|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Decadence - Screens & Combat Teaser

Default Age of Decadence - Screens & Combat Teaser

December 17th, 2007, 11:44
I was on my way to check out the Iron Tower forums to do a roundup on The Age of Decadence but stopped at NMA, only to find they'd already done it. This thread has a nice collection of links offering some new concept arts, shots of the world map as artist Oscar develops the concept further, a pair of barracks screens and a 30 sec teaser of the long-anticipated second combat trailer that should be released soon.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

December 17th, 2007, 11:44
Note the concept art and world map can only be seen when logged in.

That happens whenever a user uses an "attach image" feature rather than an img src. It's a bit annoying for outside users, I'll ask VD if he can turn it off.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,551

Default 

December 17th, 2007, 12:33
Well, that settles the question of whether they're using heavy dark lines in every texture. How many barrels do you see in this screenshot? No peeking at the original.

Statues wouldn't be better if they could move. Model airplanes would not be better if they were the same size as airplanes.
abbaon is offline

abbaon

abbaon's Avatar
Daft as a daisy

#3

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 321

Default 

December 17th, 2007, 12:51
11?

That's ridiculous, that's not even funny (<- reference, not an actual remark)
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,551

Default 

December 17th, 2007, 13:20
Well I like it very much. Looks excellent. This combat video is much smoother than the one released a little while ago.

The map screens are fantastic as well, it's what I was hoping for when I last saw the earlier map drafts.

You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
Gallifrey is offline

Gallifrey

Gallifrey's Avatar
Keeper Of Traken

#5

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 658

Default 

December 17th, 2007, 15:47
Good work, The Age of Decadence team!

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.
Acleacius is offline

Acleacius

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,486

Default 

December 17th, 2007, 21:24
I love that zoomed out view. The lack of cutting edge eye candy means there is more artistry.

Along with Eschalon, this is evidence of a traditional CRPG revival.
Arpyjee is offline

Arpyjee

Arpyjee's Avatar
Watchdog

#7

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 137

Default 

December 18th, 2007, 07:13
Originally Posted by Arpyjee View Post
I love that zoomed out view. The lack of cutting edge eye candy means there is more artistry.

Along with Eschalon, this is evidence of a traditional CRPG revival.
That's interesting because they're so different.

Eschalon is just a copy of traditional cRPG design. It doesn't intend to innovate anything and hence it doesn't. Thomas just doesn't feel he needs to, and I think he's right, it's not like he's producing a kind of games that are a dime a dozen right now.

But AoD is different, it is in fact moving the cRPG genre "forward", so it's not just a revival of traditional cRPG design. It's not like the VD has always been against change and just wants a duplicate of mid-90s RPG design, he would just like to see cRPGs evolve in a different direction than the BioWare school. And that's what he's doing.
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,551

Default 

December 18th, 2007, 17:31
If only he wasn't so conflict oriented when talking to people I might actually be more interested in his game.
rune_74 is offline

rune_74

SasqWatch

#9

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,918

Default 

December 18th, 2007, 18:05
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
If only he wasn't so conflict oriented when talking to people I might actually be more interested in his game.
What exactly does "conflict oriented when talking to people" that mean, good sir? Most conflicts I've had a misfortune to participate in were created long before I joined them.

Btw, what does your affection toward a developer (or lack thereof) have to do with your interest in games? Just curious.
VDweller is offline

VDweller

VDweller's Avatar
Watchdog

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 159

Default 

December 18th, 2007, 18:07
Originally Posted by VDweller View Post
What exactly does "conflict oriented when talking to people" that mean, good sir?
Dude, don't be so contentious.

The lol.

Originally Posted by VDweller View Post
Btw, what does your affection toward a developer (or lack thereof) have to do with your interest in games? Just curious.
+1 here
Brother None is offline

Brother None

Brother None's Avatar
SasqWatch

#11

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,551

Default 

December 19th, 2007, 12:29
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
That's interesting because they're so different.

Eschalon is just a copy of traditional cRPG design. It doesn't intend to innovate anything and hence it doesn't. Thomas just doesn't feel he needs to, and I think he's right, it's not like he's producing a kind of games that are a dime a dozen right now.

But AoD is different, it is in fact moving the cRPG genre "forward", so it's not just a revival of traditional cRPG design. It's not like the VD has always been against change and just wants a duplicate of mid-90s RPG design, he would just like to see cRPGs evolve in a different direction than the BioWare school. And that's what he's doing.
True, but I never claimed they were both/equally progressive.

IOW, I prefer to see Eschalon as retro-traditionalist, and Age Of Decadence as nuevo-traditionalist.

But I still would say they indicate a traditional CRPG revival, as neither faithfully embrace the new-school, click-heavy, eye-candy laden, FPSization model.
Arpyjee is offline

Arpyjee

Arpyjee's Avatar
Watchdog

#12

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 137

Default 

December 19th, 2007, 12:35
Originally Posted by rune_74 View Post
If only he wasn't so conflict oriented when talking to people I might actually be more interested in his game.
Most creative minds aren't silent conformists (unless they are Beth-Bots, of course. But then again, are Beth-Bots *really* creative ?).

Give me a dynamic, outspoken, provocative artist anytime, over those metrosexual cliqueish types (who are so scared of being politically incorrect, and tremble at the thought of stepping on someone's hyper-sensitive toes).
Arpyjee is offline

Arpyjee

Arpyjee's Avatar
Watchdog

#13

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 137
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Age of Decadence - Screens & Combat Teaser
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:33.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch