What games are you playing now?

I liked it as well - but the weird camera swinging around during battles I found annoying.

In the special edition you can disable the camera movement during battle - makes a huge difference.
Cypron was planning a sequel to Gods; in an interview on RPGVault they talked about all kinds of things they wanted to improve, but their official site and forums have been pretty dead lately. The devs haven't posted anything in several months so I fear they might not have secured the funding they needed for the sequel.

I'm playing Puzzle Quest but Mask of the Betrayer is still sitting in the box--the dismal weather has brought out my brooding svenska side and I'm looking for something to get my teeth into, especially after the Witcher. I'm toying with the idea of making a new character--always wanted to play an Arcane Archer--or maybe a Druid with the new elite class...

Yay for me! I have power at my house again! Been running a generator for a day and a half trying to stay warm, and no desktop gaming or internet. ARRRGGHHH!! Thought I would go nuts!

Eh...

Well, single-player only lasted a few days, I've finished recovering (took a whole week to get it all back) all the stuff on my computer that I had stupidly deleted and I'm playing MMOs again. No need to worry about "vicious MMO addiction" -- thing is that my mental state changes very often and so do my activities change along with it. I realize that it might be hard for you to understand, but I am actually a very happy person, regardless...

However my psychiatrist is beginning to suspect that I have several separate sub-personalities coming to the fore, and that might be the root of the problem with drastically changing activities every month due to mental changes. So I might be a schizoaffective (paranoid schizophrenic with severe mood disturbances and major depression) with multiple personality disorder.

So I am hoping for Darkfall still. A lot of great MMORPGs are coming out in 2008, I am very much looking forward to it....

lol :D

I weas just playing the demo of Aquaria.

I'm ... speechless.

I have only seen once or twice such a beautiful game.

I just can't say. I'm speechless. You should try it out yourself, although I'm very sure that some of you won't like it - to some, I'm sure, it might be just "too sweet".

But me, I adore this game, and this means a lot !

Ammon777 wrote:
No need to worry about "vicious MMO addiction" -- thing is that my mental state changes very often and so do my activities change along with it. I realize that it might be hard for you to understand, but I am actually a very happy person, regardless...

I do understand, Ammon777--my second husband had your disorder,--well, actually he had his own version of your disorder :)-- and despite many problems, also had one of the strongest capacities for being truly happy that I've ever seen. Glad to see you have a good doctor and lots of support. Have fun with your latest endeavors. :)

Last edited:
Well, Final Fantasy XII is absolutely enormous and a nightmare for a completist. Frankly I have to tell myself that it's just a game and that I should not waste my life on it and just finish it already. I could finish it last week if I wanted to but I have spent like 5 days running optional content.

Still playing The Witcher and loving it... what a game!

I've also been feeling a bit nostalgic, so I installed Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, and I'm going to play it. It's a flawed gem that I really enjoyed, so I'm going to have another go at it.

Know what you mean about nostalgia, narpet--after trying once again to get into Mask of the Betrayer, I loaded up Might and Magic VI--somehow after two dozen plays, the game's gotten a bit easier, but still every bit as much fun.

Think i'm going to have to wait and play NWN2 then MotB all at once. I just can't connect with it atm.--But first I have to replay the Witcher now that the patch is out. :)

Know what you mean about nostalgia, narpet--after trying once again to get into Mask of the Betrayer, I loaded up Might and Magic VI--somehow after two dozen plays, the game's gotten a bit easier, but still every bit as much fun.

That's funny, because M&M VI is another game that I've been toying around with playing again. It's a really good game... every time I look at my wall of maps (the M&M VI map is in a fairly prominent spot on the wall) I see that map, and I want to play it again :)

That's funny, because M&M VI is another game that I've been toying around with playing again. It's a really good game... every time I look at my wall of maps (the M&M VI map is in a fairly prominent spot on the wall) I see that map, and I want to play it again :)

Yes, I remember your map pics. :) I made the mistake of rolling up an Archer--forgot how much more fun it is to have a 1 Might, 3 Magic party, as I usually go Knight, Druid, Cleric, Sorceror...but I'm level 12 now and it's easier just to keep him. He's pretty useless, though. I may just scrap the party and try ALL magic--never done it that way. :)

I'm currently playing around a bit with the Gothic 2 demo. After futzing with various visual settings I've been able to supress the startling motion sickness I got from previous attempts, but it still makes me feel a bit dizzy.
It looks interesting, but it's very clunky. The inventory system is really primitive and the combat is wretched. So I have a few questions for G2 players.
Is ranged combat more manageable than melee (is there ranged combat even?), and if so is going that route viable?
The control scheme says to press X to sneak, but pressing X causes no change in my character movement - do I need some skill in sneakiness before that key activates? And how is character advancement handled? Obviously I'm not far enough along to have "leveled" yet.
Basically, because I find the melee combat horrible I'm looking at alternate methods for playing, namely a sneaky archer sort of character (which is what I usually go for in RPGs anyways). Is this possible in Gothic 2? The gameworld looks really interesting and there seems to be a lot of things to do and exploration to undertake so I'd hate for lousy combat to turn me away.

