|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Original Script Unlocked

Default The Witcher - Original Script Unlocked

December 10th, 2007, 23:31
RPG Codex poster 1eyedking has worked out how to unlock the original English dialogues in The Witcher that were cut by Atari (presumably to save money on voiceovers), sometimes changing the text dramatically. Here are the details:
1. Open Windows's Registry Editor (Start->Run->type "regedit"). Navigate towards 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARECD Projekt RedThe Witcher' . Double-click the 'Language' tab. Enter '1' in 'Value Data' without the commas. Close the Editor (it saves the changes automatically).
2. Go to your Witcher's Data folder inside the directory where you installed the game.
3. Rename 'lang_3.key' to 'lang_1.key'.
4. Rename 'dialog_3.tlk' to 'dialog_1.tlk'.
5. DO NOT rename anything else. The game will still look inside voices_3_00.bif to get the dialogue wave files, for example.
As usual, please make appropriate backups and use separate saves in case of any problems. This will still leave the (shorter) recorded voiceover in place, which may prove distracting for some players - YMMV.
Thanks, Melvil!
More information.

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 10th, 2007, 23:31
Wow, that should become popular

Crolug

Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Crolug

December 11th, 2007, 00:03
Interesting … worth a try for the study value alone.

— Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

December 11th, 2007, 01:31
Cool, I didn't expect this till after the toolkit was released.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

December 11th, 2007, 08:24
This is according to the poster a fix for all the side effects.
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21845

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 11th, 2007, 11:31
"about possibly releasing the uncut dialogues " - I have been waiting for this issue to be fixed. They refer themselves as perfectionists and I take my chances before playing the game.

Dusk

Sentinel

December 11th, 2007, 15:59
Nice work! I just got the Witcher myself and am holding out for the 1.2 patch. However, Lukasz from CDProject stated that the dialogs being accessed are unofficial versions which are bugged and somewhat outdated. While personally I think it might be interesting to see the differences between the original and "butchered" versions, life's too short to replay an RPG twice! (unless it's a really good one!).

Personally, given the devs claim that they'll probably look into in eventually I think I hold out for that…

Vesuvius

December 11th, 2007, 22:05
Yeah the dev was quite disparaging about them:

Originally Posted by Dziadu
Guys…

What you are talking about is nothing but bugged, unofficial version of dialogues and journal which was for internal use only. Sorry to be the one to tell you that but if you look closer at this texts you'll se how bugged they are Wink. These are absolutely NOT OFFICIAL dialouges and journals.

So, congratulation 1eyedking since you were able to discover some of "dev mysteries" Smiley but there's no way we can call it "COMPLETE ORIGINAL SCRIPT" for The Witcher!!! Wink Please remember that these dialogues and journals are not part of the game and may contain many, many bugs. You may use it on your own responsibility - CD projekt will not support it in any way.

EDIT: What more (I just received this info from production team) - Most of the "original" Wink dialogues are from early version of the game, some of them are outdated, some are bugged and some might even be in polish Grin. One thing is clear - it's not very reasonable to use them…

kalniel

SasqWatch

December 14th, 2007, 08:14
That dev answer was a PR damage control (or bullshit putting it more bluntly), not a honest answer or comment. Both replies - from Lukasz on rpgcodex and on official forums from Dziadu are almost identical - and especially the former one got a few blunt comments later as well.

msoltyspl

Traveler

December 14th, 2007, 18:36
I'm waiting for a get rid of or crack the copy protection that breaks it when run under win2k…

cutterjohn

Sentinel

December 14th, 2007, 19:27
Originally Posted by msoltyspl View Post
Both replies - from Lukasz on rpgcodex and on official forums from Dziadu are almost identical - and especially the former one got a few blunt comments later as well.
More than just a few. The whole "bugged and outdated" comment seemed to rile them up the most.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

December 15th, 2007, 04:28
The replies are identical because Dziadu and Łukasz Mach rare the same person.

Ausir

SasqWatch

December 15th, 2007, 15:22
Some examples, maybe this would help you decide whether to install this fix.

Spoiler

Bottom line: Developers are saying that 'the uncut line' is derivated from the early version of game and thus is outadted. I wouldn't say so. The uncut script for the most part is just a faithful translation from the original Polish, while the in-game one looks like…yeah, the early sketch of the dialogues. The only outdated thing I've noticed in the uncut one is that the name Coleman is changed into Brick. Other players say that it also changes the names of some other characters and plants, but it is still much closer to the Polish than in-game one.
Last edited by Ptosio; December 15th, 2007 at 15:23. Reason: fixing spoiler tags

Ptosio

Traveler

December 15th, 2007, 16:51
Yes, the translation of some of the proper names is outdated, but other than that the uncut dialogues are much better than the cut ones.

Ausir

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » The Witcher - Original Script Unlocked