|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » 2007 RPG of the Year

View Poll Results - 2007 RPG of the Year?

Mass Effect 88 1.15%
The Witcher 1,803 23.63%
Two Worlds 1,023 13.41%
Hellgate: London 3,456 45.29%
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer 610 7.99%
Eschalon: Book 1 650 8.52%
Voters: 7630. This poll is closed

Default 2007 RPG of the Year

December 24th, 2007, 15:31
Originally Posted by cba View Post
Not to disenchant those hackerz, but all you need to do is disable cookies, and you can vote as often as you want…
Really? I thought RPGWatch was one account-one vote, I don't see how cookies would factor into that.

Brother None

SasqWatch

December 24th, 2007, 15:43
Originally Posted by Brother None View Post
Really? I thought RPGWatch was one account-one vote, I don't see how cookies would factor into that.
Try it out: log out re-enter the site as a nobody

one vote - one cookie
delete cookie - next vote
disable cookies - infinite votes

On the other hand, maybe those votes also take the enthusiasm into account, one really dedicated fan may count as much as 688 normal fans…

cba

December 24th, 2007, 15:50
Yeah, there must be something wrong there. Hellgate doing better than NWN2: MotB? It also may be because most of the folks that would have voted for MotB are voting for The Witcher. I know I did.

1. The Witcher

2. NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

3. Most likely Escalon, but I've barely started that one and I haven't gotten far enough to form a "voting opinion".

Favorite RPG's. Ultima Underworld, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, Vampire: The Masquerade, and The Witcher.

Eliaures

Watchdog

December 24th, 2007, 17:32
Obviously, this poll is going to be biased, which makes it close to worthless. In any case, I voted Mass Effect, for it's excellent production values and story.

Thaurin

SasqWatch

December 25th, 2007, 08:36
Life's far too short to waste time cheating at voting in online polls!! I suppose we could always disable guest voting!!

If God said it, then that settles it!!

Editor@RPGWatch

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
RPGWatch Team

Send a message via Skype™ to Corwin

December 25th, 2007, 09:13
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer

Best cRPG Game of 2007.

Jaesun

Absolutely Fabulous

December 25th, 2007, 10:50
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Life's far too short to waste time cheating at voting in online polls!! I suppose we could always disable guest voting!!
couldn't you simply check the IP instead of just placing a cookie? This would already complicate things for the cheaters. (Although I doubt it was cheating, as first MotB, then Hellgate, then The Witcher got hundredths of votes within a few minutes, more likely either one butthead trolling or several ones having a race (with the Witcher guy winning, gratulations)

Anyway I think you should reset the poll or at least delete yesterday's votes.

cba

December 25th, 2007, 10:54
Hey, I want to vote for Oblivion-The-Best-RPG-EVAH! Why there's no Bored…, ehm, I mean Oblivion on the list??

Crolug

Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Crolug

December 25th, 2007, 10:54
I demand Florida do a re-count!

Korplem

Shipwreck

December 25th, 2007, 11:41
I guess the polish hackers are best after all

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

December 25th, 2007, 11:52
Deducting guest votes, current (Dec. 26, 21:05 local time) results are…

Mass Effect - 4 votes
The Witcher - 38 votes
Two Worlds - 1 vote
Hellgate: London - 0 votes
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer - 3 votes
Eschalon: Book 1 - 6 votes

So among Watch forum members, The Witcher is in the lead ATM, followed by Eschalon and Mass Effect.

Semper HiFi!
Motto of the 54th Groove Bde.
Last edited by Jaz; December 26th, 2007 at 21:06. Reason: Updated.

Jaz

SC-2201
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

December 25th, 2007, 13:37
I'm really surprised that NWN2:MOTB only got 2 votes from Watch members.

I voted for The Witcher but I thought NWN2:MOTB would be a close second in the polls.

Despite all my rage.
I'm still just a rat in a cage.

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
RPGWatch Team

December 25th, 2007, 20:18
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
I'm really surprised that NWN2:MOTB only got 2 votes from Watch members.

I voted for The Witcher but I thought NWN2:MOTB would be a close second in the polls.
I think that's the problem right there — most of us played both, and for most of those who did, MotB comes in second, but with a really nice shiny silver medal. However, we can only vote for one of 'em. It's certainly true that that split of votes doesn't accurately describe how much better TW is than MotB.