Still doing X2. I'm having fun stomping around in my Nova, but I seem to be building my financial empire much slower than past runs and I can't really get my hands around the cause. If I hadn't magically capped and sold a Khaak M5 for half a million credits, I'd be even further behind.

Basically, because I find the melee combat horrible I'm looking at alternate methods for playing, namely a sneaky archer sort of character (which is what I usually go for in RPGs anyways). Is this possible in Gothic 2?

I can only say that it is possible in Gothic 1 (I played this way, partly), but you might run out of arrows during an act (especially in my case the first one), because each act seems to have a limited stock of arrows.

I don't know whether they've changed that in Gothic 2, because I'd like to play it, but can't since my DVD drive only reads CDs nowadays.

Trying to finish Resident Evil 4 so I can fully concentrate on Witcher. I'm having a hard time now tho, because I'm literally running outta ammo. What do I do if I wind up with no ammunition, play the rest of the game thru with my knife? Those two El Gigante's totally ate up my reserves ( one of them went into the lava pit, the other I had to pump half my reserves into).

I just think it's kinda retarded that the merchant has all these weapons and stuff, yet he doesnt have a box of shotgun shells!

edit- After using the knife quite a bit to conserve ammo, Ive realized how powerful it really is. Just never even really used it before as a primary weapon, on after the enemy was on the ground, to finish them off. I used some cheap tactics too like sitting at the top of a ladder and knocking them down til they die too. After doing that for a while, I'm stocked up w/ ammo again. Just wasted Salazar and hopped into a boat w/ Ada.

Last edited:
I'm currently playing around a bit with the Gothic 2 demo. After futzing with various visual settings I've been able to supress the startling motion sickness I got from previous attempts, but it still makes me feel a bit dizzy.
It looks interesting, but it's very clunky. The inventory system is really primitive and the combat is wretched. So I have a few questions for G2 players.
Is ranged combat more manageable than melee (is there ranged combat even?), and if so is going that route viable?
The control scheme says to press X to sneak, but pressing X causes no change in my character movement - do I need some skill in sneakiness before that key activates? And how is character advancement handled? Obviously I'm not far enough along to have "leveled" yet.
Basically, because I find the melee combat horrible I'm looking at alternate methods for playing, namely a sneaky archer sort of character (which is what I usually go for in RPGs anyways). Is this possible in Gothic 2? The gameworld looks really interesting and there seems to be a lot of things to do and exploration to undertake so I'd hate for lousy combat to turn me away.

Sneaking ability is a skill that must be acquired.
Ranged combat is easier to utilize, but much less effective and in the long run will prove more challenging than melee.
Ranged combat is almost useless until you drop some skill points into it, which you can't get until you up a level or two, which you can't do until you go in there with sword swinging. The game auto targets enemies, so your hero's ability to strike with range is dependant on the skill level he has, NOT with your ability to aim the mouse. Most enemies cannot be dropped only using arrows or bolts before they reach you. This is more attainable at higher levels.
What is more is that your 'range' of ranged attacks never increases, only accuracy, and the range is somewhat limited imho. If you insist on playing a ranged character, I would do it as a mage. Magic is more effective than arrows, but scrolls are also limited so use them wisely!
Gothic 2 is a punishing game. Most people either hate the combat or love it. There is no in-between. Once you understand "how it works," you may think it to be one of the best designed systems out there.

Jabberwocky, you'll be happy to know that despite my self-imposed game moratorium til the end of the year, I spotted Sid Meier's Pirates! on gogamer for $20 and went for it. It's all your fault!

Otherwise, still happily cavorting through M&M VI--rerolled to my usual 1 Might 3 Magic party and am cleaning out the politically incorrect cannibals and headhunters of Bootleg Bay atm...soon to be interrupted by the Christmas festivities. Good times. :)

Pirates! is rated "ARRR" for Really great fun!!

Hope you like it... and no, I'm not giving you 20 bucks if you don't! ;)

Back
Top Bottom