|
Your continuous donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Piranha Bytes RPB - Advent Calendar Complete

Default Piranha Bytes RPB - Advent Calendar Complete

December 25th, 2007, 01:41
Piranha Bytes' Advent Calendar is now complete, with the final piece being a downloadable music track by KaiRo (thanks for the reminder, Maylander).
More information.
Dhruin is offline

Dhruin

Dhruin's Avatar
Watcher
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team

#1

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 11,964

Default 

December 25th, 2007, 01:41
that track, now I know where the true successor to Gothic 3 will come from
Melvil is offline

Melvil

Melvil's Avatar
Super Duper Super Sweet

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Barva, Costa Rica
Posts: 608

Default 

December 25th, 2007, 08:08
yes pardon my language but fuck me that is an awesome track, and the gothics already have my favourite fantasy music ever. i'm picturing nature having an even bigger role in the new game more 'tribal' than 'gothic'. kai truly is one of the best living composers.
curiously undead is offline

curiously undead

curiously undead's Avatar
tuned to a different freq

#3

Join Date: May 2007
Location: standing under everyone
Posts: 812

Default 

December 25th, 2007, 13:17
Hm, I like it a lot.

Listen carefully though, and you'll notice how Kairo totally smuggled in parts of the Gothic music! Cool.
Krzychu is offline

Krzychu

Krzychu's Avatar
Sentinel

#4

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 486

Default 

December 25th, 2007, 19:27
Originally Posted by Krzychu View Post
Hm, I like it a lot.

Listen carefully though, and you'll notice how Kairo totally smuggled in parts of the Gothic music! Cool.
KaiRo can't detach himself from music he ones composed for Gothic - "one of the best living composers" - definitely not! Gothic music was great, and only because of that this medley is also good - not because of Kai creativity.

blah

Guest

#5

Posts: n/a

Default 

December 25th, 2007, 21:01
does mozart sound like mozart? yes
all of kairo's music is from gothic games so it sounding like gothic is not a flaw but and obvious recognition of his style. i wasn't implying that he was the greatest composer of all music only the music that finds itself in videogames.
curiously undead is offline

curiously undead

curiously undead's Avatar
tuned to a different freq

#6

Join Date: May 2007
Location: standing under everyone
Posts: 812

Default 

December 25th, 2007, 22:31
I wouldn't worry about an unreg troll CU, if you liked the music more power to ya
Melvil is offline

Melvil

Melvil's Avatar
Super Duper Super Sweet

#7

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Barva, Costa Rica
Posts: 608

Default 

December 25th, 2007, 22:50
Amazing, that desktop wallpaper showing a weather beaten ship carrying our nameless hero barely alive and landing at some strange volcanic island was previously described some time ago and suggested by some gamers with inventive realism of how the next PB game should/might begin - i chipped-in also with yeah what a great idea - and there it is!

Kai's music gives the true authentic gothic game sound of "atmosphere" because he is the originator of that sound starting from day one of the whole gothic series. I can't speak for anyone else but listening to that clip i can sense a definite progression of the gothic music style - the sign of a true music maestro. May we have much more of this in the PB release.
Wulf is offline

Wulf

Wulf's Avatar
Inquisitor

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North-West England
Posts: 1,096

Default 

December 27th, 2007, 19:28
Originally Posted by curiously undead View Post
i'm picturing nature having an even bigger role in the new game more 'tribal' than 'gothic'.
Exactly what I thought. Hopefully it's true, and we don't get "just another Gothic".

Originally Posted by blah View Post
Gothic music was great, and only because of that this medley is also good - not because of Kai creativity.
Huh? You, my friend, are confused. You say the medley was good because Gothic's music was good. How was the Gothic music good if not for KaiRo's creativity? I smell contradiction.

Also, the medley is not a ripoff of Gothic music. There is approximately 6 seconds total where the music mimics Gothic's themes. This is clearly an hommage, and an acknowledgement that the new series are an evolution of what makes Gothic Gothic.
Ismaul is offline

Ismaul

Traveler

#9

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2

Default 

December 28th, 2007, 01:13
Originally Posted by curiously undead View Post
I'm picturing nature having an even bigger role in the new game more 'tribal' than 'gothic'. kai truly is one of the best living composers.
Maybe they've read my thread "Ein Projekt" ofer thare at the forums of dtp (publishers of Drakensang) ?