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO

December 25th, 2007, 20:49
Hellgate is more at home in the 'Most Disappointing Game of the Year' category.

1. The Witcher
2. MotB
3. Mass Effect (Saw someone else play it for a good 30 minutes. Very cinematic, heavy yet largely inconsequential dialogue, absolutely crappy gameplay, interactive movie + bad shooter clone, minimalist RPG)

SacrificiaLamb

Watcher

December 26th, 2007, 15:23
Actually, it's kind of interesting the only one that's really out of sync with the member vote is Hellgate:London. Otherwise the numbers follow the same pattern, with The Witcher a clear #1, a few votes for Two Worlds, and Mass Effect, MotB and Eschalon vying for second place.

Haven't played HG:L but the internet buzz would suggest that Sacrificial Lamb has given it the correct game award.

Where there's smoke, there's mirrors.
Last edited by magerette; December 26th, 2007 at 17:13.

magerette

Hedgewitch
RPGWatch Team

December 26th, 2007, 22:23
Is this poll messed up, or is Two Worlds in second place with 1018 votes? I personally loved that game (as many of you know), but I can't imagine that many people voting it as their #1 for the year… I personally voted for The Witcher, even though I haven't finished it… it's just that darn good!

Anyway… whether the poll is bugged, or someone is cheating the vote (if possible), or Two Worlds is indeed legitimately in the number 2 spot… I'm glad to see it… I think it belongs in that space

EDIT: okay, I just saw the discussion talking about this… I guess somebody's cheating… which, like others have said… is just goofy.

May all your hits be crits!

narpet

Sentinel

December 27th, 2007, 10:33
Originally Posted by Prime Junta View Post
I think that's the problem right there — most of us played both, and for most of those who did, MotB comes in second, but with a really nice shiny silver medal. However, we can only vote for one of 'em. It's certainly true that that split of votes doesn't accurately describe how much better TW is than MotB.
Agreed, in any other recent year MoTB would have been comfortably in the lead but the witcher does have the edge. Story for story I think they're largely equal but the look and game engine for the witcher makes it a more polished experience overall for me (maybe simply because it's new and fresh).

Great year for rpgs though

Benedict

SasqWatch

December 27th, 2007, 14:50
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Great year for rpgs though
Isn't it sad when a year with 2 successful blue-chip releases and a couple good indies can evoke a comment like this? Not picking on Benedict, since compared to recent years this truly might qualify as a "great" year.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer

December 27th, 2007, 15:11
Originally Posted by dteowner View Post
Isn't it sad when a year with 2 successful blue-chip releases and a couple good indies can evoke a comment like this? Not picking on Benedict, since compared to recent years this truly might qualify as a "great" year.
I don't know, how many other years really had that many that were memorably great? I think both the Witcher and MoTB are games that 10 years from now I'll be telling n00bs they should play because they're true classics. Two stand out gems would have been pretty good going even back in the golden ages.

In terms of the filler releases, four indie games with depth but no flashiness and Mass Effect with flashiness but possibly no depth isn't bad going at all.

I don't know, I've got much less time for gaming these days, but what time I have had has almost all gone on stuff I've genuinely enjoyed

Benedict

SasqWatch

December 27th, 2007, 16:05
Well, I voted for The Witcher.

I've play through Mass Effect several times now and enjoyed it immensely and had this been game of the Year with the same candidates I think I might perhaps maybe would have given ME my vote over The Witcher. However, it is on the light side in the RPG department so The Witcher is clearly deserving of the RPG of the Year title in my book.

MotB and Two Worlds are still waiting patiently in my stash of purchased but not yet played games and I'm looking forward to playing them both when I have the time.

"Chess in particular had always annoyed him. It was the dumb way the pawns went off and slaughtered their fellow pawns while the kings lounged about doing nothing that always got to him; if only the pawns united, maybe talked the rooks around, the whole board could've been a republic in a dozen moves." - Commander Vimes in Thud! by Terry Pratchett

fatBastard()

Hello, I'm a Zombaholic

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » 2007 RPG of the Year