|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 4 - Screens @ Worthplaying

Default Gothic 4 - Screens @ Worthplaying

December 17th, 2007, 23:06
Worthplaying has four screens they think are from Spellbound's development of Gothic 4, although they don't sound confident. I'm pretty sure we've seen these screens (or similar) months ago, so they are certainly early/proof of concept Gothic 4 screens but I can't find it in our database - no doubt you'll remind me in the comments.
More information.

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 17th, 2007, 23:06
Those are definitely not actual screens from Gothic 4.

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=149991

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 17th, 2007, 23:12
don't recall seeing them.
nice screens, though to me they don't seem anything like gothic; much more a traditonal fantasy feel to me though in the vien of nwn2 or the witcher rather than the more plastic look of oblivion or two worlds.

curiously undead

tuned to a different freq

December 17th, 2007, 23:23
I wouldn't expect them to be actual screens from the final game, which is why I called them proof-of-concept.

Clarified the newsbit anway - thanks for that link.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 17th, 2007, 23:25
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Those are definitely not actual screens from Gothic 4.

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=149991
I had posted something like this in the internal forum a couple of hours ago. Iīm still puzzled if Dhruin read it before writing the newsbit.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

December 17th, 2007, 23:38
Iīve added another update to the newsbit.

Maybe the original source is a bit clearer than Worthplaying.

http://www.trinigy.net/index.php?id=20

"Screenshots of a Fantasy RPG study of one of our clients planned for release for PC & Next-Gen consoles and based on Vision Engine 6."

-> Maybe thatīs a hint that they no longer plan to release it. Because they have another project now.

http://www.meaning-of-art.de/vision_flyer.jpg

This scanned Vision Engine flyer also shows some very similar pics. The scan was made in late August. Iīve read the pics are from May, which may or may not be true.

The developer is indeed Spellbound.

JoWooD mod & former JoWooD-Fans EiC iks wrote that both the Spellbound CEO and a JoWooD producer told him at the GC that the shots are not from G4.

My guess:
Spellbound was working on a prototype for a multi-platform RPG when they found out that JoWooD was seeking a developer for Gothic 4. They had proven technology, somebody with RPG experience (Hamma), they had an early prototype they modified to look like Gothic, they are an experienced studio and they are from Germany. Thatīs almost a perfect fit. Which gave both sides an interesting perspective. Spellbound wasnīt that successful in the last few years and JoWooD was in dire need of a studio with a decent track record, because the voices were getting louder who expected them to contract a cheap studio from Eastern Europe and cash in on the Gothic brand one last time.
Last edited by Gorath; December 18th, 2007 at 00:26.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

December 18th, 2007, 00:53
Sorry - missed that altogether and I was sure I'd seen these or similar before. Looks like my memory is rather faulty.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 18th, 2007, 04:52
Well Gothic 4 or not, those are some nice looking screens!

..& so they take the fiction all out of the Jabberwock & I recognize & accept him as a fact. - Mark Twain, May 30, 1880

Jabberwocky

True Synaesthete

December 18th, 2007, 11:26
It's kind of a shame they'll be using the name Gothic at all in my opinion.

I mean, of course they will…but still…it's pretty unlikely that it will still *feel* like Gothic to me. On the one hand I hope I'm wrong and we do get a new Gothic (that just happens to be COMPLETE when released)…but on the other hand it'd be nice if *both* this game and whatever PB does had nothing to do with the Gothic universe but was something completely original instead.

Well, at least half that will be true…

Oh, and the screenshots do look good. But to be honest the Helldorado shots interest me more. There just aren't enough western games…and the fact that they call that a "stunning Wild West Tactical Action Strategy title" while using the words real-time strategy for the next game gives me hope that Helldorado *might* be turn-based (I hate real-time "strategy").

Majnun

SasqWatch

December 18th, 2007, 14:36
Helldorado is already out in Germany, through dtp / Anaconda. Itīs basically a recycled Desperados 2 (came 12 months earlier through Atari). D2 was a bit more action-y than Desperados and was a decent but not really great game according to the reviews. Helldorado was closer to Desperados and got better reviews because it fixed most design mistakes D2 made.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 4 - Screens @ Worthplaying