In it, I wrote about the fact that open games are often RPGs and Shooters - but NEVER adventures !

I mean - imagine Monkey Island with an environment off Far Cry (and of course sticking to the original plot), or an adventure game using the world of let's say Gothic or Legend - Hand of God …

The point I wanted to show there is that such great natural environments like the one of Far Cry are almost EXCLUSIVE to RPGs and Shooters - but never to Adventures.
An island crying for attention like in Far Cry - which would be increadible fun for me to explore, complete with hidden treasures, secrets and so on - is instead "wasted" for a sjhooter game where you have no time at all to pay attentio to the beauty of the landscape.

To me it's like polishing and later using an diamond for nothing else than scratching holes into glass windows. Such a waste !

Apart from the fact that there aren't too many adventure games at all out there, I personally do find the lack of games without such an exploring-friendly environment disturbing - it almost tastes for me as if everyone jumps onto the waggon of a promising game development, only adventure games don't.

This is what it reminded me of.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)
Alrik Fassbauer is offline

Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer's Avatar
TL;DR

#10

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Old Europe
Posts: 15,621

Default 

December 28th, 2007, 02:34
Huh? Back when the FPS genre still pretty much consisted only of id Software's corridor shooters (in 1993) - Myst was released. The adventure genre has already "been there, done that".

Anyway, if you want some open world adventure goodness, try Riven - The Sequel to Myst.
KazikluBey is offline

KazikluBey

KazikluBey's Avatar
Sentinel

#11

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 525

Default 

December 28th, 2007, 03:15
1st person adventure games are hardly interactive and open worlds.
they are pop up books at best.
adventure games where you can actually see a character are far better in my opinion because at least then you can see reactions to trial and error puzzle solving. i love adventure games but despite trying many i've always tore my eyes out at some point and never finished any 1st person adventure game, including myst and i've been playing and enjoying adventure games since maniac mansion. they're just like boring and beautiful iq tests to me i guess. if i'm going to game i want immersion and characters.

i'll second Alrik's motion though. action adventure is actually probably my favourite genre but those are often rather linear (understandably). most rpg's hardly give you a sense of adventure as its uncover the fog of war or follow the compass. the gothics especially the earlier ones always rewarded the adventureous character by finding a hidden tomb or climbing up to an otherwise inaccessilble area. while that probably has its roots more in platforming type games rather than adventure, i still find it loads of fun especially if some 'hidden' story line is involved kind of like that quest from gothic we won't talk about, eh Wulf
curiously undead is offline

curiously undead

curiously undead's Avatar
tuned to a different freq

#12

Join Date: May 2007
Location: standing under everyone
Posts: 812

Default 

December 28th, 2007, 13:42
Originally Posted by curiously undead View Post
1st person adventure games are hardly interactive and open worlds.
they are pop up books at best.
Could you expand that line of reasoning? 'cause I'm not following.

adventure games where you can actually see a character are far better in my opinion because at least then you can see reactions to trial and error puzzle solving. i love adventure games but despite trying many i've always tore my eyes out at some point and never finished any 1st person adventure game, including myst and i've been playing and enjoying adventure games since maniac mansion. they're just like boring and beautiful iq tests to me i guess.
You prefer trial and error puzzles to Myst's "IQ tests"? God forbid a game requires the use of logical rather than lateral thinking. If there's one thing that puts me off a lot of adventure games, it's the whole lateral thinking "try to guess the wacky combo that the designers thought up for getting past this situation".

if i'm going to game i want immersion and characters.
Now please give a definition of "immersion" that excludes the first person perspective.

I guess it's quite obvious we like different sorts of adventure games.
KazikluBey is offline

KazikluBey

KazikluBey's Avatar
Sentinel

#13

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 525
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Piranha Bytes RPB - Advent Calendar Complete
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:25.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright by RPGWatch