bow and divinity skills which seems like a pretty strong build.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer

December 1st, 2007, 03:33
I'd class myself as a completist as well*. I remember being 12.5 hours in and only getting up to a part that many people were up to at 8 hours.

[*Except for when I'm finding a game a chore (like that Bethesda game that everyone is probably sick of hearing about).]

Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

December 2nd, 2007, 06:30
Well, I've played it for just over 2 hours and have made it through the first village and gone to a graveyard. Looking at the map I bought, there's an awful lot more to go!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

December 2nd, 2007, 06:58
I've played over two hours, too but with five different character builds and obviously, I'm still exploring the ruined village and it's nasty little dungeon. This game could take me months, not hours.
Do any other people ever show up in this game?

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

December 2nd, 2007, 09:48
Yes, in the first real village you visit after playing around in the ruined one. Nice little dungeon though isn't it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

December 2nd, 2007, 22:58
A note on that first dungeon: it was one of many early hints to me that this was going to be a good game. I went in with my first character right away, got maybe a third of the way in and realized I was over my head and would have to come back later (which is what I've done with subsequent chars, btw). After that I thought, "sweet. a game that isn't afraid to offer a challange early on that you may have to walk away from for a while." How many current cRPG's have the balls to present a tough decision like that to the player so early on?

chamr

Mounted Highborn

December 3rd, 2007, 04:04
I made it through quite easily at the beginning of the game with my only concern being running out of torches!! I thought it had just the right level of difficulty for a first level character!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

RPGWatch Team

December 3rd, 2007, 04:11
So corwin was I right about what I told you about Eschalon?

rune_74

SasqWatch

December 3rd, 2007, 04:14
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I made it through quite easily at the beginning of the game with my only concern being running out of torches!! I thought it had just the right level of difficulty for a first level character!!
Well la-di-da mister smarty-pants.

chamr

Mounted Highborn

December 3rd, 2007, 14:15
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
The starting dungeon is punishingly difficult for a ranger archetype. A bow can’t be used with a torch, but an archer can’t hit anything in darkness. Arrows run out. Arrows cost money. Complete it on level 1 without the Cat’s Eyes spell? No chance, not without game reload after reload. But I like that about the game: in order to succeed the adventurer must have the right skills for the job. No namby pamby “let’s make all the combat skills functionally equivalent” aRPG nonsense for Eschalon.

MudsAnimalFriend

Watchdog

December 3rd, 2007, 19:47
Yeah. What he said.

chamr

Mounted Highborn

December 3rd, 2007, 20:30
Well, it's finished off 4 out of 5 of my builds—the mage is the only one to perhaps have a chance, but I want to hear a human voice(well, nonhuman, computer-generated text- based voice anyway) so I'm moving on. But I'll be bock.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch

RPGWatch Forums » Games » Indie RPG » Eschalon discussion