|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex 3-Engine News @ Eurogamer

Default Deus Ex 3-Engine News @ Eurogamer

December 3rd, 2007, 18:32
Eurogamer has posted a few additional tidbits of information on Deus Ex 3, primarily the news that Eidos has chosen in-house tech for the engine:
Eidos Montreal boss Stephane D'Astous has said Deus Ex 3 will be built on the Tomb Raider: Legend engine.
Working with other Eidos studios like Crystal Dynamics (and IO Interactive) is a big plus for him, as it provides a solid foundation to quickly build upon. However, D'Astous is also adamant this game will not be rushed, but spend a regular two years in development.
"We chose the Crystal engine because we plan to help develop this engine more and then share it back with the rest of the company, the other Eidos studios." Stephane D'Astous told Develop [a European game developer's site-see link below]…
"Having that technology from the start gives us a great advantage and foundation for our coders - there are no doubts about the approach, and we have few uncertainties."
Deus Ex 3 will be the first title Eidos Montreal has developed, before it moves on to another existing Eidos IP and then embarks on an original project.
It's taking the resurrection of the action role-playing FPS whatever series very seriously too, and looking to the cherished first instalment for inspiration.
"Deus Ex 3 is an incredible title to be working on, and will also help us attract talent. Real gamers, serious gamers. It's a big mandate we have received - and we take it very seriously," continued D'Astous.
You can read more on this subject from Stephane D'Astous in the original article where these comments appear, a Q & A with Develop

More information.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

December 3rd, 2007, 18:32
Deus Ex 3 will be the first title Eidos Montreal has developed, before it moves on to another existing Eidos IP and then embarks on an original project.

Can it possibly be the Legacy of Kain series????*fingers crossed*

POLYGON

Heavy Smoker

December 3rd, 2007, 20:46
Mediocre Engine + Young Developer = ?

Bundyo

Watcher

December 3rd, 2007, 21:03
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Mediocre Engine + Young Developer = ?
I don't know but, an amazing engine + very experienced developers does not always equal great game either !

lanael

Watcher

December 3rd, 2007, 21:31
Yes, i was going to edit my post:

Mediocre Engine + Young Developer = The Witcher

Bundyo

Watcher

December 3rd, 2007, 21:51
Originally Posted by POLYGON View Post
Can it possibly be the Legacy of Kain series????*fingers crossed*
God I hope so.
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Yes, i was going to edit my post:

Mediocre Engine + Young Developer = The Witcher
The Crystal Engine isn't mediocre imo. Tomb Raider Anniversary looked good imo. Nothing extraordinary. But nice.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

December 3rd, 2007, 22:07
Most important is that it's not so system-demanding

POLYGON

Heavy Smoker

December 3rd, 2007, 22:16
Originally Posted by POLYGON View Post
Most important is that it's not so system-demanding
Yeah. TB Anniversary worked beautifully on my low-end system(Celeron 2,4. 1 giga ram, 7600gt). Also another Lok on the same engine would be awesome.

But they'll probably change the engine in a certain amount, and raise the system requirements.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch

December 3rd, 2007, 22:28
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
But they'll probably change the engine in a certain amount, and raise the system requirements.
That's definate because in two years graphics of TBA will be outdated but I'm sure the raise in reqs will be minimal

PS:I like your signature

POLYGON

Heavy Smoker

Default this is good news

December 3rd, 2007, 22:41
it's much more easier to develop and expend an existing engine then start a new one from scratch. remember gothic 3 fiasco? it means Eidos will have more time to actually invest in the game itself+they see the first game as the true Deus ex to follow.

gargar

Watcher

December 4th, 2007, 12:04
Since the game won't be conming out for at least another two years, I really wouldn't have minded if they had chosen UE3, for instance. I wasn't at all blown away by TR:L's visuals, and in 2 years' time, it's gonna look awfully dated. Plus by then, most gamers will own rigs that could easily handle UE3 as well. So, the gfx engine is definitely a bad choice, for starters.

Working too much could interfere with your drinking.

r3dshift

Sentinel

December 4th, 2007, 13:55
Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
Since the game won't be conming out for at least another two years, I really wouldn't have minded if they had chosen UE3, for instance. I wasn't at all blown away by TR:L's visuals, and in 2 years' time, it's gonna look awfully dated. Plus by then, most gamers will own rigs that could easily handle UE3 as well. So, the gfx engine is definitely a bad choice, for starters.
Definitely agree - the UT engines tend to scale nicely over time as well. They keep tacking on technology that keeps it up to date.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 4th, 2007, 18:25
I thought Tomb Raider Legend looked fantastic. The level where you had to climb the outside of the tower building was visually stunning, and I can easily see that being well suited to DX3.
Of course the graphics will be significantly improved for a 2009 release, but in my opinion they don't need to be. A nice wide-ranging scaling option would be nice. Personally, I really don't care for the strides towards "photorealism" in games, I find it extremely boring. I like my games to look like games, not animated movies. But that's just me, in a very, very small minority.

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

Gallifrey

Keeper Of Traken

December 5th, 2007, 02:09
Yes, Unreal engines have always scaled well, isn't amazing that one of the most beloved games, so far still doesn't have a texture upgrade? I would truely love to see some revitalization of Deus Ex, if t eidos is going to keep screwing everything up by focusing on consoles first and quality second.
UT engine is only one step from U2 and very close to the UR2003-4k, maybe just a conversion would be easiest? Hell, if they screwup DX3, hopefully there will be some movement in that direction.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 5th, 2007, 05:28
Originally Posted by Acleacius View Post
Yes, Unreal engines have always scaled well, isn't amazing that one of the most beloved games, so far still doesn't have a texture upgrade? I would truely love to see some revitalization of Deus Ex,
You mean like this?

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

Gallifrey

Keeper Of Traken

December 5th, 2007, 06:23
Wow, thought this project had long been canceled, there was a long thread on TTLG but it died long ago, iirc.

Thanks.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 5th, 2007, 09:38
Tested it and it's not really what I was expecting, hardly noticeable atm. SS2 & IW has a much better texture upgrade package maybe these guys need more time but still good someone is finally getting around to it.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Deus Ex 3-Engine News @ Eurogamer