|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 4 - Not Our Screens

Default Gothic 4 - Not Our Screens

December 19th, 2007, 22:04
Rounding the flurry of Gothic 4 news is this press release they sent us, denying "any connection" with the screens we linked yesterday:
JoWooD Productions Denies Release of Gothic 4 Screenshots
Liezen, Austria, December 19th 2007; JoWooD Productions would like to issue a statement regarding screenshots recently appearing in press that have been attributed to the company’s highly anticipated RPG title, Gothic 4. The Austrian Publisher denies any connection between the screenshots and the upcoming successor of its famous brand Gothic.

“Screenshots of Gothic 4 have not been released by the developer Spellbound nor Publisher JoWooD Productions. The recently released screenshots did not originate from our new RPG game and do not come close in comparing to the graphical level that Gothic 4 will reach”, explains Johannes Natterer, Head of Marketing at JoWooD Productions. “Gothic 4 will far exceed the aesthetics shown in the mentioned screenshots. At this stage of development we feel that it is too early to release screenshots of the game”.
More information.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 19th, 2007, 22:04
I didn't think they looked *that* bad.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2007, 01:04
I'm sure they're pre-production concept mockups/techdemo/whatever but they're *obviously* Gothic related.

-= RPGWatch =-

Dhruin

Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2007, 01:07
Possibly, but if they're from way too early it makes sense to disassociate the product from 'em, if they're not representing it properly.

Brother None

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2007, 01:11
The recently released screenshots did not originate from our new RPG game and do not come close in comparing to the graphical level that Gothic 4 will reach”
Say, what? Those were some pretty detailed shots as the publisher knows, since those were Spellbound's work and part of the basis of which the publisher hired Spellbound, unless I am understanding the infos coming to us in English.

Didn't some infos come out about which engine Spellbound will be using already?

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2007, 02:02
Why is anyone acting surprised? This was already discussed in an earlier thread.

Those were simply renders that were made with the Vision-Engine to show what Gothic 4 might possibly look like.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2007, 02:13
Originally Posted by Acleacius View Post
Say, what? Those were some pretty detailed shots as the publisher knows, since those were Spellbound's work and part of the basis of which the publisher hired Spellbound, unless I am understanding the infos coming to us in English.
They´ll probably look pretty 2007 to a 2010 audience.

Whether or not Spellbound used the pics or the related technology or assets to pitch for Gothic 4 is unconfirmed. But it also hasn´t been denied, so it´s probably true. They certainly had to show something to JoWooD.

Didn't some infos come out about which engine Spellbound will be using already?
Maybe the middleware developer who published the pictures could give us a hint.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2007, 02:41
Originally Posted by Gorath
Maybe the middleware developer who published the pictures could give us a hint.
Hehe, true.

Maybe even Spellbound's last used engine, it would improve efficiency on their development, since they would feel more comfortable knowing the engine.

Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language…they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2007, 03:09
Spellbound used Vision at least for their last 3 games.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team

December 20th, 2007, 04:22
“Gothic 4 will far exceed the aesthetics shown in the mentioned screenshots. "

I'd be satisfied with a rather mediocre looking game that runs great on my computer and is a blast to play. If they can make it look good while they're at it that's icing.

DogInARocket

Watcher

December 20th, 2007, 06:57
Well, if "Gothic" just looked like these foursome, i´d be really delighted.

What "concept" it proves before all is that the respective engine is totally capable of doing justice to the Gothic heritage by recreating that kind of "rundown" style and environment we cherish so much about the series (esp. screen 1).
And on top it gives an improvement on ground textures way over what we´re used from the PBs (is that bump mapping over there?! ) - at least if used to the extent represented in said screens.

I also like the general outline of the sample locations, like screen #3, that neat main street with the bridge over it, how its hit by the light from inside the siding buildings and the whole scenery dropped against those forests in the back fading into the veiling mists.
Really nice an arrangement.

But let us keep our hopes rather low, just in case they are forced to go below these standards for some reason ("Remember, remember, the 5th of November, … er, i mean 13th of October…!" ).

Ragon, the Critic

Ragon der Magier

Watcher

December 20th, 2007, 07:24
Those screens remainds me the Thief serie, definitely.
“Gothic 4 will far exceed the aesthetics shown in the mentioned screenshots."
If they find Thief aesthetics are low - too bad. I,myself, have nothing against G4 being more darker project.

indigo

Traveler

December 20th, 2007, 07:43
Originally Posted by DogInARocket View Post
“Gothic 4 will far exceed the aesthetics shown in the mentioned screenshots. "

I'd be satisfied with a rather mediocre looking game that runs great on my computer and is a blast to play. If they can make it look good while they're at it that's icing.

I couldn't agree more, the gameplay and atmosphere are what's really important in a Gothic game.

JDR13

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2007, 12:49
what screens?? I didn't see them.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

December 20th, 2007, 13:57
We hid them from you.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457

Acleacius

SasqWatch

December 21st, 2007, 20:50
Maybe RPGWatch should issue a statement, claiming it wasn't our post that referenced those screenshots. Two can play this game!

Oh, I wish I had a river I could skate away on. But it don't snow here. It stays pretty green. I'm going to make a lot of money, then I'm going to quit this crazy scene. — [Joni Mitchell]

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Gothic 4 - Not Our Screens